Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Keystone Hideout Issues!!!!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Keystone Hideout Issues!!!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
NW Hideout

Longview,WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/10 03:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well we have had our Keystone Hideout 23RKS just over a year and are experiencing our first issue. The night before we were to leave for our first trip of the year, I tried to put the slide in and it wouldn't go all the way in on the bottom. We were supposed to be on the road by 0530 since we had about 7 hours to drive. I was up until midnight trying to figure out what the problem was but no dice. So I waited until the local dealer opened at 0800 and convinced them to take a look at it.(They were great. Got me right in even though they were slammed.) THey got to work on it and after about an hour the service manager came and asked me to come look at something that he call "Disturbing" They discovered that the metal support that goes from the frame to the outside wall of the trailer just behind the slide was buckled causing the whole back corner of the trailer to sag. Then we looked at the one in front of the trailer and discovered that it was doing the same thing. He called them outriggers, I have no idea what they are called. I also look at the kitchen counter and noticed that it was also sagging which makes sense because it is a rear kitchen and the wall that it is connected to is sagging. The worst part of this is that we are 2 months past the warranty period. The service manager called Keystone and explained what was going on to see if they were going to do anything and they asked for pictures, which he promptly emailed. It has now been a week and we have heard nothing back from keystone. I emailed Keystone yesterday( I realize it is a holiday weekend) explaining what I believe to be a structural failure to a trailer that has been on the road 14 months or so or possibly a design flaw. I looked at another keystone they had there for service and noticed that the supports on it in front and back of the slide were considerably more substantial. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Should I hold out much hope that Keystone will do anything? I fear that they are going to say sorry you are past the warranty period. Sorry for the long post, but I am frustrated.

2012 Cougar 280BHSWE FW, 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 5.9l Cummins, AFE intake, Diamond Eye 4" exhaust, 315/70/17 & 2" leveling kit, Pullrite Superglide 16k hitch

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/10 04:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HI,

I would hope that they would take care of it.

In California, if you have a 1 year warranty, but the RV was out of your hands for a period for warranty work, then those weeks will not count to the warranty period.

Even so, the warranty is there to cover defects. The Mossy Warranty basically states that the warranty must meet certain things in order to be valid, and not short change the customer. So when there is a disclaimer at the bottom that says "You may have other rights that vary from state to state" it means that you may have consumer protection beyond the basic warranty - depending on the minimum requirements in the state that you live in.

There is a huge amount of legislation regarding the minimum amount that a warranty must cover. If they don't cover this problem, get a lawyer to look into it. And get a price for the dealer to have it repaired.

Because it is body work, even if repaired by the dealer, or factory, they must cover their repairs for a really long time. In California it is for the lifetime that the owner has the vehicle, (unless it is damaged again, such as in a collision) because auto body shops must cover repairs that long. (this law was implemented due to very poor repair practices in years past)

Good Luck,

Fred.

Yakin669

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/10 05:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is defect due to the manufacturer, then chances are you may want to hire an attorney. I have had no problems with Keystone, but then again, I have had nothing serious like this!

One thought, have you had ANY repairs done during the warranty time which could be attributed to this? Just thinking that would be a way to show the damage was occurring during the warranty period. Just an idea.

Good luck. Keep us posted. Hoping to hear a postive post!

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

Working towards full-timing!

2009 Keystone Hornet 32BHDS "The Blue Hornet"

2004 Dodge 2500 5.7 Hemi

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/10 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NW Hideout wrote:

I looked at another keystone they had there for service and noticed that the supports on it in front and back of the slide were considerably more substantial.

You would be very wise to take pictures of that unit and ascertain its build date. That may prove that Keystone knew of a flaw and corrected it in later production models. That information may be the key to a successful outcome for you.

mike77leprechaun

Ishpeming, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/10 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hear anything?

Current Rig: 2011 Salem 29QBDS Towed with a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500.
Past RV's:
08 Jayco 30BHS, 02 Dutchmen 30FK, 77 Coachmen Leprechaun MMH
Past TV's:
06 Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4,02 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4,01 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 94 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4

backin15

Burnsville MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/10 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't think those "outriggers" really did anything. On my old KZ I kept hearing a clattering sound and found the one behind the wheel had been struck by something. It had a bow to it and had snapped right off the frame and was just hanging by a loose bolt. I was just going to remove it but I had a friend with a welder reattach it. There was no change to the structure of the trailer, nothing sagging inside. How many do you have? Both my KZ and my current Flagstaff have many spaced a couple feet apart.

2010 Flagstaff 25DS
2004 Dodge Ram 2500

pextron

Eastern USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/10 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at the following picture and note the outrigger circled in yellow. Is that the part that is buckled? If so, it sounds as if the frame was either defective or was not correctly sized for the load. IMO

NW Hideout

Longview,WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/10 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No that is not the part that is buckled. The part that is bent is the triangular support just ahead of that. I think that it just wasn't heavy enough to support the weight of the slide. They may not do much around the rest of the trailer, but they do around the slide area. That is a lot of extra weight hanging on that wall. And yesterday we got good news. Keystone is going to reimburse me for the repair work already done, and for jacking the floor back up and reinforcing the frame so it doesn't happen again. The bad part is that it is a fairly involved repair and when I talked to the dealer, they said " it will be here a while". This is the outcome I was hoping for.

backin15

Burnsville MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/10 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am glad they are doing the right thing and taking care of it for you!

Yakin669

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/10 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update. Been following the post to see the outcome.

I hope it all works out well.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Keystone Hideout Issues!!!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS