Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Hard to Open Rear Windows on Chevy Roadtrek

Posted By: sergeant76 on 05/25/11 02:05pm

On the RoadTrek Yahoo Groups for the last several days there have been discussions of hard to open rear windows on Chevy Roadtrek's.

There is a reason for the hard to open rear windows on Chevy RoadTreks and the reason for the rear door windows being screwed shut, it is a safety concern, and a RVIA Code as well as a US regulation.

Today I received the following information from RoadTrek, reads as follows:

Sleeping Areas in RV's need to be protected from Carbon Monoxide emissions from both tail pipes and generators. The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) Code requires this.

The rear door windows are screwed (riveted on older units) shut by Roadtrek according to US regulations. The reason for this is that people sleep in the vehicle. Because it is possible for a person to be sleeping in the back of the vehicle when it is moving, and the vehicles are brick-shaped and create a negative pressure zone behind them when moving through the air, vehicle exhaust can be sucked in through the rear door windows and potentially harm a person there.

Note:

Having been a Police Officer for 38 1/2 years here in MA, being in Uniform Patrol as well as being in Detectives, Plain Clothes, in charge of Special Investigations I have witnessed and investigated numerous deaths involving deaths of Carbon Monoxide.

Have seen both accidental and suicidal deaths of Carbon Monoxide in Motor Vehicles, very sad.

It is important to keep all rear windows, being the rear doors, and the rear side windows closed when operating an RV or when the vehicle is standing and idling.

Also, folks should not be sleeping in the rear of an RV when the vehicle is moving as serious injuries or death resulting can occur due to a Motor Vehicle Accident.

Ron

Ron & Rose Cabral
New Bedford, MA
2010 Chevy/RoadTrek 190 Popular
FMCA-303873 ~K1RRC~ RRCRT@aol.com

Posted By: 1775 on 05/25/11 02:49pm

This had to be just one more thing that Roadtrek overlooked on my 2011. The rear windows open normally - no screws were added.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Posted By: My Roadtrek on 05/25/11 05:51pm

loving retirement wrote:

Some RT dealers are known for removing those screws.

X2

Posted By: Handbasket on 05/25/11 06:11pm

My '02 C190P, bought low-miles used, still had square-drive screws thru both rear window knuckle latches. Simple enough but somewhat costy to take them out and install screens.

Jim, "Yeah, I'm lost. But dam', I'm sure making good time!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Posted By: sergeant76 on 05/25/11 04:09pm

1775 are the holes there were the screws should be?

Ron

Posted By: loving retirement on 05/25/11 04:31pm

Some RT dealers are known for removing those screws.

Posted By: senf on 05/26/11 10:45pm

The Roadtreks destined for the USA are in some respects different from those destined for Canada. I have yet to see a Canadian Roadtrek with window latches screwed shut. From a safety point, one should never travel with only the rear window(s) open in any vehicle. Maybe that is something that is not commonly known. As for riding in the rear, the law in most provinces says that you must use a seat belt (properly). Lying down on a bed doesn't qualify.

"Drive with Care, Life has no Spare!"
2008 Roadtrek C190V 6.0L Hella Fog, Nighthawk Driving, Halogen Reverse Lights, Fiamma Air Horn, Firestone Air Bags, Custom Bed & Mattress, Custom O/Head Tray. website www.sen-f.ca

Posted By: senf on 05/27/11 11:52pm

tontobird - Surprised that your 2011 Roadtrek didn't come with a screen for the rear door area. The fibreglass mesh screen fits inside the rear doors and is velcroed to the frame. The screen can be zipper opened from either side at the bottom and from either side of the centre at the top. DW thought that she would feel claustrophobic, but now thinks the screen is great, especially as it is simple to open and close the back windows, using the top zippers.

Posted By: Handbasket on 05/27/11 08:45am

The cost was in buying the screens. Removing the screws was as simple as it sounds, as long as you have the right size square drive. Mine was complicated by being sent the wrong screens (don't recall which company, Bug Barrier or Screenz). The owners were on vacation, and neither I nor the girl who took my order knew there were two versions of the '02 RT C190P, with or without plastic trim around the windows. Natch, I got the wrong one.

Jim, "you never really learn to swear until you learn to drive."

Posted By: retraite on 05/28/11 03:28am

senf wrote:

tontobird - Surprised that your 2011 Roadtrek didn't come with a screen for the rear door area. The fibreglass mesh screen fits inside the rear doors and is velcroed to the frame. The screen can be zipper opened from either side at the bottom and from either side of the centre at the top. DW thought that she would feel claustrophobic, but now thinks the screen is great, especially as it is simple to open and close the back windows, using the top zippers.

Ditto here, though we have a PW Lexor. I called a RT dealer and had a screen drop shipped. Same Chevrolet body, so it fits just fine. 'Tis very easy to install, and VERY handy.

Cheers.

Posted By: goreds2 on 05/28/11 06:46am

Mine does not seem to open on my 1990.

See Picture In My Profile
1990 Dodge XPLORER RV Van- Purchased 10/15/10
Chick Magnet !

* Sportsman GEN154 2000 Watt 80cc Portable Generator *
XM Satellite Radio since 12/25/2004
Sold my Class C 1976 Dodge TEC Motor Home 9/25/10

Posted By: 1775 on 05/25/11 09:47pm

sergeant76 wrote:

1775 are the holes there were the screws should be?

Ron

I went out to look. There are no screw holes in the latch on either window and there are no screw holes any place around the window. There do not seem to ever have been any screws placed here to prevent the window latches from working.

Also - the two side windows in the back of my RT which are immediately adjacent to the rear cargo door windows open and close.

Robert

Posted By: tontobird on 05/27/11 07:46am

Our 2011 190P has the screws in the latches. We were wondering why. We'd like to remove them to be able to open the windows when sleeping.

We were just going to remove the screws and figured the latches would work fine. Is this the case?

Handbasket, you said it was costly...what was costly, putting in the screens or removing the screws and getting the latches to work right?

Posted By: tontobird on 05/28/11 09:06am

Handbasket, thanks for the clarification. We couldn't see that there would be a problem removing the screws, but one never knows, sometimes things aren't as they seem.

We do have the screen package, but since the rear windows couldn't be opened I imagined that to get any benefit from the rear screen the back door(s) would have to be wide open. It's nice to know that I can get safe, secure and bug-free ventilation!

Off topic: Senf, I did get a look at your drawer addition in the DIY section and your work is amazing!

Posted By: senf on 05/28/11 09:48pm

tontobird - Thanks and DW thinks it is amazing - that it works!

Print  |  Close