Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Awning Blisters?!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Awning Blisters?!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sheddah

Virginia is for Lovers

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/10 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After I finished washing the awning on our MH this morning the sun came out to dry it. Once it was dry, I noticed quite a few blisters in the fabric. They were filled with air. (It appears that the fabric is actually made of two layers and in these spots they had separated.) This was the first time I noticed them. After I rolled up the awning and then let it down again the blisters had flattened. Has anyone else seen these? What would cause them and should we try to do anything about them?

DH and Me
2004 BT Cruiser 28 Ft
2006 Pontiac Vibe
Coach-Net Member

sayby1campers

Rock Hill,SC

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/10 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same issue... ny awning's getting old(03). I found some tears in the awning near the roof. I sealed them up with awning repair tape(Walmart) and all's well.

DW, DD(10y/o) and CoCo our Sharpei(wrinkle dog)

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I have had the problem and it never got any worse after several years. I was told to use a hypodermic needle and inject some water proof thinned out glue into the bubble. I never did that, but I think it would have worked.

billyboy

md

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 04:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have the same problem with mine and i saw it when it was brand new. the factory said to cut out a large section of it and send it to them or an a & e dealer and they would evaluate it for warranty which is 3 years. i was on a trip at m.b. and didn't want to not have it , so i didn't do anything, but they are still there 2 years later. i don't know if it will be a problem down the road.

08 33 windsport 22k towing 06 saturn ion

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/10 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The separation will continue to grow and will eventually start to fill with water, and may even begin to peal…

It is a common problem that often goes unnoticed until it gets pretty bad…

They are two layers of vinyl laminated top and bottom to a nylon fabric…

I believe they are just using cheaper laminating processes and thinner vinyl then what they once did…

If it is under warranty considering the cost of repairs, don’t ignore it… they are well aware of the problem but will act as though yours is the first one they heard of… the material itself is covered for three years, but not the labor, unless you can convince they it should be a goodwill gesture…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

daytona7

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 04:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is a Pin Hole in the awning, instead of buying a whole roll of tape, request a sample from ETERNABOND. They send a 2 in. square sample in silver. OR, just go to your locla Post Office and get a small roll of Their Packing Tape. Have both on 2 pinholes for 3 years and still holding.

USAFBILL

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dometic told me mine was "delamination" of the material and they paid for a new awning and the labor. Now this was four years ago and the awning was 2 years old.

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/10 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That seems about it for them today… my 91 has what I believe to have its original 24 foot fabric yet and is in good shape…

My 04 bought in 03 fabric started delaminating a couple years ago, and is trash now, but I use it year round to…

I was lucky and got a replacement fabric (not for free) real cheap form dometic as a good will gesture and will be installing it very soon…

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/10 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

USAFBILL wrote:

Dometic told me mine was "delamination" of the material and they paid for a new awning and the labor. Now this was four years ago and the awning was 2 years old.

yep... the warranty is two years parts and labor and three years parts only...

Sheddah

Virginia is for Lovers

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone! Well the awning is 6-7 years old now, so I guess it's out of warranty. ;- ( I think you are right about the quality deterioration. My daughter has a 1996 with the original awning and has no blisters at all. Ours is a 2004. How many years should one expect an awning to last now days?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Awning Blisters?!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS