Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Generator Honda EX1000 governor adjustment-maintenance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator Honda EX1000 governor adjustment-maintenance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
sambert

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/10 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Honda EX1000 generator which starts + runs well, but the output voltage drops if any load is applied.

This is not critical in most cases, but as I wish to charge my RV batteries with a separate big charger, I want to have at least 50% of the 1000 watts capacity of the generator(being 40 amp x 12 Volt max plus some losses) but even at 25% load, the voltage drops below 100 v so my charger does not work.

There is a screw that adjusts the speed I think on the generator, and if I screw manually to get the 110 v with some load, then I can get 15 amp plus charging with the charger which then works, all is well, BUT when I disconnect, the voltage climbs up very fast, past 130 volts.
Not ideal, as I need to keep a constant eye on what voltage is output, depending on the load, and adjust the screw accordingly.

I suspect the governor is not working well.
a) Would anyone know where to get a repairs manual ?

b) Do you think it is a question or maintenance and adjustment, OR would I have to replace the governor (or is the problem elsewhere)?

Post moved from DIY to Tech Issues Forum

Moderator - DIY Forum

* This post was edited 08/20/10 07:20pm by an administrator/moderator *

Have recently bought a 26 year old Okanagen 24ft Motorhome, which goes like a breeze and is in good nick. Only slight drawback is it guzzles gas, which when coming from Europe, ouch - but we are in N America !

Beltone Magoo

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/10 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally would suspect a maintenance problem. Those are classic indications of fuel/carburetor problems and where I would start looking first. Operator manuals can be downloaded on Honda's site. Service manuals can be ordered from any Honda dealer or from one of the online dealers such as Wise or Maynberry's etc. A couple of years ago mine was $35. (USD).
Good luck, safe travels and happy camping!

Doug & Connie
2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial
2001 Subaru Forester toad

JFG

TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/10 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought... look at the specs on your charger.What are the input amp specs.... most converters draw between 7 and nine amps... you say big charger... it may need more amps than the generator can supply.

Fred

sambert

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/10 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks JFG

you are quite right, a big charger may mean anything and I was not precise. Mine does 40 amps on 12 volts, so the watts put out are 12x40 =480 watts, plus some losses, still well below the 900 watts recommend for full load on the generator.

I had a 2nd go, and cleaned out the carburetor externally and inside the float and bowl etc, all seems fine, not much deposits.

I tried the generator again, works as before. If I adjust with the screw on the carburetor to get say 125V zero load, and then plug in the charger, charging 4 amps(12 volt), I get a drop to about 105 volts, if I switch to 12 amps, the voltage drops further and the battery charger goes on the blink.

I turn the screw up again (with the charger load at 4 amps)to get 130v and then put the charger to 12 amps, I again get around 100v+
and so on, I did get well past the 28 amps for charging by adjusting the screw while on the go. But the screw is in an awkward place to get at, and given the charger automatically lowers the amps once the battery is charged, I would have to keep a look constantly over hrs ...

If the load is taken off the volts scream up, and I have no intention to blow the charger.
I can now understand that other people had 240 volts while they should have 110 v !

Am still searching for a service manual, but wonder if such exists. Owner's manual is there, but not helpful.

PaulJ2

Northwest Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/10 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll try here no promises. I have adjusted governors on small engines and on some tractors before. First look closely at the linkage between the carb and the governor arm, make sure it works freely and no binding. Usually it is a stiff wire or rod connecting the two. To make it more responsive you basicly have to shorten the distance between the two connections. Many times there will be a loop in the connecting wire linkage to squeeze together (shorten) or spread apart (lengthen) the distance. You my get lucky and have a threaded rod to adjust between the two. Shorten for more response and lengthen for less response.
Now this is for several various small engine types, but I am not familier with the Honda specifically at all. At this point I am assuming it works the same way.
If you get it too sensitive it will surge/hunt, if so lengthen back out a bit.
This is a trial and error thing so good luck.

sc3283

St Louis

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/10 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

be sure to check the HZ as well....HZ is more important than a couple of volts. HZ is directly related to engine RPM as well

04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

PaulJ2

Northwest Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 02:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, after you are able to get the sensitivity correct you will need to adjust the speed screw for 62 HZ and 130 volts with no generator load. This should put it about right with load.

Beltone Magoo

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a service/shop manual for the EU2000 listed on Ebay at this time. (Monday evening 8/24/10)Maybe they have an EU1000 one?
Good luck, safe travels and happy camping!

* This post was edited 08/25/10 06:33am by an administrator/moderator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator Honda EX1000 governor adjustment-maintenance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS