Woodalls Open Roads Forum: ALFA SEE YA GOLD 2005 or 2007 40 ft
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> ALFA SEE YA GOLD 2005 or 2007 40 ft

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jimdebbi

Bremerton WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/10 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am new here to this forum and we are considering an 04 gold. How can I find this networking group of Alfa owners?
thanks
debbi

jimdebbi

Bremerton WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/10 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are considering an 04 Alfa gold. Where is this network forum for the Alfa owners?
Thanks, debbi

oopps sorry for the double post, can't figure out how to delete it tho

* This post was edited 09/27/10 09:58pm by jimdebbi *

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/10 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Serious question; why would anyone even consider buying an Alfa? There are so many other choices of known better quality units why take a chance on something that had questionable quality at best when they were new? Being an orphan is only going to make it worse.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

FrontRangeRVer

8,600 feet elevation in the Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/10 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have followed Alfa posts here for years, and that manufacturer wouldn't even be on our radar if we wanted another coach. These things fell apart, low air conditioning capability (basement air conditioning flow comes out the FLOOR FURNACE VENTS!) and quality of the lowest form.

I agree with some of the previous posters to keep looking as there are other manufacturers that are still in business because they build quality units....Alfa didn't, and you see what happened to them.

2015 Winnebago Forza 34T (arriving soon)
2006 Winnebago Voyage 35A (was a GREAT unit)
Workhorse W-22 Chassis, 6 speed Allison
Banks Torque Tube Headers
Dual Magnaflows
UltraPower ECM Tune

JaBob

Roswell, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/10 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest you talk with your bank about financing before you purchase.

Bob

Buck62

Charleston, South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/10 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FrontRangeRVer wrote:

I have followed Alfa posts here for years, and that manufacturer wouldn't even be on our radar if we wanted another coach. These things fell apart, low air conditioning capability (basement air conditioning flow comes out the FLOOR FURNACE VENTS!) and quality of the lowest form.

I agree with some of the previous posters to keep looking as there are other manufacturers that are still in business because they build quality units....Alfa didn't, and you see what happened to them.

Alpha's look great but they are really built substandard with really poor quality. In 2006 when we were looking at purchasing a new motorhome we looked at the Alpha's Gold because of all the features and a really low price from the the dealer at the time. Once you start looking at the interior construction cheap materials and lack of fit inside when compared to others you can understand why they consider it an low entry diesel motorhome. There is a lot of negative information and complaints on the Alfa's quality just do a search. As others have said, now it is an orphan which makes it harder to find Alpha specific parts. My advice is keep looking and find a brand that is known for quality built motorhomes.

TXRVr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/10 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sunnybrooke wrote:

Any one own one of these coaches? If so have you been happy with it?? Any major mechanical problems ? Leaks etc?? Any roof problems?? Any comments appreciated.
sunnybrooke

I bought my 401 Alfa new in 05 and now have 51K on it.

Things I don’t like:
• Basement HVAC system. Never had a problem with it, but two roof top A/Cs would keep the rig cooler especially since the Alfa has a lot of windows.
• Satellite antenna on the rear of the roof. That’s were the trees are on a back in site.
• The tow bar on the rig is too high. You’ll need a step down receiver for smaller toads.
• Electric dump valves. They never worked right so I replaced with manual.ones
• Fiberglass wind deflector on bottom front of the rig. An unnecessary piece of junk that scrapes the pavement at low crossings.
• Six house batteries. Expensive to replace all at once and a pain in the butt to service and clean.
• White color. When it’s dirty it’s ugly.

Things I like:
• Electric awning with remote control bob. If it’s windy and I’m in bed at night, I just hit the button on the clicker and in she comes.
• High ceilings with fan.
• Inside storage. There are 57 cabinets and/or drawers, 4 map case cubby holes, an 8 foot wide closet, a huge pantry, and lifting bed storage area. Enough space even for the pack rat type.
• Outside storage. Two 8 foot basement bays (one is flow thru with slide trays). I never hunt for anything and I have actually put 9 sets of golf clubs in the forward non-slide bay.
• Convection microwave. We rarely use the oven.
• The lifting driver’s side dash. Easy access to all fuses.
• Under sink whole house water filter system.
• Push button electric sunscreen/curtains for the front windshield.
• The basement ac/dc freezer. As essential for us as the microwave.

As far as it being an “orphan”, remind me again about how many RV manufacturers are still in business?? I don’t understand comments about not being able to find parts. Every manufacturer who supplied major parts for the coach and chassis is still in business. The Alfa User’s group found at Yahoo is an excellent resource for help on any issue.

I’ve had some maintenance issues. The most expensive was fixing the large living room slide mechanism and motor. But then it’s mechanical and I have opened and closed it hundreds of times in five years. The most annoying was a roof leak at the rear cap seem. That was fixed by eternabond tape.

I also have made repairs to my house and cars. The motor home is both. Nothing is going to be without a need for occasional maintenance. Not a Prevost nor a tent.

Successful retirement is not
remembering which day it is.

time_to_go_now

La Mirada, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/10 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXRVr wrote:

Nothing is going to be without a need for occasional maintenance. Not a Prevost nor a tent.

I love that quote! Even a Prevost and a tent need occasional repairs! How true.

I'm sure there are many happy Alfa owners. Unfortunately, I have heard from far too many unhappy Alfa owners. No real nice way to put this...with all the other choices that are out there right now, both manufacturers that are still in business and orphan coaches, there are just too many better choices other than Alfa.

I would not buy an Alfa. Period.

Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/16, Boy/13, Girl/10
1985 Toyota 4Runner
FOUR quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, ONE dog, ONE cat, ONE Polaris RZR

SacsTC

N. California

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/10 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimdebbi wrote:

I am new here to this forum and we are considering an 04 gold. How can I find this networking group of Alfa owners?
thanks
debbi

Here ya go

2007 Monaco Diplomat 400HP Cummins ISL
Source Engineering RR8R Ride Enhancement Kit
2006 Chevy Silverado 345HP 6.0 TOAD

HP Tech

Great Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/10 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alfa made what I would call entry level high end RV's. They came out with innovative features for the times, were one of the first with slides in fifth wheels instead of tip-outs, the basement AC system, 7'+ ceilings in motorhomes, gel coated fiberglass exteriors when aluminum was still prevalent, etc. But...

In the early nineties we were shopping for a new fifth wheel. Went to the Alfa factory in Chino, CA for a tour. What a dump! Stuff being built outdoors under lean-to sheds, junk laying everywhere, workforce was not what you would call highly motivated craftsmen. Amazing an actual working product could come out of that place. A few years back when we were looking for a nice used DP there was an '05 Alpha alongside an '00 HR Imperial. The Alfa had a quarter of the miles on it that the HR had and was like new. Decided to give the Alfa a look. After 30 minutes of walking back and forth between the two we stopped looking at the Alpha. Chintzy is the word that came to mind in describing the Alfa compared to the Imperial. Even the salesman was steering us away from it.

I'd keep looking. But whatever you decide, don't buy a used DP motorhome without a good extended warranty. They almost always pay themselves back.

2000 HR Imperial 40' DP w/350 Cummins/Allison 3000
Banks PowerPack w/AFE Intake & AeroTurbine Exhaust
Koni FSD's, Ohtsu 295's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> ALFA SEE YA GOLD 2005 or 2007 40 ft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts