Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Looking for the best full time living fifth wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking for the best full time living fifth wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/10 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are no 5th wheels suited for full timing. The are some that have better insulation or better cabinetry but when in really cold weather you will be cold and when in really hot weather you will be warm. Folks full time in all brands and all price ranges we have seen them all in our 4 years of long timing. Since you are full timing and the RV has wheels stay out of hot and cold weather and save the money for extra insulation. We have a 06 Montana 3400..NOT a full time rig. The cabinetry and the carpet are still in very good shape. We do not do cold or hot weather that is the magic of a RV with wheels. Keep up the maint and just about any mid price unit will serve you well.

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

fullautodave

currently in Rogers, Ar

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/10 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My advice on picking a fulltime trailer is to decide on how you will use it. If you are going to spend the winters in warm country and summers in cool country then just about any trailer will "do". It don't take much of a trailer to keep you warm when the temp "dips" to 45 degrees and you don't need two airconditioners to keep cool in 75 degree weather. Where you need to spend some money on DRV and Hitchhiker trailers is when you spend the winters up"north" or find yourself down "south" in the summer.

2009 Mobile Suites TKSB3
2008 Ford F-450 Superduty
2009 Jeep Rubicon toad
1999 Bigfoot C1011FR

Delaine and Lindy

Linden Tn. (The View)

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/10 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recomend Drv Mobile Suites the only other 5h wheel we have owned that I would recomend would have been the Cambridge by Keystone. However it was dicontinuted after one year. Drv puts on their web site its for extended use. Drv has the thickest walls, 3 1/4" and about the best R factor on the market. Drv can also be custom ordered. Good Luck on your research. GBY.....

P.S. This is from actual experience, this is our second Mobile Suites....

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

Rick & Cheryl

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/10 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fullautodave wrote:

My advice on picking a fulltime trailer is to decide on how you will use it. If you are going to spend the winters in warm country and summers in cool country then just about any trailer will "do". It don't take much of a trailer to keep you warm when the temp "dips" to 45 degrees and you don't need two airconditioners to keep cool in 75 degree weather. Where you need to spend some money on DRV and Hitchhiker trailers is when you spend the winters up"north" or find yourself down "south" in the summer.

I would agree that you dont need two ac's in 75 degree weather, but the OP listed his home state as GA. And to use his trailer in Ga during the summer there's an awfully good chance two ac's would be nice,,if for no other reason to use the second ac to minimize the noise in the living area.

Second, even though you may move north, we are currently in SE Idaho, not far from the Tetons, it has still reached the high 80's several days,,and after being gone all day, two ac's cool it down much faster. So the point is that even if you are north for cool weather, it can still be hot. And sometimes going further north just isnt doable for a short time frame.

And last, for about 800-1000, it adds an insurance policy for when or if your main ac fails.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/10 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt and Betty...Entegra Coach is a division of Jayco, and is a line of upper end 5th wheels well suited for full timers. Not just "Luxury", but "A Passion for Perfection".

In the first place, these are not ordinary 5ers, they are built and based on the former superb "Travel Supreme" RV's. Jayco bought the assets and plans, as well as the designs when Travel Supreme unfortunately failed. To that Jayco added their own high quality, and packed their 42 years of RV building experience into each Entegra.
Fullbody paint is standard, 4 door refrig, 42" and 22" LCD TV's, dual pane dark tinted safety glass windows, real fiberglass molded front and rear caps, etc!

As far as what makes it a Full Timing unit...

It has 2 1/2" Insulated Sidewalls, Polar Pack Insulation with Reflective Insulation + 1/2" Foam Insulation Laminated to the Sidewall, and superb insulation...truly 4 season!

Floor & Underbelly (R-33)
Roof (R-24)
Sidewalls (R-16)
Front/Rear Endwalls (R-28)

Mobile Suites, by comparison...has R-25 rating roof and the walls have an R-13 insulation rating.

And a METAL enclosed fully heated underbelly. And a short list of options...everything else is included!

The Alante triple axle is the top of the line, with the Emblem next. They also have a luxury Toy Hauler the Entimidator.
Entegra Coach!

Good luck!
Best of all, the value is typically Jayco, you won't have to bust the bank to buy one as opposed to some other brands!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/10 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last I looked at The RV Consumer Group information they did not rate any 5ers or TT's for full timing. The seem to lean toward Class A's for that severe service.
The better rigs are rated for snow birding but that's as far as they go. Mostly it's because of the appliances are not designed for continuous use. If you sat in our RV while either the furnace or A/C was running you would know why it is not rated for full timing; one could not stand the noise!

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

fullautodave

currently in Rogers, Ar

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/10 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick & Cheryl wrote:

fullautodave wrote:

I would agree that you dont need two ac's in 75 degree weather, but the OP listed his home state as GA. And to use his trailer in Ga during the summer there's an awfully good chance two ac's would be nice,,if for no other reason to use the second ac to minimize the noise in the living area.

Second, even though you may move north, we are currently in SE Idaho, not far from the Tetons, it has still reached the high 80's several days,,and after being gone all day, two ac's cool it down much faster. So the point is that even if you are north for cool weather, it can still be hot. And sometimes going further north just isnt doable for a short time frame.

And last, for about 800-1000, it adds an insurance policy for when or if your main ac fails.

Your kinda making my point. 80 degree weather if one aircon won't cool and keep it cool then you have a poorly insulated trailer. In my Mobile Suite I have lived in southern New Mexico in the summer where temps were over 100 degrees several days in a row and spent a winter in Northwest Wyoming where temps went down to minus 20 degress for three days in a row without problems. These are the conditions these high end trailers are built for, if your not going to be there then a less expensive trailer will do. Spending $1000 for a "spare" air con is somewhat excessive in my opinion. The one in my TC is 11 years old and has never failed, if it did it could be repaired several times for $1000.

jjwms

Nampa, ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/10 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We fulltimed for 10 years, 7 in a 32' HitchHiker II w/2 slides and the last 3 in a 35' HitchHiker Champagnew/3 slides.

However, other units we considered and would have bought had floorplan been right were Newmar, the older Carriage that were quality built, and Teton.

Having said all this the fifth wheels in favor by fulltimers now are custom built New Horizon You can research the manufacturer and how they accommodate owners by Googling them.

Go with the best unit you can afford. if you can find a good used one it could be a good buy. But take a very good look at how you want to live. For instance, will you be boondockers in the true sense of the word (not Walmart campers)or do you want to move from one RV park to another and stay long term in each rather than do a lot of moving to just tour. If the latter, go with a motorhome instead of a fifth wheel.

The other thing we recommend to those who want to fulltime is to committ to doing it for two years. If you are just "going to try it for 6 months (or a year) it is almost guarenteed that you will quit before that time runs out.

Fulltime RVer May 1997-June 2007
2013 Winnebago Vista Model 27N

buta4

MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/10 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend that you give Americana fivers a shot. Anything that resists 8 below zero deserves further consideration.

Americana Clicky

Ray

mcferland

Sequim

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/10 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just sold our Open Range 385 because it just wasn't up to full time living. At the two year mark a lot of things began to break or show bad signs of wear. It hasn't been towed that much. The Jensen DVD went out, the floors are collapsing in the bathroom and dining room, the sink started to fall out in the kitchen because the brace wasn't installed correctly, the clothing rod in the bedroom fell down because only a few staples were installed correctly into the framing, the fake fireplace only produces heat for a short time than shuts off, the refridgerator door fell off the other day, the curtains rub on the curtain rod holders and fray them very wuickly. I have restrung some of them more than once. We haven't been rough on the unit at all. This concerned us. We can't see this unit lasting two more years without a lot of money being put into it. We love the floor plan but are very disapointed in it for full timing.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking for the best full time living fifth wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS