Woodalls Open Roads Forum: grease rubber mounts on upper part of companion hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> grease rubber mounts on upper part of companion hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
johnsontsc

Great Falls, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/11 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B&W companion hitch.

I'm trying figure out if you can grease the 2 rubber pieces that the top hitch part sits on. If so what kind of grease. I know that some grease eats through rubber and some grease is fine. I really don't even know if its rubber or some type of other material.

Big Red Newbie

trvlrerik

Salina, Ks.

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/11 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure if it is rubber or synthetic material either. I am using a white lithium grease to very lightly cover them, I have been doing this for three years over some very rough roads and terrain and they still look like the day I got the hitch, (18k Companion).

Erik Clark
wife Debra, kids Alex & Alyssa
09 Heartland Cyclone 3912 Full Throttle
08 Ford F350 Lariate 4X4 6.4 srw
B/K popup ball w/ B/K companion 18k hitch

houtrz

Lake Jackson Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/11 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually called the factory two years ago and they told me the white lithium grease is what I needed to use. You can get it in a spray bottle.

On an added tip, if the top of your king pin plate tilts back towards the cab of the truck, place a bunge cord on the back side of the hitch, around the big center bolt. It will force the plate to tilt back towards the RV.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/11 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My manual did not specify what type of grease, so I've simply used general-purpose "axle grease" and have not noticed any degradation of the rubber mounts. The only time I've ever seen these degraded was on a Companion that had had the head taken off and left sit in the sun for several years. One thing that I =am= going to do, is to drill and tap a hole in the top of each side and put a 90 degree zerk fitting in there to allow me to grease it without having to remove the cross-piece. (Yes, I'll champfer the underside so I don't chew up the rubber.)

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

RBabb

Owasso, OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/11 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

houtrz wrote:

I actually called the factory two years ago and they told me the white lithium grease is what I needed to use. You can get it in a spray bottle.

On an added tip, if the top of your king pin plate tilts back towards the cab of the truck, place a bunge cord on the back side of the hitch, around the big center bolt. It will force the plate to tilt back towards the RV.

x3 on lithium grease, I use spray on chain lube because I'm a dirt bike rider and always have it.

If the hitch is tilting toward the cab contact B&W they have a spring assemble that corrects this issue. They will ship it outright away and it just takes seconds to install

08 Ram 3500 Big Horn, DRW, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 6sp Auto, B&W Companion, Prodigy Controller

08 Ram 3500 Big Horn, SRW, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 6 sp Auto, B&W Companion, Voyager Controller

01 NUWA 39SUT Packrat, 40' Toy hauler

johnsontsc

Great Falls, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/11 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, big help I will def go and get some tomorrow. The sounds already killing me and I havent even takin it out yet. Just been running it around to the mechanic's and storage. I will def go and get some tomorrow.

We are going to go to the the fam camp this weekend 10 seconds away from our house. Just so when start going places I dont look like that new guy!

Schertz, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/11 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RBabb wrote:

houtrz wrote:

x3 on lithium grease, I use spray on chain lube because I'm a dirt bike rider and always have it.

If the hitch is tilting toward the cab contact B&W they have a spring assemble that corrects this issue. They will ship it outright away and it just takes seconds to install

Just called B&W and they are sending me the spring clip free of charge. Nice customer service right there.

M&R
Schertz, Tx
2008 GMC Sierra SLT CC Dually, 4x4
94 gallon in bed tank, 129 gallons total fuel
2010 Heartland Sundance 3200re

Bill, KE7FSV

Taylorsville(Salt Lake City area), UT, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/11 04:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Light coating of white lithium grease.

2007 Tango 2660RKS FW, 2006 Chevy 3500 D/A with service body.

just me

Salt Lake City Utah USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/11 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a suggestion, a grease that works with rubber would a silicon based grease. And one suggestion for that would be SLIGLIDE, (napa) used on the pins on brake calipers. If it needs greased.

95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

nremtp143

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/11 03:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used both white lithium grease and red-premium tube grease on mine. And yes I cleaned it before switching. Both work great. The only down side to the axle grease is that it eventually gets everywhere and has to be cleaned up again.

2012 Sandpiper 365SAQ, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> grease rubber mounts on upper part of companion hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: