Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: What do you think about the TAB Trailer?

Posted By: pethelp on 09/16/11 11:23am

What do you think about the TAB Trailer? My husband and I are considering getting one but would like some opinions first (Pros and cons).

TAB Trailer Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGc_I13J6Qk

* This post was last edited 09/16/11 02:04pm by pethelp *

Posted By: hemlox on 09/16/11 11:56am

Too small for our needs, but very cute.

Rockwood Signature 8318SS
Chevrolet Suburban 4x4
Reese Dual Cam WD Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

Posted By: skipnchar on 09/16/11 01:16pm

Great replacement for a tent but not a substitute for an RV unless you're REALLY not claustrophobic

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: miatared on 09/16/11 12:15pm

It's a beautiful and well made unit - very small but towable by just about any vehicle. Its cuteness and size calls for a premium price too. It has not sold in huge volume, so you will have a hard time getting user experiences.

You could also look at the r-Pod from Forest River - I have seen one or two at campgrounds thus summer, not cheap but very cute too.

Posted By: Grub on 09/16/11 01:39pm

miatared wrote:

It's a beautiful and well made unit - very small but towable by just about any vehicle. Its cuteness and size calls for a premium price too. It has not sold in huge volume, so you will have a hard time getting user experiences.

You could also look at the r-Pod from Forest River - I have seen one or two at campgrounds thus summer, not cheap but very cute too.

I've seen people build these tear drop trailers from harbor freight utility trailers and pull them with their bikes. It seems that most of the people use aluminum and thin walled siding for construction materials.

Any day enjoying the great outdoors beats any day enjoying your 8x8 office cube!

Posted By: pethelp on 09/16/11 01:32pm

skipnchar wrote:

Great replacement for a tent but not a substitute for an RV unless you're REALLY not claustrophobic

Which is one big reason that we would get one - we are afraid to tent camp because of the bears. Does anyone think it's bear-proof?

Posted By: downtheroad on 09/16/11 01:42pm

Where are you camping that there are bears?
We have camped all over the country for years and have yet to see a bear.

Not saying they aren't out there, but gosh, there are other 'dangers' out there that are much more common...like rude, loud, obnoxious neighbors.

A very small trailer like the TAB will force you to be outside most all of the time..being outside is part of camping, but we don't like to be at mercy of the weather, especially in the Northwest where we camp year round.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Posted By: DaveInPickerington on 09/16/11 02:42pm

I owned a 2009 T@B for two years. It's a very nice trailer. I pulled mine with a Subaru Forester (4 Cyl). As stated above, interior space is at a premium. The sofa made into a queen size bed, so lots of room for two. All but one model, which was added in 2010, lacks a bathroom.

Dutchmen ceased production of T@Bs in 2011. Little Guy trailers is now making the trailers in Ohio. I believe initial production will only include one floorplan (no bathroom).

I used a 15' Coleman Event Shelter for shade while sitting outside.

I now own a 2012 Rockwood A122 hardside A-Frame popup. It seems huge inside compared to the T@B. It has a full bed and seperate dinette that also makes into a full bed.

If you are going to buy used, join the yahoo group: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/tabtrailers/ and read the pros and cons of the trailer.

2012 Rockwood A122

Posted By: turninghawk on 09/16/11 03:22pm

pethelp wrote:

skipnchar wrote:

Which is one big reason that we would get one - we are afraid to tent camp because of the bears. Does anyone think it's bear-proof?

"It" is certainly more bear-proof than a tent, but that's not to say that you might look like a nice midnight snack to one as you trek to the restroom at 2 am!..............

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 09/16/11 02:56pm

cute, overpriced, way too small. inconvenient, have to stand out in the rain to cook, I would never buy a RV without a potty.

bumpy

Posted By: xteacher on 09/16/11 04:03pm

No camper is bear proof to a determined bear. Friends of ours have a camper in Colorado on some land they own (they stay there in the summers), and one of their neighbors called and told them that a bear had ripped into their camper through a wall and trashed the camper - yikes! The repairs were not fun to make, and the neighbor had to shoot the bear to stop its rampage.

My SIL/BIL own a cabin in the N. GA mountains, and they've recently had a bear right up on their deck while they were in the house on the other side of a glass door. DH said he wouldn't be out in the woods without a gun, since they seem to be getting so bold.

Beth and Joe
3 Grown, Non-camping children
1 Future Camper - Granddaughter Alice (born 6/25/14 )
2 Camping Rescue Pups: Maddie (malti-poo/westie?) and Sunny (toy poodle)

2014 Starcraft AR-ONE 14RB
2010 Nissan Pathfinder

Posted By: odie1234 on 09/16/11 03:12pm

Quote:

Probably not the kind the original poster is concerned about but we made 3 "camping" trips (as opposed to rv parking) this year with the grandkids, once in TN, once in FL, and once in MI. Saw bears near the campsite each time.

2007 35TSB Tiffin Allegro Bay FRED
2007 Honda CR-V

Posted By: mlts22 on 09/16/11 02:48pm

I'd see about one of the small K-Zs if you want a trailer that is self contained.

There was a used T@B trailer at a dealer in Austin. It had a small heat pump (provided heat and A/C), a stove, a small refrigerator, a slide out cartridge commode, and a bed. I can see one reason why it didn't sell -- it is neither "fish nor foul" -- it wasn't small enough to be towed by a car like a teardrop trailer. However, it wasn't large enough to be self contained. It also had a fairly high price, so people needing something inexpensive would go with a PUP or a HTT.

With how obnoxious people are, for the price it cost, one could just get a "standard" TT that would have shrimpy black/grey tanks (like 9 gallons for black, 10 for grey), but at least you could take a shower or two in it, and not be at the mercy of CG restrooms.

Posted By: pethelp on 09/16/11 02:11pm

downtheroad wrote:

Not saying they aren't out there, but gosh, there are other 'dangers' out there that are much more common...like rude, loud, obnoxious neighbors.

A very small trailer like the TAB will force you to be outside most all of the time..being outside is part of camping, but we don't like to be at mercy of the weather, especially in the Northwest where we camp year round.

The Montana area, which people say they see bears - but before bears we're actually more afraid of other people, I just didn't want to be negative...

Posted By: Sunbird on 09/17/11 12:35am

I like that they have a parking brake, when is the industry going to wake up?

Posted By: HJGyswyt on 09/17/11 11:24am

You can say it's in the tub but really it's what refered to as wet bath. Meaning the whole bathroom becomes the shower, with a drain in the floor. You simply wipe down the toilet and vanity if you are worried about water spots when you are done with your shower. Many truck campers use this method as well as most Class "B" motor homes. In addition to my travel trailer I have always had a truck camper for our horse or sailboat adventures and the wet bath works wonderful for our family. It's not like you are standing in waste, come on. Like most people here, I like my private bathroom over any public facility, cramped or not. Hans

2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted By: RRUGG on 09/16/11 08:11pm

Bought an Egg Camper molded fiberglass this spring. Similar to Casita & Scamp. 17 ft and has a toilet & shower. We've towed it with our Chrysler minivan and our Chevy Silverado. Both tow it well. Cost about $18000 and worth every penny.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Posted By: Luvs2Camp on 09/16/11 09:19pm

Would be a great "guest bedroom" to haul around!

2011 F-350 Super Duty SRW Diesel Crew Cab
2000 Sunnybrook Mobile Scout 27RKF

Posted By: smkettner on 09/16/11 07:58pm

They seem expensive for what they are. Friend has one. They were pretty much grown out of it before their first child. I think they spent about as much as my 26' fifth wheel at the time. After we camped with them and they saw the space in ours they felt duped.

I suggest a used one at a steep discount.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Posted By: smkettner on 09/16/11 10:39pm

Well it might make sense if your tow capacity is limited.

Posted By: ata3001 on 09/16/11 04:05pm

For me it would sure beat a popup if it had a bathroom.

Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 (24 FT) w/full factory dark tinted glass & front window
2007 Dodge Ram 4 WD, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition, 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 3.92 LSD, Prodigy

Posted By: xteacher on 09/17/11 06:22am

We tried an R-Pod and only lasted 3 trips in it. We were totally claustrophobic in it. The "shoilet" was a pain, too. If it was the only way I could camp, I guess I'd suck it up and do it, but otherwise, no.

Posted By: DesertHawk on 09/16/11 07:34pm

Might look at the Fun Finder TTs, such as: X-139 or a X-160 or the X-160 WB.

We have a 2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head and have never had any problems with being claustrophobic in it. We looked at the T@B, but without a shower & toilet, we passed. They are a Teardrop in shape, but they have a kitchen and room for a port-a-potty. A fairly large teardrop and roomy inside if I remember correctly. It depends on what you want and how good of a price you can get it for. Good luck.

Scamp TTs and Casita and the Canadian Escape and the all electric Egg Camper.

Another new make, "Lil' Snoozy"; seems to all electric as well, but a very nice design, good sized bed.

Maybe a Little Joe or Ponderosa (or even a Roughneck): Fiberglass Trailers would be large enough for your needs, they look neat, but I have not seen one in person.

If a shower is not needed, an Aliner hardsided folding Trailer might be good. We camped a week in Alaska in a rented one this summer, never worried about bears, even after we saw a couple. Chalet also makes one like the Aliner. A better made one perhaps. An Aliner owner told me so.

CampLite seems to be a neat one as well.

Small and Retro Serro Scotty. S/S

A 17' 4" travel trailer with a Queensized bed, large holding tanks and large fresh water tank Palomino Gazelle G-150. Clicky

The Dutchmen Eco 718QB seems to be a neat unit as well. Clicky

Another neat Floor Plan. The 2010 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH. It might be nice to have bunk beds, even for a retired couple. Floor Plan and Video

R-Pod Ultra Lite travel trailers by Forest River with 7 floorplans available; a teardrop shape. R-Pod

Teal Camper a very new lightweight, new concept camper. Teal

19'10" Bullet by Keystone seems like a neat one.

* This post was last edited 09/24/11 12:38pm by DesertHawk *

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 09/16/11 06:06pm

It is very cute, and certainly gobs better than a tent, but at 16k that seems really, really STEEP. I paid less than that for my Jayco Jayflight that was only one year old, and it is 26 ft with all amenities.

I would not buy a camper that doesn't have a bathroom. I dont need a big camper, dont even need slides, but a bathroom to me is essential - otherwise, i'd just do a pop up or a tent. I think I heard most have a toilet, but to me, I like a 'real' bathroom with shower, commode and sink. That's one of the main reasons I wanted a TT. My prior popup without one just wasn't very convenient.

Unless someone has a motorcycle and needs a really well built tiny trailer, i would shop around for something more economical that has more features. I am not even sure if this one is light enough for a bike - that would be the only real appeal I could see to spend that kind of money for it. Yea, it is very cute and fashionable looking, but not for the price it is going for.

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 09/17/11 10:44am

RRUGG wrote:

Bought an Egg Camper molded fiberglass this spring. Similar to Casita & Scamp. 17 ft and has a toilet & shower. We've towed it with our Chrysler minivan and our Chevy Silverado. Both tow it well. Cost about $18000 and worth every penny.

Just out of curiosity - when owners of these tiny campers like yourself say "worth every penny" when you don't get a 1/3 of the amenities I have in my Jayco Jayflight i paid 12k for...what is it that you feel is getting your money's worth? IS it the small size alone? It has to be, as there isn't much else there. I am not knocking these smaller units, I think they are very cute and functional, but for 18 grand??????

WOW.

If I had the tow issues, I honestly (this is only my humble opinion to assist the OP with their decision making process) would go for one of the Fun Finders. They seem to have all the features of a full size TT, just packed in a smaller, towable, package. And like my Jayco I bought one year old, but was rarely used and looked brand new (and I saved a bundle) I wouild do the same with a FF - I would find a really nice one about a year old that someone grew out of, and save a lot of money on it. I have never shopped for one, but I bet you could get a barely used 2011 for about 10k. Maybe less if you found a seller who really wanted to upgrade to a bigger one and just wanted to unload it fast. ANd you get a "real" awning that is easy to put up and down, not a screenroom, usually a full bathroom, or at least a decent shower and toilet, and just more room all the way around.

The thing with TTs like the smaller fun finder is there are a lot of "buyer's remorse" sales out there you can really take advantage of, as the buyers of these often start having "camper envy" at the campground, and usually upgrade to a bigger one quickly. This translates to great bargains for the camper who wants and NEEDS a small one, as you can find great deals if you dont mind one that is "gently used". I have never bought one right off th e showroom floor. I always find one about a year old that was well taken care of, and even my 26 footer was a buyer's remorse sale. They used it barely a year and upgraded to a 5th wheel. Saved me a lot of $$s!

* This post was edited 09/17/11 11:05am by JayWalker2009 *

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 09/17/11 11:06am

mlts22 wrote:

Iteachmiddleschool wrote:

We tried an R-Pod and only lasted 3 trips in it. We were totally claustrophobic in it. The "shoilet" was a pain, too. If it was the only way I could camp, I guess I'd suck it up and do it, but otherwise, no.

That is what turns me off on the Casita and other fiberglass trailers. Having the commode in the bathtub just was way too cramped to be pleasant at all. Even though I do like the fiberglass construction, I'd much rather have a stick/tin camper that is actually not unpleasant to do one's business in.

Are you serious? The commode is in the bathtub??? Does anyone have a pic of this set up?

Posted By: D&J Wade on 09/17/11 11:25am

I haven't seen a t@b in person. But I have a large fifth wheel and just bought a custom 5x8 teardrop camper and I must say me and the wife love this little teardrop. It has a queen size bed inside with shelves and cabinets. I know you have to cook outside but I do that with the fifth wheel anyway on my charcoal grill, so that doesn't bother us. We know it is wise to park as close to the camp bathrooms as possible, so the late night bathroom break isn't to far away. Or an outdoor shower stall with a porta-potty might be a good idea too. When we brought it home from Michigan last weekend we had more people ask about it than I could count. They are a real attention getter, so if you want to be left alone don't get one. Donnie and Jessica

Posted By: ROBERTSUNRUS on 09/16/11 11:08pm

Hi, a T@B is cute and could work well for some people. I didn't like the plastic windows on them. No trailer is bear proof. We have seen many bears in our travels. One evening, we spotted 15 bears on the side of the road as we travelled to our next destination. We have seen 3 bears in campgrounds where we stayed.

Bob
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Posted By: Earthroamer82 on 09/16/11 07:46pm

They are just a TAB bit small :-)

Posted By: mlts22 on 09/17/11 11:01am

That is what turns me off on the Casita and other fiberglass trailers. Having the commode in the bathtub just was way too cramped to be pleasant at all. Even though I do like the fiberglass construction, I'd much rather have a stick/tin camper that is actually not unpleasant to do one's business in.

Posted By: meriflower1985 on 09/19/11 04:53pm

You can try posting this same question at the T@b Yahoo group. You will need to join first.

T@b Yahoo Group

Posted By: Essie2Go on 09/19/11 08:09pm

JayWalker2009 wrote:

mlts22 wrote:

Are you serious? The commode is in the bathtub??? Does anyone have a pic of this set up?

I'm with you, I want to see the picture. I own one of these trailers and it doesn't have a bathtub that I've found.... was hoping someone would post the picture so I would know where to look!

as to why I would want a small pricey molded fiberglass trailer.... no leaks, less maintenance, no sway bars etc... just drop on the ball and you're off camping. Kinda like why people like MAC computers :-)

17 ft Escape Travel trailer
Toyota Tacoma

Posted By: bakerkids on 09/19/11 08:58pm

Wow, you asked for feedback about the T@B, but I think you got mostly recommendations for other trailers. Many responses you've received said it's too small and not worth the money.

Our family has owned two Shasta trailers, and most recenty a 28' Holiday Alumalite Class C that we bought new and owned for 18 years. We're currently in a T@B and love it. I can go solo, and as someone has already mentioned, thanks to the jockey wheel I'm able to move and reposition the T@B for the maximum space/view on the camp pad.

Some ppl aren't very informed as to the T@B models, because all but one, the clam shell, have indoor kitchens. I believe you're also getting prices on new T@Bs being made by LG, and I agree LG won't sell many at that price. Negotiate, and you'll find the price comes down. I have a 2008. I paid under 8k and that included the Thermarest room. I could have got a bigger trailer for the same price, but that's not what I want. The T@B has everything I need. I have plenty of storage, well made cabinetry, a large bed, two burner stove, fridge, AC and two heat sources. The awning can be put on the front or back or both.

We have 3 college-age kids, and all 5 of use can camp in our trailer. Our T@B has a furnance, as well as the coolcat/heat pump. We simple lift the door off, open the curb-side window, and the add-a-room is cooled or heated. We can tow with my Jeep or DH's truck, and we can go about anywhere with our small size and 16" tires. We have a bed that's between a king and a queen, and a u-shape dinette that's handled a dinner for 4. If we aren't close to CG facilities, or they're not clean, I use a Luggable Loo. Double zip the bag and toss in the trash. I no longer dump...or wait in line to dump.

A T@B isn't for everyone, but we're having the time of our lives in our little teardrop. Don't listen to the naysayers, but get what fits your needs. If you have any questions, the yahoo site someone has already posted is the place to go. We have rallies and informal get-togethers, and sometimes join the Tearjerkers. One lady even lives in her T@B.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'm not currently on my laptop, so I'm limited by not having pics on the hard drive. You can click on my signature if you want to see them, though.

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
4 K9s
Our photos

Posted By: bakerkids on 09/20/11 08:20am

Here are some pics of our T@B and add-a-room. The room is a must if you're camping with more than 2 people. In rain, we have plenty of room for games, TV, food, etc.

If you're on Facebook, there's a T@B group, T@B/T@DA group, Midwest T@B group, and possibly other regional groups. You might join the main T@B group and ask questions and look at pictures.

BTW, we're not the young, physically fit type. I'm late 49 DH is 52. The T@B owners we've met on line and at rallies are mostly 50-60 age group. Possibly on the coasts you run into the younger crowd.

Inside the add-a-room:

Thermarest add-a-room:

* This post was edited 09/20/11 08:28am by bakerkids *

Posted By: bakerkids on 09/20/11 09:52am

This isn't my pic, but it's off the Yahoo owners' forum. It's another type of add-a-room built on the EZ-up canopy type frame, but attaches to the T@B awning rail in the same way. Paha Que is also making an awning for the T@B now, and have an add-a-room in the works as well.

Posted By: SuperiorBound on 09/17/11 11:20pm

I love my teardrop, I like to cook outside and I am not sleeping on the ground. I can move it around by myself and camp setup is a mere few minutes. I have an umbrella or tent which I can set up if it is going to rain and I want to. But curling up in the tear is cozy. The Tab is about the same except you can stand up in it and it has a real table.
However I agree the price is a bit high.

Posted By: WandaLust2 on 09/17/11 07:27pm

The Tabs are much to small for us. We looked at tiny TTs after trying a van conversion (Dodge Xplorer) for a year, bought a 13' Sunline, and quickly moved up to a 28' TT.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 09/18/11 04:31pm

SuperiorBound wrote:

I love my teardrop, I like to cook outside and I am not sleeping on the ground. I can move it around by myself and camp setup is a mere few minutes. I have an umbrella or tent which I can set up if it is going to rain and I want to. But curling up in the tear is cozy. The Tab is about the same except you can stand up in it and it has a real table.
However I agree the price is a bit high.

I agree with you about cooking outside. I have rarely cooked inside my TT, and i have a much larger one with a full kitchen. I just use an awning or umbrella if its a light rain. If a heavy rain, we probably would just eat something that didn't require cooking, or if the CG is nearby a resaurant, splurge and eat out. Camping is our vacations, so we enjoy eating out some of the time when we go.

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 09/17/11 03:31pm

Francesca Knowles wrote:

pethelp wrote:

skipnchar wrote:

That TT, however, almost looks like it has just been sitting somewhere abandoned for awhile.

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 09/17/11 11:30am

D&J Wade wrote:

I haven't seen a t@b in person. But I have a large fifth wheel and just bought a custom 5x8 teardrop camper and I must say me and the wife love this little teardrop. It has a queen size bed inside with shelves and cabinets. I know you have to cook outside but I do that with the fifth wheel anyway on my charcoal grill, so that doesn't bother us. We know it is wise to park as close to the camp bathrooms as possible, so the late night bathroom break isn't to far away. Or an outdoor shower stall with a porta-potty might be a good idea too. When we brought it home from Michigan last weekend we had more people ask about it than I could count. They are a real attention getter, so if you want to be left alone don't get one. Donnie and Jessica

I don't think anyone doubts they are a great looking little camper, because they are. I think the "gasp" comes from people like myself who always thought they were cute at the campground but had no clue they went for $16 to 18k. That seems an awful lot for such a small unit that doesn't even have a fridge, or stove, full bath, etc.

I would gladly pay about 8 grand for a unit like that if i needed soemthing small, but couldn't see it to pay more. I am glad those who have them really enjoy them though. That's what matters.

Posted By: D&J Wade on 09/17/11 12:18pm

I don't know how much a T@b cost but my brand new teardrop I bought only cost $5,495 plus the cost to go get it. I can add a oven with two burner stove top for $250 and a two way powered fridge to it for less than $200. The place i bought mine from has a 5x10 with microwave, fridge,stove, and sink for less than $10,000. And I do know a teardrop from Camp-in teardrops fully loaded with sun roof and front couch will cost about $18,000. I only researched traditional teardrops for price and features because i wanted something small and easy to pull with a small car or pickup with gas as high as it is. The only difference I see in a T@b and a small teardrop is you can
standup in a T@b and you can't in a traditional teardrop. I hope this helps you out.
Donnie and Jessica

* This post was edited 09/17/11 12:31pm by D&J Wade *

Posted By: Redwoodguy on 09/19/11 11:08pm

Hi Francesca!

Awww, no! We haven't been any further north than Crater Lake this past weekened. Wow - - another Takena/Sorento! What are the odds?

We hope to be up in Columbia River area next May on our way to JellyStone and Tetons. So, keep an eye out!

Home: Humboldt County, Ca.
TT: Airstream Flying Cloud 25B
TV: 2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ 1/2T using Equal-i-zer hitch

Posted By: Redwoodguy on 09/19/11 10:42pm

The T@B is what got us interested in travel trailers last summer. We saw them, fell in love with it, but it was late in the season and we didn't buy.

This year we started looking earlier and the T@B was on the list. We added other units we found on the Internet like the rPOD and the MPG, and the Takena/CURV. We looked at them all and the prices were similar. We have a small V6 Sorento and wanted to keep the dry weight under 2800# or so.

We concluded that for $18K we liked the "more" that we got in the still-small Takena/Curv.

We've seen two couples camping with the T@B this summer. I describe them as young, fit, hiker/biker types. And it seems to fit their sensibility for camping. For us "old geezers" who get up 3X in the night to pee, that T@B just wasn't going to do! You know?

They seem to be nicely made, BTW. Some people would really dig a small two-seater sports car that costs $40K, others would think that was a waste. I say look it over close and see. Price isn't everything. A lot of trailers with cheap prices are simply big wobbly boxes stuffed with cheap junk stapled all over them. Don't be too swayed by price alone.

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 09/19/11 10:49pm

Hi, Redwood Guy!

Not to throw the thread off topic, but I had to ask:
A couple of weeks ago I saw a Takena/Tow combination that looked like yours!
It was at the "Promised Land" campground on Hwy 101, north of Aberdeen, Washington.
Was that you, by any chance?

Francesca

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 09/17/11 12:47pm

pethelp wrote:

skipnchar wrote:

Like somebody already said, trailers aren't bear proof.
Here are some pics of bear break ins!
An old Shasta( from http://www.retrorestoration.com/59shasta-2.htm

An old Boler- this one's pretty recent- read discussion at http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.as........Fbolerama%2Fmessages%2F%3Fmsg%3D8837%2E1

Oh!
And cars aren't bear proof, either...
A Ford Explorer break in, from http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_15566687?source=rss

* This post was edited 09/17/11 02:27pm by Francesca Knowles *

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 09/17/11 03:42pm

OOPS!
I see the link I supplied with the Boler picture is funky...
You have to select "Guest log in" to read the Boler-Bear story...
Here's what the Boler owner said about the damage - he was selling the bear damaged fridge for parts on the "Bolerama Forum":

BEGIN QUOTE:

"Hi, I have a RM211 fridge that would be good for parts. It had a slight issue with a bear, so has no door and the freezer door is also gone, but the fridge was working prior to the encounter. I assume the compressor is still working, and just want to avoid sending it to a landfill if someone could use the parts. I'm located in Collingwood, Ontario. Let me know if you're interested.

"Slight" might be an understatement. The bear ripped out the small window above the stove, then pulled out a chunk of fibreglass below the window to make it bigger so he could get in. He then wrecked the stove (pulled off the cover, and bent the burners), ripped off the fridge and freezer doors and generally made a mess.

and no, we were not at the trailer - it was parked in while we were doing about a week backcountry out of our canoe. "

END QUOTE

Francesca

Posted By: Colorado71 on 09/17/11 02:22pm

At least with a hard shell trailer you get a bit of warning to get out/grab bear spray etc.

In a tent it will most likely collapse at which point there is nothing you can do except pray.

Print  |  Close