Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Front Cabover window leak
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Front Cabover window leak

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
speaste7

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/10 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all,

I have a class C with the regular non-sliding front window. Recently we discovered water tracks running from the bottom of the window (inside). I checked the top lights and they are not leaking. I did notice that the rubber gasket on the outside of the window was pulled out in the corner on one side.

This rubber gasket seems different than the ones on side windows. On this front window it does not have the "gutter slots". I am wondering if the leak is as simple as replacing this rubber trim. It doesn't seem to be glued in with anything.

I just want to make sure that the gasket/trim thing is what I should do. And that I don't need to do anything else.

Thanks Guys!

rvsatek

AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/10 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, the rubber exterior seal is not the water barrier for the window. It is cosmetic. The seal for the window is between the window frame and the exterior wall of the unit. To reseal the window, remove the ring inside the the window, remove the complete window and frame. Clean all old caulk from both the window and the RV. Use butyl putty tape around the window frame and reinstall the window. Make sure the window is centered in the hole and tighten the screws in an alternating pattern to make sure it is tightened evenly. If you want to replace the rubber seal around the glass to make it look better feel free.

Larry
1994 Ford F250/7.5L/410 gears
2001 Keystone Sprinter 276RLS 14' slide

fisher60

Plant City, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/10 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to re-sealing the window frame as rvsatek stated, it is also possible that the seal between the glass and the frame is leaking. While you have the window out, take it to an automtive glass shop and have them take the glass out and re-seal it to the frame. Then re-install it as mentioned. The rubber trim that you said is pulling loose is common. On a warm day you can just grab it and stretch it and stuff it back in.

'01 Dutchman Express 28A, Borg Chrome Dually Valve Stems, Pacific Dualies Wheel Simulators, '06 Tuscon, 2014 FLHTCUTG
Good Sam Life Member

speaste7

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/10 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the last post might be what was happening. The metal frame where the rubber trim fits was full of water on the bottom. I think perhaps the water sat in there and got through a place the window wasn't sealed to the frame? The water stain on the inside is only on the middle of the wall right below the window. The sides of the wall under the window are dry. Which makes me think water was not coming in above and rolling around the window. But I'm no expert.

The DW is VERY nervous about taking the window out. It doesn't seem like major surgery to me. We already removed the inside trim ring. Isn't it just held in by the ring of butyl tape? We've pushed on the inside and it's not budging but might just need to warm it a bit?

rvsatek

AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/10 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After removing the ring you will have to use a putty knife on the outside and gently push the putty knife around the widow to separate it from the sidewall. It is possible that water is getting in between the frame and the glass but not common. The only way to be sure is to have a glass company remove the glass from the frame and reseal.

speaste7

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/10 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy, window came out easy!! Just used a five and one tool to coax it away and once one corner comes out, was cake! I'm removing the butyl tape now and will take it to an auto glass shop tomorrow to have the glass removed and reset.

After removing the window I THINK the leak was this seam where the aluminum frame of the window meets in the middle after its bent into the window shape. I would have thought they would put the seam at the top?!?!? Thinking about putting it back in with the seam at the top but not sure.

fisher60

Plant City, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/10 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speaste7 wrote:

Boy, window came out easy!! Just used a five and one tool to coax it away and once one corner comes out, was cake! I'm removing the butyl tape now and will take it to an auto glass shop tomorrow to have the glass removed and reset.

After removing the window I THINK the leak was this seam where the aluminum frame of the window meets in the middle after its bent into the window shape. I would have thought they would put the seam at the top?!?!? Thinking about putting it back in with the seam at the top but not sure.

My seam is at the top on all the window frames.

speaste7

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/10 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Crud,

I got that window out and was in the processing of fixing it when I noticed some water dripping from the bottom corner of the cabover. I took off the trim strip that separates the cabover floor from the curved fiberglass part that curves around and up to the front window and it's soaked in there. Weird thing is it's soaked on both sides and middle is dryer. Excatly the opposite of the dampness inside by the windows where the middle is clearly wet and the sides of the window are not.

I took the screws out of the side trim pieces and the screws in the front bottom were rusted. As I moved up the RV front, the screws were not rusted.

I am dreading that I am going to have to do a complete rebuild like memory roads! Has anyone used an alternative like letting it dry out and then using epoxy to stablize the luan?

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/10 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There have been many , many, many examples in the trailer, truck camper, class c, owners of what these front windows leaks have caused. If you would care to do a search reading about their problems around the rebuilds,.To start off the owners concern of how far down or just plain how much damage was done,,,,, when they started to remove the interior paneling to see. Not, on how to cover it up. If in your research you will find that the mold got under the mattress structure, head board walls, and into the very framing. Then after seeing the extent, it was both unsafe & unhealthy. Given that I have never read or seen any photos where the person said that they will just put on some epoxies and put the panel back, leaving the blacken wood & mold to fester in the walls.

John H

speaste7

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/10 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John,

I'm very familiar with the various levels of teardown both on this site and others. An often sited resource is the very well documented blog of "memory roads" which details a problem set much greater than mine I believe.

I have not seen any mold yet but as you note, I have not ripped everything apart yet.

I was motivated to ask about epoxy solutions by link which details such a repair. Was not sure however if this is really an option, seems kind of risky to me but thought I'd ask.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Front Cabover window leak
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS