Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Towing a Honda CRV real time 4WD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a Honda CRV real time 4WD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/10 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, I have a 1999 Honda CRV with "Real Time 4WD". The book says that it can be towed but.. It kind of implies that there may be complications. Like: If you exceed 65 mph there "will" be significant transmission damage. Like: You have to leave the ignition switch on accessory. Like, the car must be run through all of the gears and allowed to idle on Neutral for three minutes every 300 miles while being towed. Holy cow..

Should I get a different car to tow. I really like my chick RV. It will be much cheaper to keep her. But, if I must I could trade for a straight drive, 2WD car, which I dont want to do.

Any thoughts? Anyone here tow a 4WD CRV?

* This post was edited 09/28/10 02:38pm by an administrator/moderator *

blucrabbie

Wake Forest, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/10 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have towed our CRV for 2 1/2 years and have not had any issues. We travel at 62-65 mph.
We do go through the process of going through the transmission and letting it run for 3 minutes. That is when we go through the process of checking the lights. Then I turn the key to the ACC position.
We had a 2WD Dodge Durango with a driveshaft disconnect before purchasing our CRV. Talk about a pain! The CRV is a dream!
Don't get rid of it just because it may take you 3 minutes to prepare it to tow.
PM me if you have anymore questions.

New 2 us
07 Allegro Bus 40QSP
08 Honda CRV EXL with Blue OX and US Gear Braking System
FMCA #381833

n4gnn n4hon
I Never Look Back, I'm Not Going That Way!

racerchaser

Southwest Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/10 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you read in your owner's manual is what is stated in every CR-V owner's manual. That is the way we all do it. Like, you know!!!!!!!!!!!

Fox

Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/10 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have towed 2 CR-V's and have had no problems. I don't worry about speed, but generally go 62-65 mph. We start the car and run it through the gears when we stop.

2006 Millennium Prevost
2013 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond
2009 HD Electra Glide CVO Screaming Eagle - mine
2009 Yamaha VStar950 - DW
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift

Mr.Mark

CA/TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/10 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother... the CR-V is a perfect tow vehicle. We have towed ours for 3.5 yrs and 36,000 miles (driven an additional 38,000 miles). I usually drive around 58-60 mph but have coasted downhill to 75 mph many times. The CR-V is just fine. The car will not explode if you drive past 65 mph, but just don't do it often.

I had a switch installed on the dash to disconnect the radio fuse. Because we have the Navigation system, turning off the radio does not turn off the Nav. I'm very happy with the CR-V.

Connect your CR-V up and travel down the road!

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking, Blue Ox base-plate, Blue Ox tow bar.
Liberty Coach

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/10 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No big deal, just follow the shifting directions to the letter, I some times even repeat the shifting directions when I stop for lunch, wife fixes lunch, I run the CRV through the gears, walk around and check the tires for heat build up all the while waiting for the 3 minutes to go by and then shut it off, good for the rest of the day. Have towed for over 40,000 miles. As for the 65 MPH limit, I usually only drive 62 but have on occasions went over 65 on long straight downhill sections, but drop it back doen to 62 as soon as possible. No problems on these short periods over 65. On original hook up in the morning, I hook up the tow bar, get in the CRV, back it up to take the slack out of the tow bar, then shift through the gears as directed, stop it in Neutral, set my stop watch, and while the engine is running, go back and hook up the safety cables/chains, light cord, and emergency "break" away Brake cable, check the lights to see that they are working. By that time the 3 minutes has gone by, I turn the radio and AC/heater fan off, turn the ign off to the acc position, shut the door and ready to go. That is about as simple as it gets. I like my CRV as a toad.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/10 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been towing our CR-V for three years now w/o a problem. Just follow the towing procedures. Running it through the gears and leaving the key in the accessory position certainly isn't difficult. I pull up behind the RV, run it through the gears and then let it idle while DH and I hook it up to the tow bar. Easy peasy.

We usually drive around 60-62, but don't worry a bit if it drifts above 65 for awhile.

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/10 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I certanly don't check milage and stop every 300. I have pulled all day many times and at 70 mph.
They have to put something in the book.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/10 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What the others have said. I do try to stay at 65 or under when I'm towing. It's a wonderful toad. Couldn't ask for better.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/10 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

So what is it that you object to. Being put out, becasue you have to do a few sinple things to your CR-V. Gee, I spend more time, stoppig to go to the bbathroom. They are one of the greatest Automatic Transmissions that are also 4 wheel drive. What more could you possibly ask for. Its such a little bit of a nessary thing to take care of. Its very fast and very simple to do. I guess you could always go buy a Trailer and Tow it that way, if the other way bothers you that much. I wouldn't trade our CR-V for any other car or tuck out there. Except maybe a New CR-V. Its Small. It's Light Weight. It's a 4 Wheel Drive. It Drives Nice. It's Comfortable, and it can carry quite a bit of extra stuff while Sight-Seeing. Live is good with a CR-V. Get with the program, and enjoy one of the very best Two cars out there. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a Honda CRV real time 4WD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS