Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Is there an "All Wheel Drive" Honda CRV?

Posted By: FIRE UP on 10/24/11 11:11pm

Ladies and Gents,
Well, in our quest for a new toad, many of you have answered stating the Honda CRV as reputable, reliable and an overall great little toad. Well, We've been searching around for one around '07 and up, up to a 2011. But, in talking to my neighbor this afternoon, he states there is NO ALL WHEEL DRIVE CRV. He's been working for a local Honda dealer as a tech for over 10 years. He claimed there is only two wheel drive and four wheel drive.

I began to systematically argue with him about the models available. Mainly because, we've seen in multiple ads, "CRV All Wheel Drive", CRV FWD (front wheel drive) and CRV FOUR WHEEL DRIVE.

And, as usual, we did talk to one salesman who stated the Four Wheel Drive gets better gas mileage than the ALL WHEEL DRIVE. Well, folks, from doing a ton of research in multiple sites, including some official Honda ones, you know, the ones that have the section "Build your Honda, and the only models listed for the 2011 year is 2WD and 4WD. So, we kept going back farther and farther in all the archive ads, info, dealer pictures, etc. etc.etc. and we see no insignia on any CRV, no label on any inside placarding, dash, doors etc., nothing on any legal paperwork shown on any ad etc, that states officially, an AWD or ALL WHEEL DRIVE model as being built, in any year.

So, my question to all of you previous and present owners of CRVs, do any of you have ANYTHING that states yours is an ALL WHEEL DRIVE model??????

Now, let's don't get too crazy here, we certainly DO KNOW about the difference between FOUR WHEEL DRIVE and all wheel drive. Many manufacturers have been producing all wheel drive cars and trucks for years. The four wheels are coupled together by various means and ways, depending on the manufacturer and the technology involved. The Honda CRV four wheel drive model is basically front two wheel drive (FWD) for a very large percentage of the time and, basically only sends power to the rear wheels when and if, it detects the fronts are slipping in whatever kind of conditions they're in.

But, an "All Wheel Drive" model, of any make of manufacturer, has ALL the wheels driving ALL the time. Some of that will vary a little, again, due to technology. So, what say you?
Scott

P.S. I guess I'll have to go back to my neighbor with my tail between my legs and admit he's right. Duhhhh, he works for Honda.

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Posted By: ReverendCharles on 10/24/11 11:15pm

I think Honda has a website that lists the specs. Try to google Honda CRV all wheel drive and you will get a lot of info.

Posted By: Mr.Mark on 10/24/11 11:42pm

On the back of our '07 Honda CR-V, there is a sticker under the rear windshield wiper that says.. "4WD".

In my maintenance book it says "On 4WD model only, Rear differential Fluid: Honda Dual Pump Fluid. Do Not use ATF". I'm just noting that it states on '4WD' models.... not AWD. On page 254 of my operating manual, it refers to vehicles with 4-wheel drive that if you spin the wheels excessively trying to get unstuck, overheating the 4-wheel-drive system will automatically cut off the rear wheels until the system cools down.

There is not a lot of info on the 4WD system in the book, never noticed that before.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking, Blue Ox base-plate, Blue Ox tow bar.
Liberty Coach

Posted By: danager on 10/24/11 11:43pm

Because it is not "all wheel powered all the time", it makes it a 4wd system.

Honda's Real Time 4WD system on the CR-V utilizes a dual hydraulic pump centre/rear differential and 4WD transfer case. The dual pump system employs two pumps, one driven by the drive shaft from the transfer case at the front of the vehicle, and the other driven by the rear differential. When there is a pressure difference of greater than 3% between these two pumps, a clutch that connects the front and rear axles begins to engage. The greater the difference in axle speeds, the more torque is applied to the rear. This system would most accurately be called, "automatically engaged four wheel drive," because the driver has no control over when the system engages. To allow the ABS braking system to function properly, the 4WD clutch will disengage if the brakes are applied. The B20Z engine sends 52% of the torque to the rear wheels or which ever wheel has the most traction
Later model CR-Vs equipped with automatic transmissions also have a lockup torque converter and Grade Logic program which aids the CR-V when climbing steep inclines by keeping the transmission in the lower gear. The 2007+ 4WD system was improved and sends an additional 20% more torque to the rear tires than earlier models.

Posted By: danager on 10/24/11 11:22pm

The "Real Time 4 Wheel Drive" used in the Honda CRV is somewhat unique, and perceived to be close to AWD. It is more of an automatic 4wd.

Posted By: gemsworld on 10/24/11 11:25pm

From what I read in an automotive review years ago, the CRV is really an AWD even though Honda calls its system 4WD. I'd like to hear from an expert what the difference is between the two systems.

Posted By: J-Rooster on 10/25/11 12:04am

Good Luck Scott! I'm also in the market for a new toad! My wife doesn't like driving the stick shift in our Toyota Yaris (Best tow vehicle I ever owned! There will be claw marks on it when I trade it in!) Were looking at the Honda Fit!

Posted By: SoakedKarma on 10/25/11 02:19am

I gotta laugh here.. before y'all get a fancy toad check the towing requirements.. many AWD have to be towed on a flatbed/trailer or U can destroy the system..

1989 38' Elite by Elite Coach Corp.
Ford 460cid C6 w/Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive 2 speed-transmission
208" WB John Deere RV 1200 Chassis air bag tag axle.
21,000 GVW
1987 Honda cmx250c Rebel

Posted By: Buick_Fan on 10/25/11 03:19am

It's basically a smart 4wd that you have no control of. I bought a new one for my wife back in 06 and she loved it...no buttons to push for additional traction, good fuel mileage, good ground clearance. Had it (5) years and was suprised how well the resell value held up on it.

Posted By: Goldencrazy on 10/25/11 05:18am

The Fit is a nice car. If you do a few small things with it and don't tow over 65 it is good to go as an automatic toad. Friends who have one are having terrible time with the air force one hook up.

Posted By: SRT on 10/25/11 06:45am

IMHO, the only real AWD vehicle is a Subaru. They've been making them for about 15 years. All 4 wheels are driven all the time. But regretfully only the manual transmission Sabarus can be towed 4 down. Wish the my Subaru Tribeca could be towed 4 down but it is an automatic. So we continue to tow our 1998 Sabaru 5 speed.

Posted By: The Texan on 10/25/11 06:50am

SoakedKarma wrote:

I gotta laugh here.. before y'all get a fancy toad check the towing requirements.. many AWD have to be towed on a flatbed/trailer or U can destroy the system..
Don't you think they probably are aware of that and this is the reason they are trying to check and ensure the system is towable.... At least that is the way I read it...

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Posted By: Big Katuna on 10/25/11 06:51am

Its mincing words and definitions. Personally, if a 4WD doesn't have a low speed transfer case, its either a full-time or part-time AWD.

Here are some definitions from some serious off road folks.

CLICKY

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Posted By: garym114 on 10/25/11 06:57am

Only two flavors, front wheel drive and Real Time 4WD.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Posted By: invmartyc on 10/26/11 09:50am

I owned a 2002 CRV all-wheel drive. No you cannot have all wheels driving unless the front wheel spin free, then the rear wheels engage. So it is not like a 4 wheel drive vehicle, either full time like a Subaru, or when engaged like a jeep.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..."
Mark Twain

"The beauty of the trees,
the softness of the air,
the fragrance of the grass,
speaks to me.
And my heart soars."

Chief Dan George

Posted By: FIRE UP on 10/25/11 08:20pm

Well Gang,
It appears that there is no official labling of All Wheel and 4WD in the CRV world. It's really no biggie. As stated several times before, this vehicle will not be used for anything that will require genuine 4WD, as in any type of trail or condition that a 2WD unit cannot handle. Smitty, thanks for the notice there partner.
Scott

Posted By: sc3283 on 10/26/11 08:52am

Danager is spot on correct....giving 20+ yrs of my life to Honda....I know he is correct

4wd, real time, AWD...who cares what it is called? It is an "on demand" type system

The rear end oil on a CRV should be replaced ever 15k to 30K for best rear end life and to not hear the common noise from old used worn out fluid....All 4 tires need to be same tread depth and exact match front and rear...rotations are recommended for driven (not towed ) vehicles @ 7500 mile intervals.

and to be technical, unless a vehicle has "locked" differentials....there is NO true 4WD.....a differential applies power to only 1 wheel...which makes it an "on demand" type system as well. How many of you 4wd drive owners have been stuck to only see 1 frt and 1 rear tire spin?

* This post was edited 10/26/11 09:12am by sc3283 *

04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

Posted By: gemsworld on 10/25/11 06:45pm

I think the following excerpt nails it perfectly. Those of us with part time AWDs already know the following: AWDs are not nearly as capable as a true 4WD system. Like the article says, the PR people can call it anything they want but the CRVs and my Saturn Vue are NOT 4WD. At least Saturn called its sytem AWD.

"Automatic AWD system is the newest kid on the block. PR agency generated names like "Real Time 4WD", "intelligent AWD" or "active AWD" are hiding the fact that automatic AWD is essentially a sophisticated 2WD system. Automatic AWD is NOT powering all 4 wheels all the time. Only on rare occasions all 4 wheels will be powered very briefly. Since AWD is only engaged on rare occasions, sometimes automatic AWD is falsely called "part time 4WD". Engineers refer to this system as an "on demand system". Since it is based on an existing 2WD steup, it is also referred to as a "hang on" solution."

* This post was edited 10/25/11 06:52pm by gemsworld *

Posted By: FIRE UP on 10/25/11 11:20am

danager wrote:

Because it is not "all wheel powered all the time", it makes it a 4wd system.

Honda's Real Time 4WD system on the CR-V utilizes a dual hydraulic pump centre/rear differential and 4WD transfer case. The dual pump system employs two pumps, one driven by the drive shaft from the transfer case at the front of the vehicle, and the other driven by the rear differential. When there is a pressure difference of greater than 3% between these two pumps, a clutch that connects the front and rear axles begins to engage. The greater the difference in axle speeds, the more torque is applied to the rear. This system would most accurately be called, "automatically engaged four wheel drive," because the driver has no control over when the system engages. To allow the ABS braking system to function properly, the 4WD clutch will disengage if the brakes are applied. The B20Z engine sends 52% of the torque to the rear wheels or which ever wheel has the most traction
Later model CR-Vs equipped with automatic transmissions also have a lockup torque converter and Grade Logic program which aids the CR-V when climbing steep inclines by keeping the transmission in the lower gear. The 2007+ 4WD system was improved and sends an additional 20% more torque to the rear tires than earlier models.

Danager,
Well Sir, not sure where you got all the techno info but, it sure looks good to me. I'd like to see some specs on that just for my own well being. I don't plan on doing rock crawling with this thing, I've done that for 25 years, over every rock and mountain UT, CO, CA, etc and I'm done with that stuff so, I just want something that has a bit of an advantage over a standard 2WD ANYTHING that I will tow from this point on. Maybe we venture off on a dirt road in this park or that one and it would just make me feel better IF the toad has some sort of 4WD.

Now, to the one who asked me to "Google" it, I did that, way before I put the original thread out. I searched hi and low for Hondas official EXPLANATION of "4wd and ALL WHEEL DRIVE". Well, without getting into some sort of technical info that's not normally provided to the general public, I simply could not find ANY info on an ALL WHEEL DRIVE CRV! Danagers answer so far, is the best info I've seen on their particular system and how it works.

I assume that, as usual, 99% of the buying public could care less about the guts of their cars, only that it works and is reliable. I'm not chastising anyone here, just stating what I think is fact.

Posted By: gemsworld on 10/24/11 11:25pm
From what I read in an automotive review years ago, the CRV is really an AWD even though Honda calls its system 4WD. I'd like to hear from an expert what the difference is between the two systems.

gemsworld,
I may have read that same report last night in my search for info. It's the ONLY time I saw PRINT that stated Honda's CRV was ALL WHEEL DRIVE. And, if I recall, it was in or around the year of the '06 model. Now, the question is, where did they get their info, From Honda? I can't find it. And, if they (Honda) in fact, did offer an "All Wheel Drive" instead of a 4WD model in any year, then why hide the info on it? Other than that article. I can't find any print anywhere, especially from HONDA, stating they had or have, ALL WHEEL DRIVE MODEL CRVs.

As stated before and above, we've been jeeping all over this planet and certainly know the difference between most four wheel drive systems. Yes, we're used to a manual transfer case that has a high and low range, neutral, 2WD and 4WD selections. Those types of transfer cases are primitive and intended primarily for true off roading. While the technical mechanism installed in the CRV, and many other comfortable sport utilities, cross overs, mini-SUVs, according to "danager" and my assumptions, is for an "Occasional" slip here and there in maybe some mud and or snow type conditions. Not really intended for any form of serious off roading. And, that's exactly what I'm intending on using it for, 99.9% road and .0001% for a easy dirt exploration, should the opportunity or need arise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: SoakedKarma on 10/25/11 02:19am

Well Sir,
We certainly did check all the specs BEFORE we made our first move on changing toads. According to Honda, both the "4WD" and the two wheel drive (front wheel drive) model CRVs can be flat towed. The Chevy Equinox ALL WHEEL DRIVE model, can be flat towed, I've got a copy of an exert from the owners manual sitting in front of me.

Ladies and Gents, this certainly was not intended to be a presidential debate, I was only trying to find info on this site that I simply could not find in the sources I was trying. So far, of ALL THE ANSWERS that have been applied to this thread, NO ONE has an OFFICIAL ALL WHEEL DRIVE CRV. Yours apparently are 4WD. Now, just how and when the "guts" of the mechanism kicks in and makes ALL the wheels turn to keep the vehicle moving, is the engineers design and, I guess it's up to them to label it "Part time 4WD" or, "Real Time 4WD" or even "All Wheel Drive". And, finally, as stated, most likely 99% of you don't really care, it works for you when you need it, for your intended purpose, correct? Thanks again for taking the time to read this and respond. Certainly appreciated.
Scott

Posted By: belairbrian on 10/25/11 11:56am

I think this all comes down to the fact that their are no legal/official definitions of AWD, 4WD, 4X4, Real Time 4WD or Part Time 4WD. Companies use and create names as they see fit for their marketing campaign.

As the owner of a 1st Gen CRV (2000) I can tell you mine is referred to as Real Time 4WD. And in the 1st Gen was only available with the 5 speed.

As far as recommending a CRV I definently would. Not saying their perfect.

1st Gens have interference heads and rubber timing belts. Also prone to cracks in the plastic parts of the radiator as they age.

2nd Gens have known issues with the A/C system. Their were TSB on this where Honda considered request to pick up out of warranty repairs.

But mine is still a daily driver and even 2000 models still fetch $6k or more.

TV 2003 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab Dually w Duramax/Allison
2005 Keystone Cougar 314 EFS
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy BC, Delorme GPS
USAF Retired

Posted By: CarlGeo on 10/25/11 01:36pm

I have a 2008 Honda CR-V and it is AWD (all wheel drive). I tow it 4 down and it's a great vehicle.

Posted By: Greyghost on 10/25/11 01:40pm

We're on our third Honda CRV Real Time 4 Wheel Drive (2001-85K + 20K towed, 2005-37K, 2007-88K + 40K towed). We'll probably replace this one in another 50K road miles.

I found this link with a pretty good explanation of what you're looking for.
http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html

Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2007 Honda CRV EX-L 4WD,
Jewel and Clifford Bouvier Des Flandres

Posted By: FIRE UP on 10/25/11 03:39pm

CarlGeo wrote:

I have a 2008 Honda CR-V and it is AWD (all wheel drive). I tow it 4 down and it's a great vehicle.

CarlGeo,
Does it say anywhere on, inside, on top, behind, on the back of your CRV or, in the paperwork ANYWHERE, that is is an "All Wheel drive" or does it simply say 4WD in any of those places? Thanks
Scott

Posted By: FIRE UP on 10/25/11 03:43pm

Greyghost wrote:

We're on our third Honda CRV Real Time 4 Wheel Drive (2001-85K + 20K towed, 2005-37K, 2007-88K + 40K towed). We'll probably replace this one in another 50K road miles.

I found this link with a pretty good explanation of what you're looking for.
http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html

I certainly thank you for the link. It was posted here by another replier too. It's pretty good at explaining the four wheel drive systems.
Scott

Posted By: SpinRite on 10/25/11 04:23pm

My 2005 Honda Element has the exact same AWD/4WD system, as described by Denager. I have towed it 4-down back and forth across the country. Driving it on soft beach sand in Corpus Christi, and on ice and snow, it has worked exactly as it is supposed to do. I have been happy with it.

The only "issues" I have encountered is that (like all FWD cars) the front tires wear faster than the rear tires, and when the fronts get slightly smaller in circumference than the rears, the AWD comes on continuously -- this is noticeable by a slight (~10%) decrease in fuel mileage. Swapping tires front-to-rear corrects it.

Also, the dual pump oil needs to be changed after 30-40 thousand miles, else it makes a weird, soft groaning noise during tight slow-speed turns. It is a pretty quick-and-easy DIY project, if you're handy.

Any issues you may encounter with 4-down towing will come from the transmission, the AWD doesn't care.

'94 Holiday Rambler Navigator
38', Cummins 8.3 300hp, Allison 3060
pushed by a 2005 Honda Element

Posted By: Smitty77 on 10/25/11 04:32pm

Scott - You must learn to not trust posts signed by Smitty. They'll just get you in trouble with bets!

I am guilty of calling it AWD in your previous posts. While Honda does call it Real Time 4 Wheel Drive - I consider it closer to AWD then 4WD.

It will never go everywhere a Jeep 4WD can go, never pretended to.

I will edit your ealier post to not call it AWD. Not a big deal, but it is not accurate.

Note: I did just put new tires on our CRV RT4WD, and noticed I'm getting about 1.5 better MPG. My old tires had good traction, but at the cost of MPG. This may explain the lower values I was seeing then others.

Best to all,
Smitty

Posted By: mike brez on 10/25/11 05:01pm

I thought I wanted a CRV untill I took a 2006 out for a ride. I was not to crazy about it. Their are a lot of them out there and they hold their value very good. ome info here and here To bad they are doing away with the Element. What ever they call the CRV is for marketing. Its a front wheel drive car untill one of the front tires slips then sends some power to the rear tire.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods

Posted By: mockturtle on 10/25/11 08:13am

Mine is a 'Real Time' 4WD and it's a great toad and a great daily driver.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

Posted By: donsuefuggrwe on 10/25/11 11:38am

Our 2010 CRV is a on demand 4 wheel drive. A front tire has to be spinning, no traction, before the rear wheels lock in and drive. It might be great in a snow/ice highway situation or a mud slick road but if you plan to do some 4 wheel drive off road up steep hills it is worthless. There is not enough engine power with the automatic transmission even in first gear to spin a front wheel. The tranny bogs down and you stop. Twice this summer in Colorado I had to back down roads and start over going up much faster than conditions allowed. The manual states that this type of off road driving is not advised. 15000 miles on the car and it to my knowledge it has never gone into 4 wheel mode. Maybe 200 miles of off road driving. I didn't do my homework before buying and I cannot take the CRV places I took my Suzuki Vitera. I have never seen or heard of a all wheel drive CRV. If I had too do it over I would save a few bucks and just go with the 2 front wheel drive model. I also didn't think of the tires. Came with 17 inch Continentals and had to replace with less than 25000 driven and towed miles on them. $790.00 for 4 Michelins. My Vitara got 94000 driven and towed miles on them before replacing. Other wise it is a pretty good car but would like to see better milage than 22/26.

Posted By: gemsworld on 10/25/11 11:43am

I looked at the Honda CRV 4WD (AWD) back in 2005 when I was shopping for a new toad. I ended up buying 6 Cyl. Saturn Vue AWD with an automatic transmission. Although the prices were nearly identical, the Saturn came with a 6 cylinder engine and transmission made by Honda. What really sold me on the Saturn was the 3,500 pound towing capacity, allowing me to tow my 19' runabout a few times a year. The CRV only offers a 4 banger with a 1,500 pound towing capacity.

Posted By: sc3283 on 10/26/11 08:53pm

there are probably thousands of CRVs towed 4 down behind motorhomes...it sure wouldn't be a worry of mine to own 1 and tow it behind me with all 4 wheels on the ground.

Posted By: FIRE UP on 10/27/11 11:35am

emzee wrote:

this was on Edmunds.com >>>>..

Power came from a 2.4-liter four cylinder rated at 160 hp, though this number dropped to 156 hp in 2006 due to a revised rating procedure. The LX had standard front-wheel drive and optional all-wheel drive while the EX was AWD-only until 2006, when a FWD version was also made available. Both LX and EX initially came standard with a five-speed manual transmission, but from 2005 onward the manual was limited to the EX. The other transmission, an automatic, had four speeds until 2005, when it was upgraded to five.

edmunds

Sir,
That was the only place in our search, that labeled a CRV as "AWD". And, like I stated earlier, did Honda tell them it was an AWD for their article or did they simply surmise it? No biggie either way.

As for the last poster who asked if my question was answered satisfactory? Yes Sir, in many different ways. We're going out to look at some 2011 ones today. Man, why in the world are there so many black w/black interior ones out there. And, it seems many of them are for sale. Oh well, we'll keep searching 'till we find what we want. Thanks for all the replies folks.
Scott

Posted By: michahicks on 10/27/11 08:52am

FIRE UP wrote:

Wow, and all I wanted to know was if there is any "Official" AWD model CRVs out there.
Scott

Do you feel that question's been answered to your satisfaction?

1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake

Posted By: FIRE UP on 10/26/11 11:02pm

Wow, and all I wanted to know was if there is any "Official" AWD model CRVs out there.
Scott

Posted By: emzee on 10/26/11 11:03pm

this was on Edmunds.com >>>>..

Power came from a 2.4-liter four cylinder rated at 160 hp, though this number dropped to 156 hp in 2006 due to a revised rating procedure. The LX had standard front-wheel drive and optional all-wheel drive while the EX was AWD-only until 2006, when a FWD version was also made available. Both LX and EX initially came standard with a five-speed manual transmission, but from 2005 onward the manual was limited to the EX. The other transmission, an automatic, had four speeds until 2005, when it was upgraded to five.

edmunds

Posted By: frankdamp on 10/26/11 08:22pm

As I understand it, if your 4WD doesn't have a lever that you can use to put it into 2WD, you can't tow it fourdown unless the manufacturer apecifically says you can - even stick shifts.

Subarus and Range Rovers (and maybe some of the Infinity and Lexus) vehicles shuldn't be towed fourdown without a consultation with the factory (not the dealers). If they say "of course you can", try to get a written commitment to repair for free any transmission failure that results from following their recommendation.

Many years ago, I had a UK Ford Cortina. RWD, four speed stick. No prblemo! Hooked it up to the back of our Colony Park 429 wagon and headed out from Hampton VA back to Seattle. Broke the towing bracket off the frame in Bozeman and left the car there because the alternator was shot (like that before we left, couldn't be bothered to fix it).

Flew back a couple of weeks later with replacement alternator, installed it and headed west. Approcahing Moses Lake, I got these weird snatching noises in the drive train.

Finally got the thing towed home, took the gearbox out and had a local foreign car shop take a look. they said the the lubrication pump for the gearbox was driven by the input shaft from the clutch and that back-driving it by not having the drive shaft disconnected had starved the bearings and caused them to seize.

Bottom line - if the wheels on the ground when you're towing cause ANYTHING in the transmission to rotate, you may be in trouble.

I'm looking at older RWD Volvos, Mercedes wagons, BMW wagons and compact pick-ups as potetnial toads. I looked into making our daily driver, an 03 Kia Sedona, into a toad. Its curb weight is over 4800 lb., so finding a dolly with that high a rating is difficult, plus it would put the towed weight above the 5000 pound hitch limit. Adding all the stuff needed to make it flat towable would cost more than it's worth!

Still ruminating! We don't need a toad in our present RV'ing style (fairly short trips, Labrador retriever along with us). If we did go for a toad, it would have to be able to accommodate the dog - hence the leaning towards station wagons.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion that has faced a similar dilemma.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen Anacortes, WA, soon to be ex-RVers

'02 Georgetown 325, F53, V-10, now at a consignment dealer (Nov 2014).
Dogs - 2 older Labs, both yellow males, both adopted.

Print  |  Close