Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Winch on Tow Dolly
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Winch on Tow Dolly

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
cochise49

Lake Elsinore, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/10 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am buying a new tow dolly tomorrow and wondering about available options. Is a winch attachment necessary or would it only be for loading a disabled car? Any help would be appreciated.

Bev& Keith
Kyriana(14)Aidan(10), Emily and Olivia (2) Grandchildren
Chloe(Shi-Tzu)
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

jjhamick

Bucks County, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/10 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a dolly for a couple years and it didn't have a winch. A disabled vehicle would be the only reason I can think of to have a winch. I will say that I did once see someone overdrive the wheel stops and put the two front tires in front of the pads. Getting it off was very interesting and easier that I would have thought.

I guess I'm not as smart as everyone on this forum so I occasionally make a mistake. I often wondered what it would be like to be perfect. At least now I know who to ask.

* This post was edited 06/01/10 08:08pm by jjhamick *

John, Connie and Miles!
1998 Winnebago Adventurer
1999 Ford V10 chasis
2004 Jeep Liberty

"Get your facts first, and then
you can distort them as much as
you please."
-MARK TWAIN-

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/10 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once rented a tow dolly, and it would have made life a lot simpler if it had had a WINCH on it.
But I can't imagine wanting a WENCH on a tow dolly.
(look it up in your Funk & Wagnalls)
(or perhaps your Webster's)

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

cochise49

Lake Elsinore, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/10 01:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. BTW....I cold think of a few reasons for having a "wench" on a dolly but, I'll forgo that as well as the winch

turninghawk

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a winch on mine, but I use it for purposes other than taking a toad along. A winch is very inexpensive, easy to install, and takes up almost no room. It's kind of like a cheap insurance policy. You may never need to use it, but if you do you'll be thankful you spent the few bucks for it.

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/10 11:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to use a Demco dolly all the time, for about 25 years, now tow 4 down. Never had call for a winch. You simply slowly drive the car up the ramp till it hits the stop-blocks, and secure everything. Once I drove the MH and dolly out to the desert to "save" my daughter when her car broke down on the way back from Vegas. With the car in neutral and the assistance of some nice people we pushed the car into position and onto the dolly. For RV use, a winch would be just added weight.
Just my opinion
Happy Trails.

Daboo

Texas Panhandle USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my tow dolly doesn't have a winch....I can see where it would be useful in some situations...but..mine has a spare tire on the tongue and add the weight of the winch, I probably couldn't pick up the tongue to hookup...it is heavy enough now...good luck

Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turninghawk wrote:

I have a winch on mine, but I use it for purposes other than taking a toad along. A winch is very inexpensive, easy to install, and takes up almost no room. It's kind of like a cheap insurance policy. You may never need to use it, but if you do you'll be thankful you spent the few bucks for it.

Yep, that's why the first thing I did when I bought my flatbed car-hauler was install a winch. It works great for securing three 1500 lb. bales of hay on the trailer! I used a 14 foot chain as a bridle, brought the winch cable over the top of the bales and hooked it to the middle of the chain, and tightened it up. Those bales didn't move an inch on the way home!
For occasional use on a dolly, it wouldn't have to be an electric winch; a simple, inexpensive, hand crank boat trailer type unit would do the job just fine!
In various applications around the place, I have three 12 volt winches and two handcrank ones. They are VERY handy at times!

cochise49

Lake Elsinore, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/10 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also opted for a spare tire. The dolly is pretty manageable by hand if on level ground. Pulling it up an inclining driveway was an entirely different story. I will now look for a caster wheel that attaches to the tongue. The dolly fits well nested tongue first under. The DP. Most of the tongue is out of the way.

RRyall

SW PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would see no use for a winch except as mentioned for a disabled vehicle. To me it would seem like a waste of money. The few times I have recovered a disabled vehicle with a dolly, I either used manpower or a come-along and chain to load. A come-along could have many other uses, and far cheaper than a winch installation. JMO

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Winch on Tow Dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS