Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Best way to use tarp as rain fly?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Best way to use tarp as rain fly?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
dogcomestoo

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going camping in the spring with DH and 2 small, well mannered small dogs. WE bring them to restaurants with us and are often complimented about how well behaved they are. So they won't be yappy at all.

I have a Go-Zebo 11 ft x 11 ft screen house and have ordered a 10 ft x14 ft tarp. I have 2 ideas how I could use the tarp as shelter from rain in the Go-Zebo. Which one would work better?
1. I could rest the tarp on top of the screen house and use ropes and stakes to tie it down. Would the screen house frame support the tarp and the tent OK?
2. I could put the tarp up on trees or poles so that the whole tarp is above the screen house and not touching it.

Which way do people think would be better? Or is there an easier way I'm not thinking of? It's relevant to note that I am short and will be putting this up myself. I'll be doing this for just one weekend; if DH has fun I can buy a tent. Choice 1 sounds easier- would I have to have poles or could I just use ropes and stakes? I drove a lot of tent stakes as a kid and into my early 20s.

I have a tent that has been stored in its bag for about 20 years. It was a good quality family size camping tent- is it probably canvas? I'm going to see if it is usable- I may do that on the deck today. I bet I can salvage poles, ropes, and stakes anyway. Unless they're in a separate bag that I lost. I think I'll go see.

Thanks everybody for your time.

* This post was edited 10/28/11 11:47am by dogcomestoo *

dogcomestoo

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone tried SkyHooks?

jim1632

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/11 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Putting a tarp between trees is fine if you have them, but many sites either prohibit tying to trees or don't have them placed correctly. Also you need to be sure to use a center support or rest the center on the tent peak to assure that a water "bubble" doesn't collect.

To put up tarp by yourself, first put up the Go-Zebo thingie. Then attach two corners of the tarp to stakes (tie ropes to the stakes and then adjust later to correct length) so you have one side stabilized. Pull one of the other corners over the tent and attach it to a stake. Final corner should be easy to finish up. I looked at description of your screen house and it noted high wind resistance so there should be no trouble pulling the tarp over the peak. I would suggest that you purchase two expandable aluminum poles to use to make any entry porch on one side of the tarp - just put pole ends into one of the grommets to provide support.

If you have trees use them instead of staking.

dogcomestoo

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't be using the old tent. I'll be using a new Go-Zebo screen house with a tarp over it as a partial rain fly. I'm asking the best way to put the tarp over the screenhouse. As I remember the tent, I don't think I could put it up myself.

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/11 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Id strive to use trees for the tarp that way if a bad wind comes it wont take oft with the screen house have it cover your picnic table/preperation area and at least the entrance of the tent which being 20 year old will probably have dry rot and start tearing whn you get it up. Yea I had a twenty or better coleman once which looked quite good until it was outside for a day or two.

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/11 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at them flexable "poles" in yur GO Zebo I still try to use as many trees as posible Its too bad that set up dont have an optional rain fly a regulsr tarp is kinda heavy for what your tryin But if it dont rain youll be fine whatever cause you wont be worrid about musketas

Vapor_Trails

Yucaipa, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dogcomestoo, why you are planning to camp in the rain? An oversized tarp and a screen room are the definitely the wrong tools for that.

06 F150 Screw, 6.5' Bed, 4x4, 5.4, 3.73
04 Tahoe 23RB-GL
01 VFR800fi
A day without fusion is like a day without sunshine.

dogcomestoo

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm planning to camp when it is not raining. The tarp idea is just a backup in case of unexpected rain. I'm going to try hard to avoid rain.

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/11 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here they say pichures is worth a thousad wurds

tarpage

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/11 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not too worry yknow if it dont work the first night you got the next day to correct any deficiencies Keep in mind the TARP is your only real all weather shelter short of runnin for the car in the middle of the night. I can laugh at ya cause I forgot the rainfly when me and the wife took out on our first campage an ever since she woke up with rain on her head its a hotel or RV no more tents.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Best way to use tarp as rain fly?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS