Woodalls Open Roads Forum: 2011 Four Winds Serrano - AC Problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 2011 Four Winds Serrano - AC Problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
HHg in Austin

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/10 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there are any owners of the above mentioned units that are having AC problems, I'd sure like to get an email from you.

Thanks !
HHg

HHg in Austin
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40-QBH
2010 Honda CRV Toad

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/10 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By AC do you mean chassis AC or house AC..and what kind of House AC did they give you...We can all chime in and help but we need details of your components to give you some guidance...(ie Dometic, Carrier, Coleman etc)

Stuart and Stella Denning
2009 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Sierra,Daisy and Sylvie)
2007 Saturn Vue (TOAD)

I tawt I taw a puddy tat

Mike and Trish

Southern Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/10 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto. Whatever problem you are having, it may have nothing to do with your brand of coach, but be common to other brands with the same type of A/C unit.

Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2014 Honda CR-V on Blue Ox towbar
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

Mike and Trish

Southern Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/10 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

... and for that matter, are you talking about AC (air conditioning) or AC (alternating current)?

murphtheserf

West Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/10 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased my 2011 Four Winds Serrano (31V) from McLains RV on 2 July. The Serrano was from the Denton TX RV dealership, but handled thru their Rockwall TX dealership. The dashboard A/C failed on 2 July while driving the new coach home!

We were later informed that there was a Four Winds Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 10-005 "Serrano Coolant Valve") for an improperly installed and/or faulty coolant valve in the A/C system. Didn't McLains RV receive the Recall notification letter from Four Winds??? After waiting several weeks for technical info, and then waiting until 4 August for the replacement part from the factory, we learned that that wasn't the problem. And we have been referred to a WorkHorse service center-which are few and far between out here in West Texas.

The A/C components are by EVANS TEMPCON, the chassis is by WorkHorse, the coach is by Four Winds, and they are owned by THOR. THOR Motorized Services is monitoring the warranty problems. But I have already driven 440 miles to and from the WorkHorse representative, and they couldn't work on the high pressure A/C stuff. That was $142 worth of Diesel fuel down the drain! Tomorrow I am off to an EVANS TEMPCON service Center, only 260 miles to and from. Wish me luck!

Bill
San Angelo TX

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/10 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Evans-Tempcon should be able to find the problem..but note that the compressor and condensor/fan are supplied by Workhorse...It could be something as simple as a leak or the compressor itself(and that would send you back to workhorse)..does compressor come on when you engage AC..and always use AC on max setting in a motor home...works better that way..try to do a bit of trouble shooting before you drive the mileage...If compressor does come on, then it's probably Evans-Tempcon related...if it does not, either R134A is low or you have a blown fuse which can be found in the workhorse fuse box. I suspect something is leaking R134A which is making the compressor cease to function..Try to draw out exactly what is happening and you might be able to save some mileage.

HHg in Austin

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/10 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To those who are having the "problem", they will know what I'm asking for. I'm actually trying to get other info,....and Yes, I have been in contct with all of the appropriate parties from Four Winds, Workhorse and Evans (at the VP level). I'm trying to find out how "widespread" or common the issue is.

Thanks !
HHg

murphtheserf

West Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/10 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Stu,
Yes- the compressor is engaging. There is a very slight bit of condensation on the highpressure side of the hoses, right by the freon test fitting. A local A/C man put his gauges on it and said that I have freon, but there is only a hint of cooling when at idle. As soon as I touch the accelerator, the air vents go VERY HOT. He suggested that while the gauges might show some freon, there may not be enough to sustain cooling as the system revs up. So maybe I have a leaky system??

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/10 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Compressor is engaging...that means no blown fuse and there is enough R134A (freon is politically incorrect now--but that's another story)....so that the low refrigerant switch isn't triggering..Something is blocking the system up...could be evaporator or condensor...--going to Evans Tempcon is the best bet here. Mine when I had a workhorse W22 chassis was the evaporator and Evans Tempcon had to fix it...

vortex1203

NE Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/10 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just put 7200 miles on my Serrano 31V purchase in Jun. Dash Air is weak. Duck hose runs all over the underdash. AC duck and valves are controlled by a air pump on the back side of the Dash in the Engine compartment. The pump feeds a reservoir, Black about the size of a grapefruit. Check all vacuum connections. At engine idle you can hear the pump. At start up you will hear the pump and it should stop when system is set, continued operation indicates a leak. I am in Florida and the AC will not cool a hot MH. Using a lazier temp I find the unit is cooling OK, its all the duck hose. Crank the generator and turn on the house AC. At some point you may be OK with only the dash air.

Front end water (rain) leaks, Fueling connection obstructed, (bad hose)outside mirror problem. Other BS I have learned to expect, It they were put together by craftsmen we could not afford them.

Great in the mountains pulling #4000 Toad.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 2011 Four Winds Serrano - AC Problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS