Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Avion camper rebuilds - hundreds of photos
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion camper rebuilds - hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 272  
Next
67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/11 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.

* This post was last edited 03/01/14 07:00pm by 67avion *   View edit history

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not familiar with the Avion, but aren't your walls filled with insulation? I've pulled insulation out weeks after the last rain and it was still wet after discovering a leak.

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sorry 4 your loss.it seems to me u have a monumental task ahead as all wood/porous materials are probably ruined. hopefully the outside shell and windows are ok,not so much every thing else.not trying 2 be negative just realistic.wishing u the best of luck in your project.

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:

I'm not familiar with the Avion, but aren't your walls filled with insulation? I've pulled insulation out weeks after the last rain and it was still wet after discovering a leak.

That would be my concern too!

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/11 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The insulation in the walls is not porous. Also it has retreated, or was never meant to be filled to both interior walls of the shell. The angle of the water didn't get to the roof, so most of the interior water that we found had leaked through the windows. It was in the water only for about 2 hours - so it didn't get too much in that area. We still have some water in the bottom of the interior shell, but it appears to be evaporating OK. We drilled weep holes from the inside. Excellent point, however.

garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW, That looks very similar to my Avion right now. The only thing that I can think for converting the black to grey, is that the tank sits up into the camper, so the shower would not drain well, if the tank was full. I have been looking at a longer skinnier tank to go under the floor at the overhang. The later Cayo campers had their grey tank under there.
Have you looked at Thetfords 12V recirculating toilet? It has a 5 gal capacity, that you can empy through the floor via a normal waste valve to a bucket (if you don't have hook-ups) and then dump into any toilet, out-house, or if you are really boon-docking, you could dig a hole and empty. This is the way I am leaning right now, and I am going to weld up an aluminum "pan" for the toilet to sit on the flat floor, and then seal the toilet to the pan, and have a floor drain in the pan to the grey tank. We'll have to keep tabs on each other as we ca nbounce ideas off eachother for the rebuild. BTW, did your insurance cover anything? Or is this all out of pocket? It does make a difference.
Good Luck and talk to you soon.
Garry in Kodiak AK.

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/11 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There was some insurance though I carry very high deductibles. However, it will not help much on this project which is going a lot further than I might normally. I thought that I'd remove the molded toilet and replace the floor. The composting toilet is held down with two brackets/clasps I think. Here is an image of the present arrangement:

We should stay in touch. I don't want to clog up the forum with too many posts and try people's patience, however.

Canned Ham

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67avion wrote:

I don't want to clog up the forum with too many posts and try people's patience, however.

Seems to me that if you post pictures and new info in this same thread, anyone who doesn't have interest in the rebuilding of your Avion can just move on to another thread.

I, for one, would love to see progress in the salvage of a neat old Avion; not too many of those left, never mind in usable (or repairable) condition.

2002 4x4 Dodge DRW Lariat SLT Quad cab
5.9 Turbo Diesel
6-speed manual transmission
with some kind of exhaust(?) brake

...but something's missing...

garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canned Ham wrote:

67avion wrote:

I don't want to clog up the forum with too many posts and try people's patience, however.

Seems to me that if you post pictures and new info in this same thread, anyone who doesn't have interest in the rebuilding of your Avion can just move on to another thread.

I, for one, would love to see progress in the salvage of a neat old Avion; not too many of those left, never mind in usable (or repairable) condition.

Thanks for the kind words Canned Ham. When I got my gutted Avion a few weeks ago, I have been searching for restoration pics and tips, and there are only two places that have any pics at all, and one of those places is here. I could not believe the interest I got in the camper just carrying it from Anchorage to Homer AK, and then getting on the ferry back to Kodiak. People really like to see these old campers. and in the 60+ mph winds in the Turnagain Arm area of Anchorage, we felt very safe and stable, even being a 10'3" camper on a Short Box Super Duty, so I hope that these threads might encourage others to rescue some more of these neat old campers.
Thanks again!
Garry in Kodiak, AK

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't be too concerned with the walls drying , as you said the sprayed in insulation does not go wall to wall , it's sprayed on to the exterior skin . It wouldn't be hard to take off the lower half of the interior skin to really let the air get at it . I would be more concerned with the wings and floor . They are sandwiched , 3/8 ply , 1" styrofoam and 3/8 ply . You can probably take the top 3/8 off the wings without too much trouble which will let it dry good. The floor I'm not sure how to deal with , aside from taking it out completely and replacing it . The fact that it was in the water for 2 hours didn't hurt the wood , how long it takes and how thoroughly it dries is what will determine the damage.

As far as the waste tank(s), I managed to add a 10gal grey tank for the sinks . Couldn't tie in the shower because the main 3" from the black tank is in between. In the future I thought about lowering the fiberglass rear overhang which would allow for much larger tanks and would also allow the shower drain to cross over. In the mean time I use a 7ga water jug from WM for the shower , works out pretty good because I don't feel guilty emptying it almost anywhere.

What is it that they say "no good deed goes unpunished" LOL. Best of luck , if I can help give a hollar.

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 272  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion camper rebuilds - hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: