Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Rallies, Shows and Gatherings: Punkin Chunkin
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/10 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just love things that go boom, whoosh, any other sound, & then go splat.

I know this is a long way off but has anyone been to the Punkin Chunkin at Seaford, DE in November. It looks like a hoot. Right up there with lawnmower racing. I understand that there is dry camping onsite.

Anyone been to the event? Camped there?

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/10 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would make a air cannon out of some 6" pipe, just to partisipate. It would be fun, and you get up front parking if you actually bring a air cannon, even if it only works a little bit. Or there might be a pre-qualifying round, or something to keep out the riff raff.

I saw them on TV, and would love to know where to go, in my retirement, that would make a great trip, to top off a east coast trip to see the leaves change color, get some lobster that is really fresh, and see that part of the country.

Fred.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/10 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like it would be great fun & more or less right in our back yard so to speak. http://www.punkinchunkin.com/ The camping apparently is open field which could get interesting if it rains.

We have been to Killens Pond a few times, a nice park. Also nearby is Martinak SP, Denton, MD which is a good park as well.

All being well we plan to be at the Chunk next year.

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/10 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to the Chunk in Delaware on a Saturday back in 2005. It made for an interesting day. The part we enjoyed the most was the "free for all" that started after 3:00PM. Before that it seemed like a long wait between "chunks". There certainly were lots of crazy machines that people have put together just to throw a pumpkin. They also had live music in the evening.

I don't recall that on-site camping was available the year we went. We stayed at Cape Henlopen State Park, about 20 miles away. Assateague Island National Seashore has dry camping and is about 30 miles away.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/10 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CloudDriver wrote:

We went to the Chunk in Delaware on a Saturday back in 2005. It made for an interesting day. The part we enjoyed the most was the "free for all" that started after 3:00PM. Before that it seemed like a long wait between "chunks". There certainly were lots of crazy machines that people have put together just to throw a pumpkin. They also had live music in the evening.

I don't recall that on-site camping was available the year we went. We stayed at Cape Henlopen State Park, about 20 miles away. Assateague Island National Seashore has dry camping and is about 30 miles away.

The location has moved since you were there last. The closest CG's are G&R and Killens Pond State Park. I am not sure if sites are available at the Chunk. I think they are for the participants. Bring your boots if it rains.Chunk clicky

Full timing it since July 2012 My pics

4*phun*2

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/10 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The guys from Myth Busters did a special on Punkin Chunkin the other day. It was a hoot.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/10 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The picture will give you a general idea of the crowds. Yes, it can be muddy, so be prepared to get dirty. I would also suggest to be easy on the spicy foods the night before. The pictures show the facilities which are pretty basic and well used. There are no comfy heated bathrooms to run to.
It is a great event that donates a ton of $$$ to charities, so check it out and help support it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS