Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Reuse RV Antifreeze?

Posted By: Gang-of-Wrights on 10/12/10 03:39pm

My father-in-law and I are debating the reuse of rv anti-freeze from year to year. I say that for the $16 to $24 to buy new, it is worth it. His position is why waste it when if you can reuse it. What are the thoughts of the forum?

Also, in the spring. How should I dispose of it?

Posted By: powderman426 on 10/12/10 03:42pm

I save the bottles and reuse mine, but I am well stingy. It doesn't take much effort to flush it from the faucets back into the bottle.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Posted By: You can't take the Fisherman out of this Camper on 10/12/10 03:43pm

$16-$24?? How much anti-freeze are you using?? All you need is about 1-2 gallons. Every time you put it in it will become slightly diluted with the water left in the lines.. so how do you know when it is no longer able to withstand freezing?

1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4;(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

Posted By: Daddy Bear on 10/12/10 03:48pm

I reuse mine for about two seasons, then discard and use new. We can hit -40F and ...knock on wood...have not had any problems. I do however try and get every last drop of H2O out of the tank and lines b/f I put in the antifreeze in an effort not to let it get to diluted.

Drew, Lora & our two boys
Sophie and Rozie our Tollers
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC, 4x4, Duramax w/Allison, and Timbrens
2007 Cougar 289 BHS & Highjacker Ultra 16,000 lbs Super Slide Hitch
Honda EU 3000W

Posted By: bldrbuck on 10/12/10 03:51pm

Can't is correct if done right winterizing takes 2 gallons at the outside. It sells for less than 5 dollars a gallon. No matter how well you blow out or drain the lines there is a bit of water there to dilute the anti-freeze. Toss the old. I dump the old down the house or campground toilet.

* This post was edited 10/13/10 06:58am by bldrbuck *

93 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel, DRW, Crew Cab. PullRite Hitch. 35' King of the Road 5er, 192 Watts Solar, 2800 Watt Yamaha Generator, 1750 Watt Inverter, 2 Trogan T105 Batteries, Me, my wife and 2 maltize furkids.

Posted By: gates59 on 10/12/10 04:01pm

He did ask how to get rid of old antifreeze. I'm not sure myself. I doubt that it is toxic so pooring it down a storm sewer would be ok I think. Let's see what others say about it.

Posted By: 4u2nv on 10/12/10 04:03pm

I reuse mine... I also have an antifreeze tester to check how good it is. I blow the lines out before adding the antifreeze so there isn't much in there for water. Come spring time I blow the antifreeze out back into the containers. Usually end up needing more when winter rolls around though so it's not all recycled.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC - Duramax/Allison
2006 Keystone Cougar 302rls

Gone but never forgotten...2002 GMC 2500HD 6.0l EC 4:10s

Posted By: 4u2nv on 10/12/10 04:04pm

gates59 wrote:

He did ask how to get rid of old antifreeze. I'm not sure myself. I doubt that it is toxic so pooring it down a storm sewer would be ok I think. Let's see what others say about it.

That would be a NO... pouring it down a storm drain? I don't think you would want to be caught pouring anything down a storm drain.

Posted By: JN_B on 10/12/10 04:05pm

Just out of curiosity how would you get it out of the sink traps. I can garantee no matter how many times you flush your tanks there will always be some "remnants" left. Don't really want to store that **** anywhere. No pun intended.

You're average gallon of ice cream contains Rv Antifreeze. So guess what. It's safe for a human to consume. Down to the dump station it goes, if my body can handle it so can the environment.

No offense but If you're worried about saving $20-30/yr on RV Antifreeze you're probably involved in the wrong hobby.

Do you turn around and head the other direction if you encounter a headwind??

/rant.. I understand some people are "thrifty" but this seems excessive.

Why don't you just buy a compressor, and the proper fitting, remove the water pump and blow out the whole system. No need for Antifreeze.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD SLT
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

Posted By: webslave on 10/12/10 04:07pm

I don't use antifreeze except in the traps and toilet, I blow my lines out and don't have to worry about it. Disposal is easy; it is biodegradable and non-toxic (you're using it in your Potable water lines), so, if you aren't going to recycle it next year, just flush your lines and let it go into your waste tanks for disposal the next time you dump your tanks.

I did know a guy, years ago, that recycled his... His test? He'd collect the used antifreeze in the spring and put it in his deep freeze at the house for the summer. If in the fall, it wasn't slushy or frozen, he re-used it. I thought it was kind of clever. I don't remember how many years he got out of the same batch of anitfreeze, but, it was more than a couple. Our temps rarely go below 0 around here and he figured if it didn't freeze in the freezer over the summer, it would certainly stand up to a night or two of 0 degrees.

Me, I just prefer blowing out the lines. Been doing it for years, but, that is just my personal preference.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox with a B&W Companion Hitch

Posted By: pianotuna on 10/12/10 04:23pm

Hi,

I live in a climate that requires me to winterize 5 to 7 times per winter season. I do reuse the anti freeze and find I can salvage 3/4 of it.

Here is what I do:

1. drain all tanks
2. set water heater bypass
3. blow the lines
4. suck up antifreeze and fill the lines
5. blow the lines again salvaging as much anti freeze as I can.

It works well for me.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

Posted By: Chuck&Gail on 10/12/10 04:50pm

Right now I can buy antifreeze for $2 to $3 a gallon around here. So $24 would get me 8 gallons minimum? Wow. Teach him how to bypass water heater and save 6 gallons minimum.

I use 2 or 3 gallons a year, so IMHO it isn't worth saving for $6 or so.

I let gray water tank empty into my lawn when dewinterizing.
I empty black water down toilet, into my septic system.
No troubles yet in over 20 years of doing that.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Posted By: russhd1997 on 10/12/10 05:00pm

I just winterized mine tonight. It took about 1.75 gallons. I let what flows down the drains sit in the respective tanks through the winter. I will empty it when I visit the dump station the next time that I go camping in the spring. I don't reuse it either. For less than $10 it is pretty cheap insurance to put new stuff in every year.

Russ

1985 Shasta Revere 2850
1977 "Fat Bottom" GMC Sierra 35

Posted By: NanciL on 10/12/10 05:29pm

On my 25 foot travel trailer with full bath and shower, I only use a little over a gallon.
I pay less than four dollars per gallon.

Stop filling the hot water tank, and you'll save 24 dollars

jack L

Jack & Nanci

Posted By: Gang-of-Wrights on 10/12/10 05:30pm

Thanks gang. I only used 3 gal. to winterize my TT. This was my first year as previously I had a pop-up and just blew out the lines. A new experience for me. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. I purchased the recommended 4-6 gallons and will return 3. At this point I'll still continue to buy new. Maybe I'll give my father-in-law my used to suppliment his recycling.

Posted By: 4*phun*2 on 10/12/10 06:36pm

Too cheap for words.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

Posted By: robsouth on 10/12/10 07:07pm

I use about 1 and 1/2 gallons of the pink stuff to winterize. In the spring (or whenever I want, used to to do it 4 or 3 times a winter) I just run it out on the ground. It ain't killed no grass yet. I heard you can drink the stuff, ain't never tried, but the grass don't seem to mind it a'tall.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Posted By: IBcarguy on 10/12/10 07:19pm

I luckily don't have to go through this process because I live in moderate winter climate, but I can't imagine saving waste tank anti-freeze to use again. It's gotta be contaminated from the tanks and I wouldn't want to handle it, bottle it, or store it. Dump it and buy new stuff next year!

Posted By: You can't take the Fisherman out of this Camper on 10/12/10 08:26pm

Gang-of-Wrights wrote:

Thanks gang. I only used 3 gal. to winterize my TT. This was my first year as previously I had a pop-up and just blew out the lines. A new experience for me. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. I purchased the recommended 4-6 gallons and will return 3. At this point I'll still continue to buy new. Maybe I'll give my father-in-law my used to suppliment his recycling.
Or you can save the three extra gallons for next year. It doesn't go bad in just a few years.

Posted By: brirene on 10/12/10 08:30pm

IBcarguy wrote:

I luckily don't have to go through this process because I live in moderate winter climate, but I can't imagine saving waste tank anti-freeze to use again. It's gotta be contaminated from the tanks and I wouldn't want to handle it, bottle it, or store it. Dump it and buy new stuff next year!

I'm sure OP isn't talking about this, I hope! I save from year to year, but dump the used into the traps and tanks. Even if diluted it won't cause any problems there. Use new for the water lines, then save that in the spring.

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion,Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Posted By: Jimehc on 10/13/10 05:21am

Yeah, we are talking water line antifreeze recycling - not the antifreeze in the waste tank..

Posted By: weathershak on 10/13/10 08:03am

Since we winterize 6 or 7 times a year, I collect what I can from the low point drains and use that stuff for the holding tanks when we winter camp. I always pump in new when we are done with our trip. It is worth the average $24.00 per year and pays for itself the first trip out only paying off season CG rates.

Full timing it since July 2012 My pics

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 10/13/10 10:18am

I can't believe anyone would re-use it with it being so cheap. I wouldn't take the risk considering how important of a job rv antifreeze does...

* This post was edited 10/13/10 10:47am by JayWalker2009 *

Posted By: sodakfisherman on 10/13/10 11:02am

3 gallons @ $3.50/gallon at TSC...not worth the effort to recapture and reuse it.

2010 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Mega Cab 4x4 6.7L CTD
2013 Jayco Eagle 324BTS
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express LTZ 230BH + Equal-i-zer 1000/10000 (SOLD)

Posted By: keithinspace on 10/13/10 11:07am

If the cost of storing something costs more than the cost of purchasing something, then it is a waste of money to store it.

The effort to recover it? The cost to store it (you paid for your house/shed, remember)? The risk of re-using it? A $6 investment each year in 2 new gallons seems like a really, really, really, really easy decision.

2011 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 255BH
Hensley Arrow
2012 Ford F250 Lariat(6.7L Diesel, 3.55 gears, Crew with 6.5' Bed)
Me, Wife, Girl (9 YO), Boy (7 YO), Blind Beagle (108 YO), Tuxedo Cat (3 YO; 6 lives remaining)

Posted By: pianotuna on 10/13/10 12:28pm

Hi Kwrhinspace,

Now take that 2 gallons and multiply by 7 times. Oops! It just got expensive.

keithinspace wrote:

If the cost of storing something costs more than the cost of purchasing something, then it is a waste of money to store it.

The effort to recover it? The cost to store it (you paid for your house/shed, remember)? The risk of re-using it? A $6 investment each year in 2 new gallons seems like a really, really, really, really easy decision.

Posted By: brirene on 10/13/10 03:49pm

Guess I'm not understanding some of these arguments. Not worth the effort? I hold the empty jug under the low point drain and turn the valve. Then do the other line. Not much effort involved. As to the "risk" of reusing, the previously used mostly goes into the black and grey tanks where there is plenty of room for expansion for any small amount of water that was left in the pipes with the af. I sincerely doubt that my tanks are bone dry even if I add a fresh new bottle. Not much risk there either, that I can see, and I just saved six bucks to spend on beer! I must be missing something here. Happy trails!

Posted By: Sportsman Matt on 10/13/10 08:14pm

I worked for a local RV company and yes we did reuse antifreeze that was shipped in new units from the manufacturer in the freshwater systems, used strictly for drains and traps only, never to be run into freshwater plumbing.

But what's puzzling is how you can use more than 1 gallon of antifreeze. When I winterized units, I found that you blew out the lines, then pumped enough pink stuff to hit the farthest point in the RV. Then shut the pump off, then blow out the lines again. The antifreeze in the lines would push out into the sinks, working into the drains and toilet valve. Then split the remainder of the gallon (usually half a gallon or more) into all the traps and the toilet.

I find that if you want to recycle, go ahead, but it seems to be way too much work for what you really need.

Life is short, Play harder.

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab Long Bed 4.3L V6 Automatic 2WD

2010 KZ Sportsman Classic 19BH Travel Trailer

Fishing and Hunting New England and eventually the world

Posted By: Jimehc on 10/13/10 10:14pm

Has anyone ever tried using an EVAC system to remove the water from the lines??

And then blowing the traps??

Print  |  Close