Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Portable oxygen generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
hooligan

Pensacola,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/10 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpy- Medicare and home oxygen equipment is indeed confusing. Old rules:: At 18 month's the equipment transferred to the patient, but Medicare paid for routine checks on the O2, repairs, tubing, masks etc. and refilled tanks. There was a provision that if repair exceeded 70% (I think) of concentrator value, Medicare paid for a replacement. There was a lot of mis-information about you owned it you paid to fix it.
However in 2008 it changed again, now a 36 month Medicare paid rental, includes Concentrator and assoc. equipment. Then the concentrator and equipment is provided by your O2 company, without reimbursement. Medicare pays for 6 month reliability/maintenance checks, for the remainder of the 5 year useful life of the equipment, and for refilling oxygen tanks. You can read it here. Medicare

Don't know what the new healthcare plan will bring.

For the OP- We use a Sequal Eclipse, purchased on our own, our provider does not have them available. Excellent concentrator.

Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2000 GeorgieBoy Landau DP
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/10 05:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for that information. however after they gut SS don't know what will happen.
bumpy

PennyPA

Out There Somewhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He probably had a Helios Liquid O2 portable. He would have filled it at home. There are also small gas O2 tanks about that size, too. I have one that I can fill here in the RV. I'm no longer on O2 24/7 since the surgery but it's here...just in case, LOL. It weighs about 8 lbs full and I often wear it in a backpack.

It's wonderful how they're coming along with lighter and lighter portables so people with lung problems can get out and about and lead a close-to-normal life.

COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Pounce Perfect(Dog-At Rainbow Bridge), Taco Terror (Dog), Sam Social (CAG) & Nellie Nuisance (Kitten)

PennyPA

Out There Somewhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a washer/dryer closet in our bathroom without the w/d so that's where my Invacare concentrator lives. Keep the closet door open when it's running (just at night since surgery; before it was 24/7) and the bedroom door closed. Doesn't bother the thermostat in the living room and we don't get heat or noise from it in the bedroom.

CA POPPY

Santa Clarita, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We passed a man when we were walking at the park today, he was cheery and walking at a pretty frisky pace. We exchanged greetings and only at the last moment I realized he was wearing nasal cannulas. Then I turned around as he passed and saw that he had an oxygen tank apprx the size of a quart coffee thermos over his shoulder. How wonderful to have that mobility! I had never noticed anything like that before. Are those something new?

Diane and Jim

North Central PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/10 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband has an interstial lung disease and needs to be on oxygen. We have a large concentrater at home along with a Devilbiss 1 fill for his portable tanks. On a trip to Georgia (800+) miles we carried both units with us. We deal with a small home oxygen company and the technician loaded the units into out motorhome. Both units are much too heavy for me to manage. Does anyone have some suggestions for us?
Kudos to Highmeadow Campground in Hershey. Jim had surgery at Hershey Medical Center and I stayed at the campgound which was less than two miles away. Ww had to extend our stay and being a holiday weekend, the campground was full but they did have an emergency site for us to use...it was a regular full hookup. The workers would stop by to check on how I was doing, I had the dachshunds with me too. What a wonderful campground!
Diane

ramblemutt

Mountains of Utah-7000'

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/10 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I consider my needs dictated by my prescribed dosage. I am currently on 2 l/m, so can get along nicely with M6 & M9 cylinders when on the road. I tow about 800 miles one way a few times a year to avail myself of the very welcome sea level breathing. When I get below 3000' or so, I can maintain 88+ O2 readings without supplemental O2 when I am driving, but as soon as I stop to do something, I harness up. I can walk the beaches with my setting on 1 and maintain good SOP levels as well. I took an Eclipse on one trip and used it a little, haven't bothered to take one since....I have access to the Eclipse through the clinical trial in which I am a participant.

My O2 provided by Lincare and I am quite satisfied with their service and availability. They have two locations on the Oregon coast near the RV parks we frequent. I take my home unit for use in the TT.

I'm not recommending any of this,just passing along some information.

I have Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.

"WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US"
TWO OF US + THREE FUR KIDS (36 lbs, 44 lbs, 80 lbs)

SADLY, HEALTH ISSUES HAVE FORCED ME TO GIVE UP TRAILERING. MY EXCURSION AND TT HAVE BOTH BEEN SOLD. IT'S BEEN A HELL OF A RIDE.

bkschwarz

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My mom got her Sequel Eclipse in January, and I truly don't know what we would do without it. Unfortunately, there is nowhere in AK to get the Helios system because none of the providers will accept new patients due to Medicare reimbursement. We just rigged our camper with the batteries and inverter to sustain her O2 requirement for the short weekend camping we do. Our RV guy called Sequel directly, talked to tech support, and they were very helpful in directing him on what was needed. This weekend will be our first trip trying in without hookups. Should it not meet our expectations, we will leave early, but we have to at least try.

If your DH can find the Helios, that sounds like a great help for him. They do have other long lasting portables, but many require pulse which in my mother's circumstance she is unable to do.

Good luck in finding something that works for you.

bkschwarz

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/10 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I just had to update and say the batteries and inverter were a success

shoreman

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/10 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for all of your input. I have been without my computer for quite a while but now I'm back! We have purchased the Eclipse and it has really been a godsend.

Whaland and Susan Clark
2007 PF36SK Paradise Pointe fifth wheel
2006 3500 Duramax/Allison Chevy dually

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS