Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Converted A&E manual Elite 9000 Awning to 12 volt electric
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Converted A&E manual Elite 9000 Awning to 12 volt electric

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
twocruisin

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent the last two days converting my A&E manual awning to electric.......

I have an 18 foot A&E Acrylic Canvass awning with manual arms......

I found out that Carefree of Colorado now sells an upgrade kit to make either a Carefree or A&E manual arm awning operate on 12 volts with a switch.....

I found the upgrade kit on-line.........The top price was 600 bucks, but I found an e-bay dealer that had it for $329.00, tax free, with free shipping....

When the kit arrived it contained two new "Scissor" arms, one with a 12 volt motor and all the wiring and switch I needed.......It also came with very helpful instructions...

Carefree recommended that I remove the whole awning from the coach and replace the old arms with the new ones somewhere on the ground in a level place.......After it was assembled, reinstall the awning to the side of the bus.....

I decided not to take that course and replaced one arm at a time while the awning was rolled up and still on the coach........All I had to do was tie up the roller and material with a rope and take the old arms off, one at a time and install the new power arms....

I replaced the forward arm first, since that's the arm with the motor....It bolted into the side of my bus and I had to roll out the awning material to attach the motor shaft to the roller after I had removed the old spring inside the roller.......

After I finished that side I got rid of the roller spring on the rear arm and screwed in the new arm roller........I then closed the awning using the 12 volt motor and attached the rear arm to the coach.....
After caulking all the screw holes inside the arm mechanism, I hooked up the 12 volt inside and installed the switch....

It took me two days because I didn't have any help and had to do the job by myself...........It came out great, looks like an OEM installation and the awning deploys and retracts with a touch of a button.........

The awning rolls out fully and stays tight......It also rolls up against the bus just as tightly....

Since the Acrylic fabric on my rig was like new, I now have an attractive electric-activated awning at a good price.......

It doesn't have the wind speed indicator to close the awning automatically, but I could add that with a $90.00 kit from Carefree....

I didn't want that feature anyway since I think I wouldn't use......If I leave the coach for an extended period of time I just close the awning.........
I like to keep things simple when I can.....

If anyone is thinking of getting this new kit from Carefree I would have to say it's an easy DIY project, especially if you have a couple of people to help do some of the lifting of the arms, etc.......

This was the e-bay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110583529477

I took a couple of cell phone pictures........(Too lazy to go outside with the real camera).....

John

* This post was edited 11/14/10 05:38am by twocruisin *

John
Crystal River
Florida
40 Foot Damon Diesel Bus

rexabbot

Cumming GA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same awning on my coach. The previous owner had it installed and I am sure for a lot more money.

Good Job!

I have enjoyed mine. Does yours have the remote control?

twocruisin

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexabbot

No remote or automatic retract for wind or rain........I could get a little circuit board and wind indicator for 90 bucks, but for now, I'm happy as a clam..........We never used the awning because it got harder and harder to open and close as we got older.......Life's a *****........

john

boiledcrabs

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you regret not taking it completely off to add the electric arms? I wonder what the advantage would be. I have a kit to upgrade mine but haven't gotten to it yet. I noticed in the instructions that you were to take the entire thing off and wondered about that.

diveman52

Collegeville,ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/10 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could you post a link to the E-Bay seller. My friend wants to convert his.
Thanks
Bill

40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2006 Golf Stream Crescendo 38'

DrBaker

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish I hadn't seen this post. Time to start cruisin eBay now.

2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol

twocruisin

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was the e-bay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110583529477

I don't regret doing it my way...........If I had a few people to help I guess I would have taken the awning off and did the job the way the instructions say.....I only really hard part was getting the roller tube connected to the motor wheel when the awning arms were seven feet off the ground..........I needed three ladders to support the roller, fully extended, to get the wheel on the motor screwed into the tube on each side.......After that I was done....Hanging the arms on the house was easy because I took one old arm off and replaced it with the new arm before I took the second old arm off...Once both new arms were screwed into the bus I could extend the awning with 12 volt and then put the caps on the roller with screws.....The roller was up on the top of three ladders and I could reach far enough to screw the motor cap to each side of the roller tube.......I was lucky to get the awning material rolled all the way out so now when I extend the awning it gets nice and tight........It also tightens nicely against the house......

If you have help, do it the way the instructions say to.....

John

twocruisin

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HobbyTalk is right............I have the flat pitch model even though my awning doesn't go over the door (It's a bus and the door is all the way up front)......I like having the awning high and out of the way......Even when extended the awning roller tube is still 7 feet high.......I don't have to worry about walking into the arms any more......The kit I got is the cheapest that Carefree makes and it has no adjustments for pitch....They make different kits that sell for more money and can be adjusted....

If you have slides on the awning slide you're going to need the flat pitch awning also.......If not and you have room over your door get the steep pitch or the flat pitch, which ever one you like......

john

boiledcrabs

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey thanks. I do have some help even if they have to be blackmailed.

HobbyTalk

NFM

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/10 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just make sure you get the right one. They have a steep pitch and a flat pitch model depending on how much clearance you have between the awning and your door.

Sold the RV, bought a house in North Fort Myers
tgif: let's RV - Facebook

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Converted A&E manual Elite 9000 Awning to 12 volt electric
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS