Woodalls Open Roads Forum: DC Overload error on Magnum Energy inverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> DC Overload error on Magnum Energy inverter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
RoadHound_RVer

Round Rock, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/10 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My remote control panel has a red fault light and a DC Overload reading. It is a Magnum Energy model ME2012. Batteries were low before hooking up to shore power last night. It went through a normal charging cycle last night but but I noticed the error this afternoon I've looked at Magnum Energy website and owners manual but could not find an explanation. Also the green CHG lift is blinking and it will not go into charge mode. Questions:

1. Anybody know what this code means?
2. Batteries have good power but are could be due for a change. I'm in Kerrville Texas. Anybody know where I can find 200 amp hour batteries? I have checked at local Walmart and an auto store but they only have 125 amp hour batteries.

2004 HR Endeavor. I have cut the house batteries off to conserve power so I can get the slide outs in when we prepare to leave. I inspected batteries and made sure the connections were tight and clean.

* This post was edited 11/13/10 05:23pm by RoadHound_RVer *

Jody & Sylvia
Smokey and Casper - miniature schnauzers
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/10 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the Inverter itself, is a On/Off button. HOLD that button for 20 seconds and that will reset the Inverter. IF the fault returns, you probably have a FET overheat problem on the Circuit boards and will require the Inverter to be repaired. Use the link below and go to section 5.0 for getting into the diagnostics from the remote panel. Doug

http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/M........Remotes/64-0030%20Rev%20A%20(ME-ARC).pdf

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/10 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holding the on switch on the inverter for about 15 seconds will reboot the inverter and you should be good to go. Could be you were set for 50 amp shore power on the remote and plugged in to 30 or less?? That will sometimes trip the invereter too.

Happy Trails
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

JFG

TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Batteries Plus... San Antonio
Sams Club
Inverter on /off switch is on the right side of the inverter. Hold it down until the green light flickers continuously..then release.

Fred

RoadHound_RVer

Round Rock, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/10 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys. I reset the inverter and checked the batteries with hydrometer. The only difference is now the remote panel will show CHARGING for a second with the green CHG light on for a second then flip back to DC OVERLOAD. Battery voltage down to 11.5v. I unhooked shore power and ran genset and had same result.

I'm thinking there's a problem with the charging system. Do you think I can hook up a battery charger to recharge the batteries then deal with it when I get home? I would prefer to do this without disconnecting the batteries since toilet and other devices need the batteries to operate properly. Think that's ok?

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before replacing the batteries to see if that is the problem, pickup a hydrometer at Wal*Mart, a $1.00 in the battery section. Test each of the cells in your batteries to see if one is shorted, or not. At least that would tell if the batteries were the problem without the coast of replacing them.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

Twomed

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a seriously dead or shorted cell battery situation. I would put some water in a jug to use the john on the way home. That charge disconnect on the inverter is sending you a message that something is bad. IF you leave
those batts hooked up with engine running you are going to seriou$ly $train your engine alternator, and maybe burn it up a$ it trie$ to charge those dead batt$!!! Did I mention $$$$$$....that engine alternator is expen$ive.

RoadHound_RVer

Round Rock, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/10 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point regarding alternator. Will do. Thinking my first step will be to reace batteries when I get home. The hydrometer showed little variance but I'm not sure if it will identify a short circuited cell.

Twomed

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AND>>> Magnum is very good about responding promptly to tech questions, very helpful folks.

Good luck, hope all works out.

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The FET board in the inverter could be shot..Check batteries with hydrometer first...if they are OK it's inverter..

Stuart and Stella Denning
2009 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Sierra,Daisy and Sylvie)
2007 Saturn Vue (TOAD)

I tawt I taw a puddy tat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> DC Overload error on Magnum Energy inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: