Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Major rust item found on Itasca
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Major rust item found on Itasca

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
RichardFM

Fort Pierce, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/11 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another poster mentioned that the black paint peels and rust starts in the areas around the storage bays. That is easily fixed by scraping and applying Rustoleum spray. This weekend I found a major rust problem on the metal bracket which supports the fiberglass panel between the slide out step and the bottom of the door.

The fiberglass panel can be removed by removing three screws and then the metal bracket can then be removed by taking out two screws, one on each end. The bracket has holes for three screws so I will add the third screw when I put it back together. You will probably find that the fiberglass panel is not easily removed from the metal bracket due to the rust and will have to use a 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver to get the bracket off the MH body.

After getting everything apart I scraped the rust off and applied two coats of Rustoleum primer and two coated of the same black Rustoleum that I use around the storage bays.

The rust seems to have been caused by water being trapped in the body area above the bracket and slowly dripping out and keeping the bracket wet. Water ran out when I removed the first bracket screw. I will add drain holes at each end when I put it back togather.

2005 Itasca Meridian 34HD
at Fort Mountain, GA

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/11 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm drawing a total blank on this panel. Are you talking about the extension step under the front door?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

BrokenElbow

Valencia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/11 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm dealing with rust on all of the steel parts under my new 5er (just delivered two weeks ago) from the road salt picked up on the trip to California from Indiana. A response to my post for a "cure" was OSPHO (a rust converter with great reviews). Here's a link. OSPHO

2011 Montana 3455, MorRyde pin box, TrailerSaver BD3 air hitch, G614 tires, 2x6volt batts, 2 x Honda 2000i, Rotochoks, 6 pnt Levelup, TST TPMS, Arvika bike rack, Voyager Semi Wireless Rear Cam, Flojet Mascerator, 2008 F350 Lariat 6.4L diesel 4x4 SB CC SRW

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/11 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found using rubberized undercoating works great on undercarriage areas where the paint is coming off or wearing away. It seals, insulates and quiets while looking good.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/11 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

POR-15 works incredibly well for things like this!

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Richmcm

Philadelphia, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/11 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diplomat Don wrote:

I found using rubberized undercoating works great on undercarriage areas where the paint is coming off or wearing away. It seals, insulates and quiets while looking good.

x2

Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

RichardFM

Fort Pierce, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/11 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SCVJeff wrote:

I'm drawing a total blank on this panel. Are you talking about the extension step under the front door?
The long narrow body panel between the extension step and the door. The back end is part of the right front wheel well.

webhannet

Southern Coastal Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/11 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the Rustoleum Rust Reformer paint (I think that was the name) after scraping and wirebrushing areas of rust, and I thought "that is that". Now, 6 months later, I find the paint has bubbled beneath the paint. I suggeat that doing all that work requires using a better product.

I don't think the rubberized undercoating does more than seal the rust in - rusting is still continuing below that rubber. I would prefer to use undercoating AFTER using something like the POR product.

RE: Winnebago and Itasca. There have been many posts over the years complaining about undercarriage rust forming (even before delivery) of these products. Hopefully, they've improved things at the factory, but owners should check and deal with rust early and often.

Guy Autorino

Emerald Isle N.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/11 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 Itasca and thought the rust was do to living on an Island , Thanks for the idea of under coat.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/11 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Autorino wrote:

Thanks for the idea of under coat.
You have to completely get rid of the rust before you can undercoat. If you don't, it will come back.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Major rust item found on Itasca
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS