Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 1991 Fleetwood Bounder Generator Wiring
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 1991 Fleetwood Bounder Generator Wiring

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Flametamer123

Albemarle, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/10 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I am one of those guys that can read for days and not seem to understand what I am reading, but if I see it, it will all fall into place. I have a 1991 Fleetwood Bounder, and I think it has been re-wired, I have an open junction box in the generator compartment, with no voltage on the wires when plugged into shore power, I am looking for some one who lives in NC, preferably near Charlotte who has a 91 bounder or similar model that might let me have a look at how these are connected, or someone who would look at mine and tell me what I need......any help would be greatly appreciated.

AKincer

SW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/10 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't be able to help in terms of looking at a unit, but I might be able to try to describe what you have. I use to own a 91 Pace Arrow and I bet it was wired very similar to your Bounder.

You didn't say what size generator you have, but I'm guessing it was either a 6.5kW or a 7.0kW.

If that's the case then the junction box in the generator compartment will not having any voltage on it when connected to shore power. Shore power is fed directly to a transfer switch (which in my case was underneath the fridge along with the converter).

These large generators were set up to run 2 AC's at the same time. There are 2 120V outputs from the generator. You should see 2 breakers with. Both of these outputs are fed to the jobx. One of the outputs (usually a 20 amp breaker) was fed directly to the second AC circuit. The other output (30 amp breaker) fed a line that went to the other side of the transfer switch.

So what you would have is transfer switch that had a 30 amp shore power input and a 30 amp generator input. It simly switched power between these inputs.

The generator had a second feed that went directly to the second AC circuit and was independent of the rest of the coach wiring.

When plugged into shore power, you could only run 1 of the AC's. When the generator was running, you could run both.

That's my guess based on how my PA was wired.

If you don't have 2 AC's or you don't have a larger generator capable of running 2 AC's at once, then it's probably not wired as I described.

Hope that's a little helpful.

2008 KZ Spree 324 BHS
2008 Silverado MAX
Reese Dual Cam

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/10 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YEP what he said , no power on box unless the onan is running, my Komfort motorhome is wired the same way

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Flametamer123

Albemarle, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/10 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its a 7Kw, I am not sure about what model it exactly is, I guess I need to hunt the transfer switch......I got the wiring diagrams, and its not on there.....thanks for the responses, and anyone else with any other input or help, please continue the responses.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/10 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely the transfer relay is located in a box bolted to the backside of circuit breaker power center.
What is the problem you want to fix?

* This post was edited 05/04/10 08:03pm by MrWizard *

Flametamer123

Albemarle, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/10 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First I am trying to find the transfer switch, second I am pretty sure that the electrical (at least where the shore line is) has been re wired, I want to make sure the generator is still wired correctly before trying to start and run it.

Flametamer123

Albemarle, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/10 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im sorry, I forgot to mention, that I have 3 places in question.

1. There is an open junction box where the shore line ties into, all wires are connected, and power goes to the panelbox just fine.

2. There is an open junction box in the top right front of the generator compartment, all the wires in it have been disconnected, with no power on a voltmeter while hooked to shore power. There is nothing coming from generator to that j box unless it comes from behind the wall.

3. The old panelbox (has been replaced) still has all the wires in it, and no breakers, on the right side was where the breakers were, on the left I still see a bunch of 12v fuses in there.

I have not been into the generator, and I'm just trying to make sure its safe before I start it up.

AKincer

SW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/10 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the most part, I've done what I can to describe how it most likely looked when it left the factory. If it's been customized then you are going to be reduced to tracing wires to understand what's been done. Regarding your 3 places "in question".

1. Sounds like everything is as it should be especially if all the 120Volt appliances work fine when plugged in.

2. As stated before, it isn't likely that you would have voltage in this box when connected to shore power. It's nearly certain that this box is intended to be fed by the generator and then goes on to feed one side of the transfer switch. If there is no voltage on the wires when connected to shore power as you stated, and there are no wires in there from the generator, it sounds like you have an empty junction box.

3. This is a little confusing. I'm assuming when you say "panelbox" you mean breaker panel. If there are no breakers, then either you wouldn't have power to any of the 120V devices or they are being fed directly from the power cord which would be a significant safety concern. The fuses that you metion are almost certainly associated with the 12 Volt side of your coach and would be very normal.

I'll suggest that you start here:

12 Volt Side of Life

and then come back with specific questions or maybe even some photos. I'm afraid we're going to have a tought time helping you without better info.

Flametamer123

Albemarle, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/10 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First and foremost, my primary concern is to assure that the wiring is intact, and safe before firing the generator, secondly once I am sure the wiring is safe, I am seeking to have a better understanding of these systems so if I do find a problem, I will know better how to handle it. I am working on a budget, so I am trying to save as much money as possible.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 1991 Fleetwood Bounder Generator Wiring
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS