Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: 73 dodge midas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 73 dodge midas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
ALnCORY

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/10 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eaglesfly,
Looks like you have a good start.... check out the "total rebuild of a 79 dodge" I think it is... you may not have to go that far. I bought my 74 Brougham with a dodge 360 a couple years ago.... motor and tranny run well, I have not had to do much to the them. The 360 is a good motor. I had to redo alot of the interior in mine as well but they are quite easy to work on really. The older ones are pretty basic. Feel free to ask questions, and check out some of the other rebuild sites. There is also an "Old dodge motorhomes" thread on this site with many pages of info. If I ever have a question I just ask it and usually get several good responses. Have Fun!!!

I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

eaglesfly

va

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/10 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

Thanks for the photos! You've got work ahead! In the corner by the nest it looks like wooden framing. Is that right? If it's good, reinforce it. If it's bad, you'll have to rebuild it and don't skimp! There are several extensive threads where folks have rebuilt these. Search "Spectramatic" for one.

i only get this thread when searching for spectramatic. any direct links to the thread you are talking about?

i am reading and reading the thread on the 79 dodge total rebuild.

ALnCORY

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/10 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eaglesfly,
the spectramac is called this:

"fixing water damage on the old dodge"

eaglesfly

va

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/10 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALnCORY wrote:

Eaglesfly,
the spectramac is called this:

"fixing water damage on the old dodge"

strange, but all i get is this thread when using search. am i doing something wrong?

TreeSeeker

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/10 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge

eaglesfly

va

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/10 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oh yes, i found it, wow, i am on page 27 now. lol great thread. thanks

scooter62

central ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/10 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are actually 2 really good threads about rebuilding old dodge RV's. 1 - is Total rebuild of a 1979 Dodge class C, that one is oldtrucker63 in Harlan, Kentucky. 2 - is Fixing water damage on the old dodge, that is Spectramatic in Monroe, Washington. I have subscribed to both of these and they are both full of very good, interesting information. Both of these men have taken on really big jobs and looks like they are doing fantastic work on both RV's.

Scooter62

3jvj

Trolling the tetons

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/10 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fun project!

x2 on the ballast resistor. It's small insurance to have a spare. If your distributor is up front it's a big block (400,413,426,440).

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/10 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least in the year we owned (1971) Dodge offered Slant Six and 318 V8 then 360 V8 a couple years later. The big block came still later and I think they only offered the 440. There was a 383 big block and I thought one of those'd be good to replace the 318 in ours. Luckily I ended up with a 360. The luck was because the Six, the Small Block, and the Big Block each called for a different front crossmember. The 318 ==> 360 swap revealed enough odd little problems. Changing (even finding) a different Xmember would have been way over the top.
If you wonder how we got the engine out (manual says dismantle the whole front end and pull it out forwards) we removed the passenger side seat, door, and front wheel. It came out the door opening.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

eaglesfly

va

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/10 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well i finally got some paneling off one side and i was shocked to see there was no frame for a wall. is this normal?

there is one long 2x2 or 4 that runs along (front to back) the top and one on the bottom. the siding is attached to that on the outside. styrofoam inside and it looks like some type of adhesive was on the foam and the paneling on that (inside).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 73 dodge midas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS