Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Honda EU2000i gas cap
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda EU2000i gas cap

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Pinebarren

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/10 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know what Honda lawn mower gas cap will fit on a Honda EU2000i generator?

I'm building an extended fuel tank and was thinking that a mower gas cap my be cheaper that the OEM cap with the on/off dial for the vent.

2008 Ameri-Lite 21MB
2001 Ford F150 4X4

Nights camping in 2008: 27
Nights camping in 2009: 21
Nights camping in 2010: 6 (and counting)

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/10 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't think so. Most I have seen are extra Honda Generator caps that are modified.

I bought THIS one off eBay. Ridiculous expensive, but it's anodized red and reeel pretty.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

BillandCarole

Vacaville, CA,, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/10 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your better off just buying a 5 or 6 gallon tank with the cap and hose. I tried to successfully modify my extra cap ($20), bought/modified hoses, bought lots of fittings and adapters, and several gas cans, and finally gave up. The seal on the cap is VERY sensitive and a huge hassle to keep sealed when we are continually moving them both down the road and in and out of storage etc. The whole assembly is available for about a $110 on line. The tank was 6 gallons, real rugged, and came with a fuel gauge. They extended the hose for free also as the stock one was too short for us.

http://www.vmsales.com/New_Images___Text_Layout_1.html

This was my final solution.

There are other solutions out there as well and I would definitely recommend a professional solution. A lot less hassle
Good Luck
Bill

2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2K8 Komfort 241fs
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's
"And were still wandering..."

AtlantaGuy

Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/10 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When dry camping, I lock my generator in the car every night and like the fact that I can turn the gas cap to the off position to avoid fumes from escaping the unit. ....Perhaps this is something you might want to consider. Maybe not.

2013 Monaco Knight 36PFT Diesel Pusher
2008 Honda CRV

bananadanna

Cambridge, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/10 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pinebarren wrote:

Does anyone know what Honda lawn mower gas cap will fit on a Honda EU2000i generator?

I'm building an extended fuel tank and was thinking that a mower gas cap my be cheaper that the OEM cap with the on/off dial for the vent.

Eh, building an extended tank is still on my to-do list but I do remember a post that said the Honda lawn mower cap worked. Vague memory of availability at a big-box store.

From my old files:
article with gas cap suggestions better than using glue.

Give us a report!

Dan
02 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 long tall home brew conversion

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/10 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two EU2000i's and have set each up for extended run. Knowing the time I spent rounding up parts and the cost of the parts I would probably go with one of the retail kits made for accomplishing the task.

I can't link it but here is one of the suppliers http://durationpower.com/store/. You can copy and paste.

2005 F250 Crew Cab LWB Power Stroke, 2007 Montana 3500RL Fifth Wheel,Honda EU3000IS, Twin Honda EU2000i's, S&W security system

Pinebarren

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/10 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought everything except the gas cap from Wal Mart so I didn't have to go far. I opted for the marine disconnects and fuel line with primer bulb. I did see a post on here where the person bought a Honda mower gas cap, its probably cheaper.

I have about $50 in it so far. A lot cheaper than the $119 I've seen online. I can get the OEM gas cap for $16 but was looking into a cheaper one. Lowes has a Honda cap for $5 but it didn't fit.

* This post was edited 06/27/10 09:28pm by Pinebarren *

bb_94401

Columbia Falls. MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/10 12:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a post "Honda Fuel Cap Mods" I listed the parts and showed how I modified a duplicate cap and attached it to a marine fuel tank.

It has worked well for two years now, no problems.

Best part is that I use it all the time, as I don't have to deal with refilling the generator from the CARB compliant fuel tanks that always leak ...

'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

Beltone Magoo

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/10 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some nice aluminum caps for the EU 1 & 2000 series, that have the cap already threaded for a screw in fuel fitting, advertised on Ebay. Shiny one was $30 and a red one was $32. I got one and saved a LOT of trouble trying to rig up the gas mower/genny caps.
Good luck, safe travels and happy camping!

Doug & Connie
2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial
2001 Subaru Forester toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda EU2000i gas cap
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS