Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: delamination
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> delamination

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
ladder17rbt

alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/10 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need some help form your readers. I have a 2008 Keystone Outback 5th wheel that I bought new and have only owned 17 months. The nose cap has started to blister, I guess would be the term.It appears like when a mole tunnels under your lawn and raises the grass. I have raised areas on the Filon.I have sent photos to Keystone and of course they blame water damage. I have taken it to two seperate repair facilities and the say, no water damage, but problems with the Filon in the molding process and the heat has caused the problem to surface.Not sure how to proceed,but I do know that I am highly disappointed.The word delamination has been mentioned. If anyone has any advice of experience with this problem, please let me know.THANKS

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/10 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

silverfoxn

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/10 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

boiledcrabs wrote:

The last trailer I had, a Coachmen, had serious delamination on the sides. It was impossible to repair.

This is not true. Have repaired delamination on aircraft for years. It is not an easy thing to do, but it can be repaired if you know what you are doing. My first repair was on a Boeing B-52 back in the early 60's. Things have inproved greatly now and repairs are common.

Jesse & Karen Norris with Kirby our chow-chow
2005 HitchHiker II LS 29.5 LKTG
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel
Martinez, Georgia

boiledcrabs

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/10 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last trailer I had, a Coachmen, had serious delamination on the sides. It was impossible to repair. I would think if the problem is the front cap it would be solved by replacing the cap if it's all one big piece.

It seems like they would be responsible for fixing yours even if it is water damage. An RV 17 months old shouldn't be leaking. I guess it depends on the warranty.

Crackerssouth

Fenelon Falls, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/10 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We owned a '98 Damon Magnum (Keystone bought Damon's trailer division in '98) that had a Filon skin, but unlike you, ours developed shiny areas. They started to appear around the fridge vent, hot water tank, furnace, it seemed to be everywhere there was heat and nowhere else. Unfortunately our warranty was long over when this started to happen. It did not appear to be a structural problem so we lived with it. We did have 2 leaks over the years, one was just old caulking over the slide, found that one the same day it happened, the other was, the black ABS pipe for the waste tank was cut to short and didn't extend high enough through the roof and was hidden by the vent cover. Guess we were lucky the water came into the inside wall, not the outside wall. At first I was a big fan of Filon, liked the no wax issue, but no longer. Yours does sound like water damage and should definitely be pursued before your warranty expires. Good luck.

Experience is the result of too many mistakes

2008 F350 6.4L 4x4
1999 Jayco 3610 Designer

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/10 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck. Your not the first Outback owner to have delam issues. Visit the owners forum and read away.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/10 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's out of warranty you are probably stuck with an expensive repair. Good advice to visit the owners forum. They usually have much more practical advice about the specific brands.

And it is not an aircraft. The front cap is probably glued to a cardboard type surface and it is that that simply dissolves if wet. If glued improperly there is also no fix except replacement.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2011 Keystone 23rks Hideout to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> delamination
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS