Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Tonneau cover with 5th wheel hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tonneau cover with 5th wheel hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
grampscamper

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/11 03:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will I be able to use my tunneau cover while towing the 5th wheel? I will be picking up our new Rockwood Ultralite 5th wheel in a couple of months and wanted to know if I will have to remove my tonneau cover. I have a 2011 F250 4X4 Crew Cab with a 6.75’ box and a tri-fold soft Ford tonneau cover. I'm planning to eventually buy a generator that I can leave in the front of the hitch. When I unhook the 5th wheel I want to fold the cover to hide it for obvious reasons. Will the cover interfere with the 5th wheel?

jasult

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/11 04:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have about 5 inches between 5ver and truck bed. You may lose an inch of that if you have rails on top of bed but I don't see it being a problem when you roll up the cover in front of the hitch.
On my setup, I decided on removing stock bumper on the 5ver and made a heavy duty bumper with a carrier to store the generator with a security cable. The generator is only inches away from my electric cord.
You can see the pics in my mods. On the off season, I secure the genny to my hitch rails and I made a custom lock to secure it to the rails.

Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

Beartoo

Perham MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/11 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My tunneau cover fits over my fiver hitch.

DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/11 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ended up getting a FOLD-A-COVER HARD PLASTIC bed cover. It clears my 5th wheel hitch just perfect when I fold it back to the rear window area of my truck bed.

When I am unhooked from the trailer it folds over the whole top and clears the fifth wheel hitch.

The FOLD-A-COVER is lockable at both ends and water-tight. Being hard plastic I can stack alot of stuff on top of it when digging around in the bed of the truck looking for things haha... Most of my camping is pulling an OFF-ROAD POPUP and I completely remove the fifth wheel hitch from the truck (Held in place with four steel clips) to give me more storage room when pulling the POPUP trailer.

FOLD-A-COVER bed covers are great and lockable - I got mine from this dealer..
LINK

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/11 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I set my honda 2KW generator in the corner next to the tail gate. Completely out of the way for the fifth wheel operations.. My generator is secured to the truck bed using the steel lockable cable. When I use my generator I just pull it out on the tailgate with the steel cable still attached and plug in my SHORE POWER CABLE from the trailer. I use one of these RV 30AMP adapters that plugs into to both 120V plugs at same time.

Search EBAY for "RV HONDA 30AMP ADAPTER"

When done using the generator I just push it back in under the hard plastic top and close tail gate. Both the hard top and the tail gate are locked and generator is OUT-OF-SITE...

* This post was edited 02/12/11 05:53am by RoyB *

Cox89XJ

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/11 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve seen them used. You might have to rotate the pull release handle so it doesn’t stick up too high, but that should be no problem. Just drill another hole for the handle pin.
I wish I had a cover.

GM-Jayco36REQS

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/11 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my ExTang Tri-Fecta folding cover. Works great with or without the 5ver and hitch.

2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW/CC, 4x4, Duramax TD, Curt 20K, Trifecta Cover
2011 Jayco Pinnacle 36REQS, MOR/ryde pin

2003 SVT Cobra Convertible, 16 lbs boost, Magnaflow cat-back, K&N CAI, MGW Shifter, 18" Bullet Wheels, Toyo Proxies

ontariofarmer

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/11 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an Extang Tri-fecta cover on my Ford, and it's GREAT. You can kinda see it in my sig photo

If you are planning to run the genny in the place where you want to put it, I would be concerned about the heat factor. The cover might get very hot. "Just a thought"

2003 Ford F250 King Ranch CC SB 6.8L V10
2003 Jayco Quest 253D 5er

trustymopars

Maryville, TN.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/11 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little different cover, I have a RollBak, but it works just fine. It makes it nice when not towing to be able to cover my hitch and still have security for things in the bed. JT

2006 Dodge Ram 3500QC CTD 6-speed SRW
2011 Montana 3465SA Hickory Edition
Husky 16 K Slider

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.

bpounds

Whittier CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/11 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Retrax. It clears my hitch plate, but I had to shorten the release handle. I also put a bungee cord around the handle to keep that side of the tilting head low. If the handle side swung high, it would hit the cover and make opening the cover difficult. When towing, I can close the forward part of the bed and lock it down so that it barely clears the pin box.

Works great, and I can lock the bed secure when not towing.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tonneau cover with 5th wheel hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: