Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: electric awnings
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> electric awnings

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
mytime

Winter Snowbird-somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/11 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Ours had the auto retract feature when we bought the coach and after watching it retract when a bird flew by, it was dis-connected and never re-hooked. Takes less than 20 seconds to retract from either inside or outside, so we just retract it when not needed or leaving for awhile. Also, without the auto feature, it can be tied down just like a manual awning, which is also a nice feature for an electric awning and the billow system built in, will never allow it to wrap over the roof.

You can overide the wind feature if you wish, just turn it off!!

2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/11 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In order to understand why no awning can extend after retracting, one has to understand the workings of the awning that makes it retract. The anemometer, that's the gizmo on top with three cups on it that spins around, generates electricity when the wind spins it. If it spins fast enough, it generates enough energy to retract the awning. The energy created by the anemometer travels down a one way street. Once retracted, the awning cannot redeploy using the same method used by the retraction mechanism......Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
Chevy HHR W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

RV-1/2n-FUN

FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/11 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

In order to understand why no awning can extend after retracting, one has to understand the workings of the awning that makes it retract. The anemometer, that's the gizmo on top with three cups on it that spins around, generates electricity when the wind spins it. If it spins fast enough, it generates enough energy to retract the awning. The energy created by the anemometer travels down a one way street. Once retracted, the awning cannot redeploy using the same method used by the retraction mechanism......Dennis

No anemometer in use on our awning.

HobbyTalk

NFM

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/11 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

It's doubtful that a small anemometer could generate the 6 amps needed by my awning motor. If so I would get about 10 of them, mount them on the roof and use them as a wind generator to charge the batteries.

Sold the RV, bought a house in North Fort Myers
tgif: let's RV - Facebook

jchonroad

South Berwick, ME

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/11 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an A&E Weather Pro. And when the wind sensor failed (two months after the warranty runs out) it was going to cost us in the vicinity of $400 (parts only) to get it replaced. I didn't. I figured that I could push the button a lot of times to retract it myself, for that kind of money. Didn't even know that it had failed, til one day I was sitting in the MH and heard this faint beeping. Tracked it down to the awning controller, which was alarming. Thankfully there's a little switch on the side of the controller to shut the wind sensor function and alarm off.
The auto (water) dumping feature still works just fine.
John

John '46
Joyce '46 (DW)
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBERS
Heidie '00 (#1 Guard Dog, 11 lbs), Reggie '09 (#2 Guard Dog, 14 lbs) & Lady '12 (#3 Guard dog, 13 Lbs.)
'05 Winnebago Voyage 35A, Workhorse W22
'03 Cavalier Toad w/Sterling Aluminum Tow Bar & Brake Buddy

Pirate

Appalachia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/11 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have a 17' weather pro awning I am giving away. The motor works. Come and get it. PM me.

leghorn204

center of the continent

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/11 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have my DW for that, and she's fully atomatic, alas however not equiped with over-ride feature. Extremely noisy too.

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/11 12:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leghorn you are living up to your name sakes reputation! Bet she doesn't read the forum either!!

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/11 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW the input from the anemometer that Dennis spoke of would provide the signal not the power to retract the awning. Wind strong enough to spin it and generate enough power to run the motor itself would probably be strong enough you would no longer be concerned with the awning! Be worried about having a "Dorothy moment!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> electric awnings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS