Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Full Hook-Up Basics
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Full Hook-Up Basics

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
joshotter

WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LAdams wrote:

I use the Valterra EZ Coupler sewer system of hoses and connectors...

A right angle connector and rubber "donut" will provide a tight seal and in some states is mandatory... There are kits that can be purchased at various camping stores that contain several connectors and hoses that may fit your needs and you can add to additional pieces as required...

The gray water (shower and galley) can be left open but some people will leave them closed and dump periodically... Your are correct on the black tank - leave it closed and try to dump when it is as close to full as possible...

I carry 2 10' sections of sewer hose and several sections of assorted length plastic rain gutter to support the sewer hose and obtain the proper angle for proper drainage... There are other supports available for the sewer hose as well... I also carry the "splice" connector to facilitate connecting 2 hoses together...

Below is a link to the Valterra web site

http://www.valterra.com/RV/rv-main.htm

Les

I also use this setup. The only other thing I have is a clear connector with a hose flush out on the trailer. With this I can see if I have a clog and I can also see if I have enough slope on the hose. If you have a mid bath you may want extra hose. I have a mid bathroom and usually need all 20' of hose. With the sewer hose setup shown above you can screw the hose to the fittings. Trust me, when you buy the cheaper models you'll regret it when a clamp comes loose.

2006 Dodge Megacab
2000 Aero-Lite 255 RK

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with similar to what Les Adams and JJBirish posted, but I wanted to be sure and have the quick-connect bayonets on all ends. Then I could connect an extension in the middle very easily.

Here are some related post with pictures and parts.

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fusea........d/22057169/gotomsg/22059318.cfm#22059318

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fusea........d/23971732/gotomsg/23972390.cfm#23972390

* This post was edited 06/02/10 09:49am by wittmeba *

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were travel trailer newbies not long ago ourselves but after spending approx. 120 nights in our travel trailer since the first of the year it has put us on the fast track to becoming old veterans at this stuff.

So one of these Rhino sewer hoses with the clear 90 degree Ell and one of these Slunky sewer hose supports is about all you'll need. Works for us.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/index........tchallpartial&Ntk=p_keyword&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

http://www.campingworld.com/search/index........tchallpartial&Ntk=p_keyword&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

JAL_Camper

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used all kinds of sewer hoses/connections over the years and got tired of pressing hoses on fittings, clamping down, etc. Went to Valterra EZ Coupler system (already mentioned/pictured by LAdams, our moderator) with two 10' hoses and haven't been any happier. Doughnut easily screws onto CG sewer connection and hookup takes about two minutes.

Before I installed my black tank rinser on last rig, I used Hydro Flush to help rinse black tank. (If you have a black tank rinse kit already installed on TT, then you could just get a Clear Sewer Adapter.) I install Hydro Flush on TT sewer outlet before hooking up sewer hose. When dumping/rinsing black tank, I can see if all those little "fishes" have swam through the tube before closing black tank and flushing grays.

JAL
2002 Burb 2500 LT, 8.1L, Autoride, 4x4
2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS
Check It OutReese HP 1,200 Lb. Bars WD/Dual Cam HP Sway Control/Prodigy® Brake Control

Family: Two Baby Boomers with Two Generation Y Kids -- All RV Generation

CAMPED IN:

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tessa25 wrote:

Go to a Camping World and buy a Rhino sewer kit (as linked to by beerbreath), a 25 foot potable water hose (white), a water pressure regulator with a gauge on it, a Surge Guard surge protector, and you'll be good to go. You already have the power cord that came with your RV.

When you get to your site. Plug the surge protector into the electric pedestal, turn on power to the pedestal, then connect your power cord to it and your camper.

Run the water at the water source for a second, connect your hose to it and your camper.

Connect your sewer hose to your camper and then into the septic hole.

Go to your hot water heater area (outside), open the pressure relief valve at the top of the water heater until water comes out,(I would not recommend this step this releases to much air… water expands as it heats, air will compress, the water outlet in the tank allows enough air to remain in the tank to absorb the waters expansion…) run water through your faucets until water comes out. Turn on hot water heater (button on inside of your camper).

Sit back and relax.

Rhino sewer hose kit

Surgeguard surge protector

Adjustable water pressure regulator

Water hose 5/8"

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

tessa25

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oops. Thanks.

Palomino Gazelle G150

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is how the lazy poor boy dumps the sewer at a full hook up site: After about a couple of days of filling the tanks, I bring out my sewer hose & connect it to the unit's outlet point. I stretch out my hose and, with rubber gloves on, stick the hose into the sewer hole. No fancy connectors. Flush black tank then gray tank. Lift up hose to complete drain process. Put hose away and repeat process every couple of days. Since hose does not sit there all day long, my backside neighbor doesn't have to look at my sewer & the park can't get mad that I don't use the required connectors.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

korbe wrote:

Here is how the lazy poor boy dumps the sewer at a full hook up site: After about a couple of days of filling the tanks, I bring out my sewer hose & connect it to the unit's outlet point. I stretch out my hose and, with rubber gloves on, stick the hose into the sewer hole. No fancy connectors. Flush black tank then gray tank. Lift up hose to complete drain process. Put hose away and repeat process every couple of days. Since hose does not sit there all day long, my backside neighbor doesn't have to look at my sewer & the park can't get mad that I don't use the required connectors.

well I have had people do it exactly the way you do it, while I was 2 sites over and down wind and eating our dinner…

I hope you don’t mind if I don’t say thank you…

Air tight connections are required for reasons, and I support every one of them…

In short looking at your properly connected pipe is far less offensive…

Not to mention I have seen the mess when the hose jumps out of the pipe that wasn’t connected good…

ron the newbie

new york

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sewer hose supplied by the dealer seems to work OK, BUT putting it on the black connector that was also supplied was virtually impossible for me to accomplish. A fellow camper suggested buying a Valtera TT sewer pipe to hose connector; it screwed on easily.
Some campgrounds require that a 90 degree elbow be attached to the end of the hose when placed in their receptacle; less chance of the hose popping out and contaminating the area.

aeohio

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would agree on the Valtera EZ Coupler system, I do not have it but have all the same stuff. Just bought individually as needed, probably would have been eaiser to get the kit. Only noticed it mentioned once by Korbe but rubber gloves are something that I always use. I bought a box of disposable gloves at Costco and just keep them in the TT. I use them when setting up and taking apart the sewer line, after all I know what was in it and would rather not touch it if gloves are availible. I would go out and get some extra sewer hose but I am still using the cheap one the dealer supplied with no issue. I do carry extra hose in case it breaks or if sewer is further away then the cheap hose from the dealer will reach. Also the sewer hose support is not a bad idea but not needed all the time.

2010 Passport UL 290BH
2006 Ford Expedition Limited

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Full Hook-Up Basics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: