Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Camping Storage Units?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Camping Storage Units?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Alan Steve

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/11 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are the essential camping storage units and accessories that we think are a must have on a camping trip.

jim1632

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/11 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is for camping near to your vehicle, where the requirement is for compact storage and easy movement to a picnic table.

Rubbermaid Action Packer containers or an equivalent are the first step. We always used two containers. One had our kitchen/cooking/cleanup items and the other held canned/packaged foods that did not need refrigeration. Ours were generally about the size of a Xerox box of paper - in fact, the boxes left over at your office are good starter storage items, esp. for the extra food. You do want to get a fold-up dish drainer to use for letting dishes dry after washing - get a camping store or Wal-mart. Used a cooler for the the refrigerated items. Put clothing and toiletries in a softsided bag.

Inside the cooler you can use plastic containers to keep items dry and also avoid contamination for the melt water. Best to just start with the Glad or other brands of disposable freezer containers from the grocery store. Once you have an idea of what you really need, then can buy some more permanent containers. A must-have is a plastic egg container because the paper cartons will disintegrate in the cooler.

Best way to determine what is needed is to start with sturdy cardboard boxes or inexpensive plastic containers to determine what you really need before graduating to permanent containers. Also most campsites have a picnic table so you probably don't need those fancy camp kitchens and such.

Our camping set-up has some items that are now 40 years old because you find that some simple items that work don't need replacing unless they break.

hikenhunter

where ever

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/11 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing on your link that I would consider is the Rubbermade Action Packer. The nalgene containers and the other plastic containers might be ok but you can probably find similar stuff that will perform just as well and cost less. the rest is just trendy and could be replaced with additional plastic bins or regular duffles.

maskins

Goldston, NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/11 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on the type of camping I'm doing, sometimes it is just my back pack. Other times it is two rubber maids containers and a cooler, others it is the travel trailer. I don't see a need for most of that stuff. You can easily hang the trash bag off a tree or picnic table. The shelf can be made by stacking the Rubbermaid. The water bottles are needed but you can use empty water or Pepsi bottles and get off much cheaper.

2005 Chevy 2500HD
2008 Sunset Trail ST28BH

retiredtraveler

Woodstock Il --- GO HIKING!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/11 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tent camped for decades and went to a popup. We do the same thing as we did tent camping. Plastic containers. We had up to half a dozen of the larger, plastic bins and we put all the gear, food, bedding, in them. The idea was that we could pack/unpack in the rain and everything stayed dry as well as fairly organized. Also, we camped in bear country and you wanted to be able to put your food-related stuff in a bin, sealed, and in the car. Bins allow for easy transport.
Not elegant, but practical.

Unsure what you are asking in the way of 'accessories'. We have always had an 'old fashioned' white gas stove that you have to hand pump, a propane lantern for outside, an LED lantern for inside, flashlights for both of us, minimal cooking gear and utensils (we used mess kits for many years plus one cast-iron fry pan).
One of the best accessories we have are toiletry bags that zip, have pockets inside, and a strap with a hook on it. These are the handiest items that we use multiple times a day.

Pup: 2007 Jayco 1206 w/slide-out + shower
surge brakes, 54w solar panel
TV: 2005 Nissan Xterra 4X4, manual trans
25 years tent camping, 4000+ miles of hiking, lots of biking

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Action Packer is solid storage bin. It is lockable which is good because you can wrap a security cable around a tree and padlock both sides (won't stop anyone determined, but will at least keep honest people honest.)

I also second (or third) the clear plastic bins. They not just save on weight, but do a good job at keeping bugs out of your food.

One thing I would recommend (and this is not for backpacking but for hauling stuff in a vehicle) are plastic tubs. These have proven invaluable for keeping stuff where it should be.

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Large soft duffels by companies like Jansport and many others. They are as big as the plastic bins, but don't scratch the inside of your vehicle and fold flat when not in use. Oh yeah, and some like the Jansport brand carry lifetime guarantees.

royST

ann arbor

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what's listed in the article, I'd go with the Action packer. Looks really versatile and really sturdy to store different things whether it's clothes or food and those kinds of stuff. I'm just curious how much it weighs and how much is its capacity.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Action Packers come in three sizes, at least they did when I bought mine about a dozen years ago. I have 2 of each, small, medium and large.

The boxes themselves are light. But the large ones are really best for cloths because they are so large. If you fill them up with canned goods and propane bottles they get too heavy.

Most of the other stuff is kind of gimmicky. I wouldn't buy any of it. I followed this site to their review of coolers. The showed the Coleman 54 quart as number one. Well I have one of those as well, and it is pretty good. But it is not the best. I go through a lot of ice and I use block ice.

inyigoL

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 01:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tplife wrote:

Large soft duffels by companies like Jansport and many others. They are as big as the plastic bins, but don't scratch the inside of your vehicle and fold flat when not in use. Oh yeah, and some like the Jansport brand carry lifetime guarantees.

yeah I agree with you.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Camping Storage Units?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS