Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Air Conditioning a tent
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Air Conditioning a tent

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Angel Boy

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/10 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About Air Conditioning your tent, Tent Camping! Hello folks, My lady, me and the kids enjoy camping in TEXAS! It gets hot here in the Hill Country. We purchased a tent that has a boot fly. Sure the place that you put your dirty or muddy boots. Well the fly is open to the interior of the tent. Mine a North Fort Mountain tent fits perfect around the face of a regular window AC unit. Then under the fly, the fly that goes over the top of the tent. So prior to snapping on the fly, I lay over the top of the tent, a thick heavy duty tarp. So when the fly is snapped on, over the top of the tent. The tarp is not visible. This Looks great and the tarp is hardly visible from the outside. The tarp also makes for great shade as well as a good insulative barrior from the heat of the sun. Blocking the sun's hot rays from the interior of the tent. I can say, that in the heat of the day! It is very cold inside of our tent. At night it gets real cold! Only be sure to bring along two 18 inch long 4X4 blocks to set the AC unit on. This keeps the AC unit up off of the ground, supplying planty of ventallation. Also do not put anything on or around the AC unit. If the AC unit is blocked from the circulating air, it will freeze up. Then you will be HOT! So use some common sense and leave the AC unit un obstructed even though it does look like a great place to set stuff. Also you must use a high current rated extension cord. Not the cheap Wal-Mart types. They will over heat and burn the AC unit out! So use at least a 15 amp cord or better. Then make sure you keep the lines free from the areas that may get wet. Electricity and water do not mix! But if used wisely, this makes for a great camping experience. My family and myself have done this for years and reserve camp sights that have electrical hookups. Then if you add some porch lights or teakie lamps! it sets the mood for the evening camping experiance. I suggest purchasing a Futon mattress, this works great as a bed! Only make sure the AC unit stays free from obstruction as I stated before and you keep it high and dry. You will enjoy this set up and maybe in the future, the tent companies will install an opening for an AC unit that is about 6" off of the ground so as to do exactly what I am doing now. Then if you get the chance read my Xlibris book "Angel Boy", it makes for a great addition to your camping trip as well. Enjoy and happy camping!

* This post was last edited 07/02/10 11:27am by Angel Boy *   View edit history

BaldyD1

Central Florida area

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/10 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about using one of the portable A/C's on wheels. Just set it in the tent and place the exhaust hose out of the tent entrance. May be less "wirk" and less "strane". Here's hoping you have Good & Cool camping.

Speedy, Jackie & Dusty {Shih-Tzu/Maltese}
2006 Kountry Star KSDP 3912
2005 Saturn Vue (dinghy)

SkiingSixPack

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/10 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We need pictures of this! Love it!

My better half
DS-15,DD-14,DS-12,DS-12
Summit Red Sunshine-1
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Angel Boy

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/10 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, I do not want my tent open to the outside. Bugs, snakes and other critters can crawl in through any opening. My setup is tight and the exhaust from the AC is HOT. An airconditioner creates a lot of heat as well as cold! The face plate is all that is visable in the tent and also floor space is always a premium!

Angel Boy

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/10 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently camped in the Blanco Texas State park, in BLANCO Texas. It was beautiful, use plenty of sun screen! The mid day sun can fry the average Joe! We also packed away the Harley, in the early mornings we ride through the hill country. Then swim for the rest of the day. The folks at the park are great. Drinking is not allowed so be prepaired for that. In fact all of the State parks do not allow the display of drinking. Only we had everything there to be happy. If a person needs to have a beer, you can go into town to a loacl pub!

Angel Boy

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/10 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sight wont let me post a picture!

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/10 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Angel Boy wrote:

We recently camped in the Blanco Texas State park, in BLANCO Texas. It was beautiful, use plenty of sun screen! The mid day sun can fry the average Joe! We also packed away the Harley, in the early mornings we ride through the hill country. Then swim for the rest of the day. The folks at the park are great. Drinking is not allowed so be prepaired for that. In fact all of the State parks do not allow the display of drinking. Only we had everything there to be happy. If a person needs to have a beer, you can go into town to a loacl pub!

Comforting to see that it's not only Californians but Texans also who will roll over and give up their personal freedoms because of a few bad apples.
Now I know of one other thing we can do in our State Parks than Texans can't. I'm supremely bummed!

Angel Boy

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/10 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But we have camped three times this season and have used the AC each time. I did have an issue, the AC froze up! Reason you ask! The cooler was right against the side of the AC unit and towels were laid on top! Once I removed the objects the AC thawed out almost instantly and returned to blowing cold air again. So placing an ac unit in the tent is not only loud, but lacks ventilation.

SkiingSixPack

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/10 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Angel Boy wrote:

The sight wont let me post a picture!

Sure it will, once you figure it out

Click here to learn how to post pictures.

texasbaskets

Frisco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/10 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tplife wrote:

Angel Boy wrote:

Comforting to see that it's not only Californians but Texans also who will roll over and give up their personal freedoms because of a few bad apples.
Now I know of one other thing we can do in our State Parks than Texans can't. I'm supremely bummed!

It's drinking in public that's prohibited in all Texas State Parks. You can do as you please, just don't give the Ranger a reason to ask you about it.

Michael, Kay, and Prissy (The vicious 6 pound Malti-Poo)
'05 Coachmen SportsCoach SE 372DS a.k.a. "Mana's Cabana"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Air Conditioning a tent
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS