Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Hi Def TV with Winegard Movin View 3500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Hi Def TV with Winegard Movin View 3500

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
thataway

Pensacola, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/10 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently purchased a "new" used 2007 Holiday Rambler which has a Winegard Movin View 3500 satellite antenna. It seems to run, but so far we have not been able to "test it".

The more I read and talk, the more confused I become. Direct TV rep-didn't know anything about RV's--and claimed it would work fine. Several of my RV friends say use "Dish only". The local camping store, says, it should work with Dish, yet they also sell Direct TV subscriptions.

Reading I find that a WB 2700 converter may be necessary for Dish HD and the 3500.

Plans are traveling over much of the US (SE, Calif. Rocky Mounts, PNW and NE)--and we have two High Def TV's in the RV. They work well on the antenna, but we want to utalize the satellite dish for high def TV. We have Cox Cable at our home, and don't have need for satellite TV at home.

Recommendations--which service?--any problems as we move? If I get a "portable" antenna, for when the RV is under trees--which is best? Is the WB 2700 necessary for HD and the Winegard 3500?

Thanks!

Bob and Marie Austin
Angel miniature poodle
2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PDQ
Toad 2012 GM Yukon XL 4 x 4

Vectron

Perry, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/10 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The signal you receive on your rooftop antenna is High Def. You do not need satellite to receive high def. Actually the over the air signal is typically a higher quality signal then the satellite signal. So if your just looking for high def signal you already have it. Of course you do not have the channel selection of satellite, but then again. . It's FREE!

thataway

Pensacola, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/10 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vecton,
Thanks, The reason I put in a second HD TV is to get the on the air channels without using a converter box (easier to change out the TV for a larger one HD, with built in DVD, and have room left for a second satellite receiver in the cabinet in the bedroom).

However, we travel to many places where there is no on the air TV (remote areas), and want to use the satellite there. The question is can I get all of the DISH SD channels on the Winegard Movin 3500, and if I add the RB 2700 does that allow me to get all of the DISH HD satellites. My neighbors who have DISH seem to get a very high quality signal--equal to what I get on the air, and on my cable HD, so there is some advantage, as well as the increased channel selection.

I had Direct TV when fulltiming in the RV about 15 years ago, and things have changed a good deal since then (auto find, in motion etc)--I have the antenna, and want to get full use of it.

Again, thanks for any comments or hints of what my best approach would be.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/10 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO RV Dome will be able to receive DIRECT HD signals. If you want Sat HD you must use Dish if you want to use a DOME. Doug

Buck62

Charleston, South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/10 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

NO RV Dome will be able to receive DIRECT HD signals. If you want Sat HD you must use Dish if you want to use a DOME. Doug

correct, only Dish uses the same frequency for both SD and HD so your only choice for HD with a dome is Dish. I would call Weingard technical support and they can give you a definite answer to your question. I know current KVH domes can get Dish HD but earlier ones need a circuit board upgrade or a software upgrade.

lryrob9301

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/10 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one question, how are your tv's recieving the sat signal from the reciever? I mean do they have HDMI as well as coax cables? One thing your about to find out is the HD sat reciever only transmits HD signals over the HDMI output or the RGB outputs but not through the coax, that's just standard def.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2011 Scion x/B Toad

thataway

Pensacola, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/10 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A partial answer: First lots of kudos to Winegard tech support. They replied in a timely fashion, had excellent advice and followed up. Impressive in today's world--maybe that is why I have been using their products since 1962! The 311 will emulate a SW 42 switch, with programing--you have to have the dish and receiver powered up, go to Satellite, then Menu and enter 661, after the dish locks on the satellite (it takes longer with the in motion dishes. Then do a switch check--and it should show 110 satellite and 119 satellite, with odd and even and SW 42 as switch.

Dish sends out a technician to "install" their receiver--and we are going with a high def receiver (same price)--plus probably local channels--I believe can be changed when we travel if necessary. The tech comes tomorrow and we will see what else happens. You have to use their receiver ("leased"--as part of the package). We will just mirror the bedroom TV for now--or use DVD's or high def off the air.

Great to find a company who stands behind their legacy products--I understand that there are frequent changes in the satellites, and that at times it becomes necessary to change out the hardware fo the antennas. Lets hope that 110 and 119 are good satellites for us for at least some time.

Incidently I did have to set the MV 3500 dip switches to DISH, as it was on Direct before. This was a good time to check the mechanism. All was OK, except there was some debris from installation which I removed to prevent future problems.

Heir Max

membership 1/16/2001, Bay Minette, AL

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/10 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing you need to do is remove the cover. There are some switches in a row,as stated above, I think 8 of them. For Dish, two of them are on, and 6 off. For Direct, All are off except #8, which is on. It should work fine with either. Not sure about it being HD though. I have a MovinView. Does a good job.

99 Tradewinds
2000 Explorer Toad

thataway

Pensacola, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/10 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all! A friend gave me a dish 311 receiver (of course no card). I powered up the antenna, and connected the MV 3500. The programs came up on the TV screen, and the satellite searched, but did not lock on any satellite. Would this test for the function of the MV 3500? I will call Winegard in the AM and ask some questions; such as if there are upgrades I need.

If I subscribe to DISH, will the tech provide a receiver (Preferably one which will allow two different TV's to work off the one satellite)?--or do I have to buy a receiver from a retailer? Again, I don't need Satellite TV at my home, and want it only for the RV.

Again, many thanks for the answers so far!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/10 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will make it easy

The Movin-View will NOT WORK with DirecHDTV

It will work (and quite well, assuming it works at all that is) with DirecTV (NON-HD) and in fact this is the service I suggest for any in-motion or dome type antenna

But it will not work with DirecHDTV

It MIGHT and I stress MIGHT with Dishnetwork HDTV.. You would have to call Winegard customer support with it's make/model and serial number in hand to find out.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Hi Def TV with Winegard Movin View 3500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS