Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Who makes the best 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Who makes the best 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
iowmedic

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking into changing from a class A to a 5th wheel. We know little about 5th wheels. We are looking for info on 34 to 36 foot models 50 to 60 grand

* This post was edited 07/14/10 08:27am by iowmedic *

Bobby & Liz
2008 Voyage Winnebago gas

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who makes the best truck? Who makes the best television? Who makes the best .....? It is all a matter of personal opinion.
What price range are you looking at? So called high end? Mid range? Lower range?
Unfortunately there is no "consumers reports" that actually tests all the different models and rates them. There are some groups that rate them on whatever feedback they can get. But that again is just a collection of personal opinions.
Shop, shop, shop. Read, read, read. Go to RV shows. Go to well stocked dealers. Find what YOU like. No matter the model, there will be those who praise it, there will be those who blast it, and mostly there will be those who are happy with it.

houtrz

Lake Jackson Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats a loaded question and you will get many many answers. Are you looking for a high end coach or one with a ton of bells and whistles? I have a Forest River Cedar Creek unit and by no means is it the best RV out there but I ordered it with ALOT of options so its very nice from that stand point and for the money, I feel I got a valued deal. If you are looking for a coach that is constructed very well, one that would be considered for full timing and can handle all weather conditions, you will need to look at these just to name a few. There are others and there are even custom builders so its up to you on how much you want to spend and what you mean by the best. Also when considering one of these higher end coaches, sometimes they are heavier than the average trailer which would require you to really consider your tow vehichle. Stopping your rig is much more important that starting your rig.

NU*WA Champagne Edition

Newmar Torrey Pine

At one time Teton was on top as far as quality but someone correct me if I'm wrong but Teton went bankrupt then was bought back by some executives and restarted. I'm not sure if quality has been diluted or they are building the same quality coaches they once did. Someone chime in please.
Teton Homes

This is by no means the best three or are in some sort of order but these three come to mind and like I said there are other high end coaches along with a few custom coach companies.

SH

Lynden, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many fine units in that price range! Buy the one DW likes and fits your particular camping needs!

Best Wishes!

* This post was edited 07/14/10 08:54am by SH *

2011 Heartland Big Country 3450TS
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo
Heartland Owners Club - Washington Chapter Leaders

jimtoo

Perfectly Great!

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many different brands and price ranges. Visit dealers and find the floor plan that feels good to you.

Visit a Heartland RVs Dealer and check out the quality and prices. Also visit Heartland Owners Forum and visit with other Heartland owners.

Happy Camping
Drive Safe
Jim & Bette
Kerrville Sweetheart XII Rally
George West Storyfest, 1st Sat of Nov.

04 GMC 3500, CC,Dually,Duramax,Allison
CB Radio, MaxBrake, Turboliner, Ride Rites
09 Bighorn by Heartland, 3670RL, Trailair Pinbox, Equaflex.

Delaine and Lindy

Linden Tn. (The View)

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were in Casper Wyoming this month and Teton isn't making a 5th wheel. Teton factory is making Oil field office buildings built on steel skids.

I do see Nu Way RV's on the road. Really don't know much about them.

As for Torry pines have seen very few of them. We did look at one in Texas a few years back, just didn't do much for us.

We have owned 6 5th wheel and two have been Mobile Suites. I can tell that Mobile Suties in our opinion as a step above most 5th wheels we have owned. Others will have different opinions. Are they heavy sure they are. And 5th wheel manufactors that uses good materails will be very heavy. Drv uses one of the largest frames on the market today 15" but it has to have a large frame to carry a well built 5th wheel. Drv also has the 3 1/4" walls which is the thickest in the industry. In my opinion which is the best 5th wheel, is a question that has no answer. Drv will custom build !!! Most manufactors want.

I highly suggest you go to as many manufactors as you can and you will in fact see whats behind the walls. As for as components they are about the same. However there are many upgrades that aren't offered by some manufactors. Examples are the TV's, receivers, etc. Good luck with your research. Don't let the WOW factor get you. Try going to Dealerships and tell the sales person you need some quiet time and you and the DW just sit in each area and get the feel of what you will be spending your time in. And there are differences in prices, in 2005 we looked and Mobile Suites and let the listed MSRP change or mind. We made a mistake, should have bought a Mobile Suites then it would have saved us a lot of money. GBY.....

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

shoe777

AR

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the 50,000-60,000 range include your tv or just the RV? If that's just the Rv you should be able to get a very nice 5er. From what I've read the Mobile Suites are really a good quality RV. These also have good reputations if they are still making them:
http://www.keystone-montana.com/
http://www.nuwa.com/
http://www.doubletreervsuites.com/

http://www.carriageinc.com/

DH, Myself
and 5 Fur Balls

Trail-Mate

Frederick, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Peterson Industries make the Excel lines. Very Nice 5th wheels.

1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind as a particular RV or line of RVs become popular, sometimes the manufacturers have trouble keeping up with demand. This causes delays in delivery plus quality control issues.

That happened with our 5th wheel. The manufacturer had so many orders, they let some of the quality slip. We ended up taking ours back to the factory 7 times to get things fixed that were mostly fit and finish problems. Both faucets had not been tightened down to the sinks, cabinet doors weren't aligned, screws were missing, trim pieces were misaligned or had rough edges. Leaking plumbing connections were discovered on our first trip.

We still have the 5th wheel and it's 15 years old. No major problems with it, so we feel it's a great RV. Unfortunately the company is out of business.

Here's what we did. We looked for over a year, when we both found a 5th wheel we liked (she interior & kitchen... me outside & storage) we made the deal. We hadn't researched the company or looked at reviews or tests...we liked it we bought it. We did the same thing with the TT we had before this 5th wheel.

A couple of things I will suggest: get the biggest 5th wheel you can afford, feel comfortable towing and like. Mid range priced 5th wheels will have the same features and amenities has the high end units, but may not have solid wood cabinets or granite counter tops. You'll save $10s of thousands of dollars and be just as comfortable.

Decide on the 5th wheel first then the truck.

Buy the largest tow vehicle you can afford...consider an MDT or HDT for 14,000 lb plus 5th wheels. The confidence a bigger than you really need truck provides, is so much better than having a truck that barely has the tow capacity for the 5th wheel you choose.

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hummm 50 to 60 K negotiated price not sticker price I think puts you out of the Teton, DRV and perhaps the carriage range and within the Jayco, Cardinal, Montana, Heartland range. The more expensive units will be heavier and perhaps require a MDT/HDT truck. lots to consider.

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Who makes the best 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS