Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Workamping Forum: Oil Field Gate Guard
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Oil Field Gate Guard

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Yaj

The Milky Way Galaxy (Hartford, WI)

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/10 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please add me to that PM list also.

1996 HR Endeavor LE,Cummins 5.9 230hp, Allison 3060,
Front-Yamaha Enduro, Rear-Honda Helix Geeser Cruiser, 2 bikes,
22ft 1977 Cruiser in tow.
1 DW, 2 kids.
1 old dog, 1 fat cat.
I wasn't thinking this far ahead!

Teacher's Pet

SD.. Fulltimers. Goshen IN summers

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/10 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We visited The Texan once at his gate job in the Rio Grande Valley, looked like a good deal $100/day. The company supplied generator, water (big tank) and tank pump out, all included in the daily rate. We got together several times that winter, so the 24/7 deal can be worked out with other attendents.

'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'03 Ford Sport Trac Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
Two Lady Scotties on board, Butterscotch & Duchess
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 18, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

BajaLinda

Full timing

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/10 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texan, please PM me also. Thanks Linda

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/10 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DianneOK wrote:

Texan, why don't you post your info...I will try to keep the responses civil......
Will do Dianne, as I have so many request and can not send one PM to multiple people. Thanks for offering to keep it civil.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/10 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have worked as gate guards for 3 years so far and will be returning for our 4th year this fall. I have knowledge of 3 different companies, but very sure there are others that do operate different and try to hire as cheaply as possible. The 3 that I am aware of treat their folks very well and don't try to go cheap, as the position is hard to fill most of the time, due to all the misinformation that folks put out.

The locations can be almost anywhere there are oil/gas wells, but the company we work for and the other 2 I know about, concentrate their job contracts in Texas and LA. You may be in a very remote location, like on a ranch, 35 miles from no where, or in the middle of a city, like Ft Worth and we've been in both. The job may be 24/7 or it may be 8 to 5 Monday thru Friday and again we have done both. In either case, you park your RV on site and do check vehicles in and out, plus are security for times that the wells are not in production. The 3 companies I am familiar with pay anywhere from $100/day to as much as $150/day 7 days a week, depending on company, location and job requirements. They also furnish an 8 or 10 KW generator with fuel, fresh water tank and holding tank pump out as part of your compensation package.

You are an Independent Contractor, but you are covered by workman's comp while on the site. You are required to be state certified as a security guard and the companies usually pay the expenses for you to get certified, if you stay with them awhile. These jobs can last anywhere from 3 or 4 days to as long as 3 years and you are not required to sign any contract and are free to leave, with sufficient notice. You will go from job site to job site as the jobs end and very seldom do you set for more than a couple of days before you get a new job site.

If a new gate guard last more than a couple of weeks, then they generally are with the company for years, either part time as we are are. or full time as some are. Don't get me wrong, the job is not for everyone and the pay is OK, but not great, if you are on a 24/7 gate. As Terry said earlier, we can trade with other gate guards, so that we have time off to go to functions, if we are working a 24/7 gate.

If you have any individual questions, PM me and I will answer them as best I can.

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/10 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texan, why don't you post your info...I will try to keep the responses civil......

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

BajaLinda

Full timing

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/10 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I talked to one of the guys that do the hiring some months back and he said about the same thing you said, thats why I had trouble beliving some of the******that came up about the job. They wouldn't be able to keep a gate guard at all if thats how they were treated. After all we all have wheels under our homes.

I can't remember the guys name that I talked to, I would have to look it up but he was very nice and helpful. Couldn't take the job at the time because some health problems came up. Will be looking into again soon though. Thanks for all the right information!

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/10 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, Texan, for a very concise explanation. It certainly clears up some misconceptions that I have heard stated here.

navyAZ1

Jefferson, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/10 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Texan, I replied to your PM. This is what I was looking for was info from folks who have done this not just words from folks who don't want to do it. We fully understand that it will be hot, dusty, and windy, and that it can be boring at times. But I believe we will give it a try and see how it works, if it doesn't work out than that's okay too! That's why our home has wheels on it, if we're not happy where we are than we just move on. I received another PM from a couple who tried this and didn't like it due to equipment break downs (generator) and they said the response from the company when problems arose was not all that good. But, as I said we will never know if we don't try it. Thanks for all for the response.

2011 Chevy 3500HD Duramax
2008 Big Horn 3055RL by Heartland
Retired USN
Wonderful Wife of many years Ann
Camping friend Chihuaha/Mini Pincher Mix (Named Lula)

Haulinhazmat

Fredericktown, Mo.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/10 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are full time gate guards and The Texan got it right. 24/7 means just that we have had as many trucks at 2am as 2pm. This is not for everyone but if it works for you it will work good.

ps. Some Oil Companys DO NOT allow pets especially in La.

* This post was edited 08/09/10 01:47pm by Haulinhazmat *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Oil Field Gate Guard
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS