Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: No turn signal lights

Posted By: helgi on 05/18/10 08:12pm

I would like to ask the help of the more seasoned members on this forum with the problem that seemes to haunt me. All the lights are working on my Georgie Boy Cruisemaster, with a F53 chassis and a 460 engine. It does not seem to have power going to either the turn signals or the warning flashers. Did look up on the fuse and it seems to be okay not burned etc, I do not know where the flasher is located in this unit it is not on the fuse panel. Is it maybe also possible that there is an other fuse somewhere that controls the turn and hazard signal lights?
Any help and suggestions are really appreciated.

Dan (helgi).

Posted By: LadyRVer on 05/18/10 08:15pm

Did you try the bulbs? I had the same problem on a fiver and it turned out to be both bulbs were burned out. Just a thought...

Posted By: Goldencrazy on 05/18/10 08:28pm

I had that problem and my connection was corroded and wasn't making contact. Sprayed some WD 40 on and cleaned it and voila!

Posted By: DUTCHSTARWEST on 05/18/10 08:37pm

Maybe some help and then again, but have you given a look up under the dash panel ?? Look near the keyed ignition hot feeds. this should be directly behind the key "start" area under the dash. Hard to get at and dark of course.. the fasher should be at the end of one of the wires leading from the afore mentioned tangle of wires ...
Hope that this will assist and that you can climb under the dash.
Wishing safe trips and cheap fuel..

Posted By: ticat900 on 05/18/10 08:54pm

helgi wrote:

I would like to ask the help of the more seasoned members on this forum with the problem that seemes to haunt me. All the lights are working on my Georgie Boy Cruisemaster, with a F53 chassis and a 460 engine. It does not seem to have power going to either the turn signals or the warning flashers. Did look up on the fuse and it seems to be okay not burned etc, I do not know where the flasher is located in this unit it is not on the fuse panel. Is it maybe also possible that there is an other fuse somewhere that controls the turn and hazard signal lights?
Any help and suggestions are really appreciated.

Dan (helgi).

Is it a amber, red, red rear lite system or just Red Red?
do your brake lites work if its just a Red,Red rear lite system
you say all my lites are working then you say i have no turn signals or 4 ways??
Please clairify for me

Posted By: YC 1 on 05/18/10 09:08pm

Have you actually measured the voltage at the light bulb socket or used a test light?

Test light

As mentioned the flasher is probably under the dash. Can you hear it clicking?

Also use the test light on both ends of the fuse that supplies the voltage because fuses can break contact with one end and not actually look bad.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

Posted By: ticat900 on 05/18/10 09:23pm

YC 1 wrote:

Have you actually measured the voltage at the light bulb socket or used a test light?

Test light

As mentioned the flasher is probably under the dash. Can you hear it clicking?

Also use the test light on both ends of the fuse that supplies the voltage because fuses can break contact with one end and not actually look bad.
warning flashers and Turn signals have seperate flashers

Posted By: ticat900 on 05/18/10 09:25pm

helgi please respond if u want real help.

Posted By: tgobob on 05/19/10 07:09am

You state that neither turn signals nor emergency flashers work. That would lead me to conclude that you have just one flasher, which is most likely located behind the dash. My coach has separate flashers for turn signals and emergency flashers and both are located behind the dash. Replacing flashers on trucks, motorhomes and other large vehicles is not unusual.

tgobob
Titusville, FL
2003 Allegro Bus
350 HP Cummins ISC diesel engine
Freightliner chassis
Age is a state of mind. Think old and you are old. Think young and you're still old.

Posted By: bsinmich on 05/19/10 08:44am

Unless you have the yellow turn signals on the rear of your coach the turn signal is usually the same filament as the brake light. Do your brake lights work? It is tough to find a flasher that doesn't flash. They get hid all over the place pn these vehicles, and many times on the end of a cord.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Posted By: Doody on 05/19/10 09:29am

Ford uses a "wiper" contact in the steering column that allows the cruise buttons on the wheel to work. In mine, I found that when I put on a turn signal to change lanes the cruise dropped out! Had to replace the turn signal assembly in the column and it fixed it. Found that the switch going bad on Ford's is common. Don't know if you have cruise or if it works, nor whether this would also affect the flashers but it may.

Stop by and say Howdy

Posted By: pkunk on 05/19/10 09:45am

On my F53, the flasher is on the firewall at floor level behind the steering collum.

1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Posted By: rKyDeX on 05/19/10 12:32pm

I had the same symptoms once. Somehow the hazard switch had been engaged yet neither the hazards nor turn signals flashed. I wiggled the hazard switch a little and the hazards started flashing - disengaged it and then the turn signals were operational. I cleaned the contacts on the hazard switch with spray and everything now works as it should. It's worth a try.

Posted By: ticat900 on 05/19/10 07:42pm

bsinmich wrote:

Unless you have the yellow turn signals on the rear of your coach the turn signal is usually the same filament as the brake light. Do your brake lights work? It is tough to find a flasher that doesn't flash. They get hid all over the place pn these vehicles, and many times on the end of a cord.

save your breath I already asked him that same question like 2 days ago

Posted By: helgi on 05/19/10 09:26pm

To all the people that responded to my cry of help. And to explain what is happening, when I start engine and turn the lights on everything works clearance head tail, but when turning left or right no go deader then a doornail so try the 4 way flashers same result no go. It seems that there is no power to that circuit. Checked the fuse panel replaced the fuse that according to handbook is the right place 15 amp fuse still nothing, so my question is, "is there an other fuse somewhere or could it be the flasher?" The big book from ford also states quote, on F series motorhome chassis, an electronic flasher is used to control both the turn and hazard warning. the electronic flasher is located on the side of steering column support.
That's great only thing there is nothing on the left side of the steering column and I may be missing something but I have not a clue what I'm supposed to be looking for, the flashers I know are always round maybe someone can set me straight on this as to the shape of it.

Thanks for all the comeback and advise believe me it is greatly appreciated.

Dan (helgi).

Print  |  Close