Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Superglide Problem

Posted By: Bionic Man on 08/21/10 06:52pm

I picked up a used Superglide hitch, and had it installed on my truck. I bought a new capture plate (the one that Pullrite said was needed for the dimensions of my king pin), and put it on today. The capture plate was pretty challenging to get on, but with the help of a rubber mallet, I finally got it on. It seems to fit correctly.

My trouble is, when I got to hitch the trailer up, the jaw only goes about half way around the king pin. I've tried having the trailer slightly lower than the hitch, and sliding into it. I've tried it with the trailer level to the hitch. I've even tried it with the king pin higher than the hitch. There is just no way I can get the jaw to close securely around the king pin - even if I try to manually close the latch by pushing in on the release bar.

I took the capture plate off, and hooked the hitch up to the trailer, and the jaw caught the king pin right away (yes, I know I can't tow it this way, was just testing it). Does anyone have any advice? There is really only one way to get that capture plate on, so I don't think I could have mis-installed it.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Posted By: topwop39 on 08/21/10 07:01pm

Call superglide. They have great customer service.

2003 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC D/A
2007 Coachman Chaparral 269 BHS 5'er
prodigy brake controller, pullrite 14K superglide

Posted By: Brodie3Az on 08/21/10 07:06pm

Hello Bionic Man,

Ran into the same difficulty with my Superglide 24k. The hitch head needs to be removed, disassembled, cleaned, inspected for damage, dry film lubed, and re-assembled. You will be good to go.

Posted By: sloopdog 1 on 08/21/10 07:11pm

Like the previous poster says--clean, lube and make sure nothing is out of alignment.

Or take the two retaining pins out of the receiver plate,take it off of the slider and see if it will close on your kingpin by holding it up and pushing it onto the kingpin.Watch out, because the latch closes with great force and speed.

The capture plate must fit tightly against the bottom of the kingpin box, or it won't let the latch close around the right part of the kingpin.

2001 F250 7.3 supercab,Pullrite Superglide,2008 Copper Canyon FW339tsl

Posted By: Gonecamping444 on 08/21/10 08:23pm

Something sounds wrong with the capture plate also,It should slip on easy.Shouldn't need no mallet to put in on.Mind has 4 allen wrench screws,slips on & tighten the screws.

Posted By: Vulcaneer on 08/22/10 09:18am

If everything is good under the hitch head...(should be checked closely, and cleaned and lubed), I would suspect there is a Capture plate problem. From your description, it sounds as though the wedge is too close to the back of the kingpin. Maybe only a few thousanths of an inch. This does not allow the kingping to insert completely and all the way into the hitch. See if there is a way to move the capture plate a bit more rearward on the pinbox.

If you have a quick connect capture plate, you may be able to move it back some. You should not need to beat a capture plate on the pinbox. Something wrong, there. If a universal Capture plate, might be more of a project to move it back. Hope it is not welded on.

Before you mess with it too much, call PullRite. Make sure you copy down your pinbox number, and the part number of your Capture plate. Maybe you have the wrong part number plate for your pinbox?

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Confusion is a prerequisite to enlightenment.
Enlightenment is a prerequisite to revelation.
Revelation without action makes no difference.

Posted By: Bionic Man on 08/22/10 03:03pm

I'm going to call Pullrite tomorrow. There is no adjusting the capture plate further back - the hole is just big enough to get the kingpin itself through. I'm leaning toward either the wrong capture plate, or else the one that they sold me was machined incorrectly.

I've though about working on the jaw mechanism, but it closes properly without the capture plate.

Posted By: Duck on 08/22/10 03:19pm

Bionic Man wrote:

I'm going to call Pullrite tomorrow. There is no adjusting the capture plate further back - the hole is just big enough to get the kingpin itself through. I'm leaning toward either the wrong capture plate, or else the one that they sold me was machined incorrectly.

I've though about working on the jaw mechanism, but it closes properly without the capture plate.

Give them the make and model of your king pin and they can tell you if you have the correct capture plate.
Don

08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL

Posted By: luvlabs on 08/22/10 06:01pm

It sounds like you are having a high hitch problem.

The capture plate should sit flush on the pin plate and only add the same amount of thickness as it is (about .125 in +/-).

When you hitch, the pin should be positioned to contact the hitch about half way up the plate. As you back into it, the pin will then be at the correct height.

Cleaning and lubing the latch mechanism is also a good idea (you should do it once a year anyway).

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

Posted By: mapguy on 08/23/10 12:26pm

I originally had problems when the ground is uneven side to side with the latch fully locking. This was with a Quick Capture plate that utilized only one front bolt/nut/plastic block attachment. It was clear that the capture plate was floating to much in situations where PIN and hitch were not perpendicular. My solution was to drill /tap/helicoil additonal countersunk attachment bolts that go thru the capture plate into PINBox keeping the capture plate tight to the PIN box in all situations. I mimicked one of the universal capture plate mounting methods closely. End of problem for the most part. In uneven situation where latch still won't release -I pull the saddle pins and leave hitch head on PIN. I usually will recouple the same way -line up the hitch and drop onto the saddle and replace pins. I can do this nearly as fast as coupling the conventional way....

Posted By: Bionic Man on 08/23/10 09:37pm

Well, I contacted Pullrite today. I went through several exercises with them - making sure my pin is square, the capture plate is completely on, no burrs on the pin, etc.

I did take the head of the hitch off and try to attach to the king pin independent of the hitch. The first three times I tried, I got the same result - the jaw would not lock. The next time, it worked, then the next three times it did not.

I took a bunch of photos, and have forwarded them on to Pullrite. Hopefully their tech department will have a better answer when they see the photos.

Posted By: saltbayou on 08/25/10 04:29am

Have same problem. Will be watching for your solution. Hitch was installed months ago but not used but I tried it out and it didn't work. Thought it was lube issue but maybe not. Let us know what pullrite says.

2008 Dodge 3500 diesel,dwd
Pullrite SuperGlide 18k hitch,Prodigy Brake Control 2009 Mobile Scout 35REKSLTD

Posted By: Njmurvin on 08/25/10 10:12am

I'm sure Pullrite will get you squared away. But, from your description, it sure sounds as if the capture plate is either not flush to the pinbox or for some reason, the kingpin isn't deep enough. The fact that it engages fine without the capture plate suggests that the hitch head is working properly. Sounds like it's binding on the bottom of the kingpin. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie SWB QuadCab CTD, 48RE (auto), Putco Boss Bars, Pullrite Superglide, LineX, Prodigy

1994 Terry 305 31' Single slide

Posted By: Bionic Man on 08/25/10 05:09pm

It's not a fair statement to say that the jaw works properly when not attached to the hitch. It does work better however. I'd say it is 50/50 at best for it to fully engage when I attempt to attach the hitch head to the king pin by hand.

Pullrite does not yet have a solution. Again, I don't know how the capture plate could be installed incorrectly. I'll send Pullrite more photos tomorrow, and I have a local retailer coming over tomorrow AM. I hope I get some positive solution. I'm not going too excited if I have to reinstall my old Reese hitch.

Posted By: sleepyT on 08/25/10 06:31pm

I had the same problem. when I first hooked my trailer to my 14K had to back into it twice to get the jaws to go all the way home (with the handle in the right position). when I went to unhitch had a very hard time getting the jaws to open. measured the king pin and then the jaw opening and found out the jaws were tooooo tight. called Pull-rite and had them send me another set of jaws. NO PROBLEMS SINCE. hope that gets it for you.

PS. the jaws are a combo of 3 pieces that are bolted together, if they are not aligned properly that could also cause your problem.

ROSIE&TOMMY
2007 GMC 2500HD DURA MAX/ALLISON
2013 CRUISER PATRIOT 305SK

IN GOD WE TRUST
SEMPER FI

Posted By: Bionic Man on 08/26/10 09:52am

Hmmm. Not sure what to say now. It looks like earlier suggestions of cleaning & lubricating the jaws finally made a difference. I put more silicone on the jaws last night, and was still having difficulty with it.

This morning I had a RV tech come out to troubleshoot. You guessed it, as soon as he got here, it started working properly, both when it is manually slide onto the king pin, as well as attached to the truck.

So, at least for the time being, I have a functioning 18k Superglide hitch, and I am into it for around $1000 including installation. Now, if I can sell my old 16k Reese, I'll really be in business.

Posted By: Shinpondhunter on 08/26/10 11:04am

I had a similar problem, but the good news for me was that it was sitting in a Mor/ryde service bay in Elkhart. They called in an engineer who quickly discovered that the capture plate had exterior welds that was causing it to interfere with the closing mechanism. Ground down the exterior welds and repainted - presto!

Posted By: Bionic Man on 09/08/10 06:09pm

Unfortunately, my problem was not magically solved. On Friday when we went to leave, it took me over 30 minutes to get the hitch jaws to close. Finally, with it closed half way, I tried raising the front of the trailer, and the jaws closed completely. Worked the same when I left the campground on Monday.

I like the way Superglide slides, and it pulls much smoother than my Reese, but the Reese was sure a lot easier to get hooked up.

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 09/08/10 10:33pm

Bionic Man wrote:

Unfortunately, my problem was not magically solved. On Friday when we went to leave, it took me over 30 minutes to get the hitch jaws to close. Finally, with it closed half way, I tried raising the front of the trailer, and the jaws closed completely. Worked the same when I left the campground on Monday.

I like the way Superglide slides, and it pulls much smoother than my Reese, but the Reese was sure a lot easier to get hooked up.

NEVER, repeat *NEVER* - have had this or any other problem (hitching or un-hitching) with my SG.

It's either operator trouble or something wrong with the hitch!

Maybe you need to talk to PullRite again!

~

Print  |  Close