Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Dometic refrigerator and level ground?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic refrigerator and level ground?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/11 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read various things on this, but will damage result to a Dometic two door refrigerator by being run a few hours not level? I looked this up, and read from everything from a couple minutes non level can cause crystallization of the rust inhibitor to modern absorption refers can be run within 30 degrees without issue.

I RTFM-ed and the manual said something like (and this isn't a direct quote) "if you can comfortably walk in the RV and not worry, it is level enough". That, and no warnings about damage if not level. Just a note about lack of cooling.

This is a head scratcher for me. I know that older models needed three degrees one way, and six the other way, but the modern ones don't seem to have a definite tolerance printed.

ReverendCharles

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/11 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/11 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

I have read various things on this, but will damage result to a Dometic two door refrigerator by being run a few hours not level?

I think I killed the cooling unit in my 10-year old 2-door Dometic NDR1292 by parking in a steep driveway. Replaced the cooling unit and all is well now.

But, yes, you could damage your fridge. Dometic does not specify the max incline.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/11 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. It will NOT ruin the CU. But damage will happen. CU's can be ruined by running overnight on an extreme unlevel area. But if it is more than 3 to 5 degrees and for a few hours, you will have some damage. The Ammonia will start a very small crystalization at the upper tube area when running off level. It is very small, but over the years, if you continue those short time unlevel running it will build up and cause a cooling problem. IF you are parking unlevel for ANY given time, just turn the refer OFF while you park for this short time. That will stop any potential problem. Then just turn it back ON when leaving. Doug

Monaco Montclair

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/11 05:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mine is a norcold---the book said,no more than 3 degrese--side to side and 6 degrese-front to back--more than that the less cooling. ----happy-camping

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/11 04:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine runs fine hooked to the truck at night wally docking.And some nights it's even hard to walk straight with the slope in the lot.It will survive a few hours or a night unlevel.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

zip0

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/11 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dometic Installation Manuals/Refrigerators Caravan-Motorhomes-RV
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE

HOW TO START THE REFRIGERATOR Leveling
In the boiler, ammonia vapor is distilled from an ammonia-water mixture and carried to the finned con¬denser, where it liquifies. The liquid flows to the evaporator, where it creates cold by evaporating into a circulating flow of hydrogen gas. If the evaporator coil is not level the liquid readily accumulates, forming pockets which can impair the gas curculation or even block it, in which case, of course, the cooling will stop. When the recreational vehicle is stationary it must be leveled to be comfortable to live in. If the refrigerator is properly installed, the freezer shelf parallel to the floor, the refrigerator will then also perform properly. A bubble level should be placed on the freezer shelf. When the vehicle is in tow, the continuous rolling and pitching movement will not affect the refrigerator as long as the movement passes either side of level, but when the trailer is temporarily parked this sensitivity of the refrigerator should be remembered. So once more, before you start the refrigerator make sure the recreational vehicle is leveled to be comfortable to live in.

" A day without camping is....WORK"

2003 Bounder 35R
3 Jack Russell's

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/11 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ng2951 - you can run them way out of level while driving down the road because the movement and vibration keeps them happy.
A few hours is the same as a few days when it comes to being off level though. According to a big local rebuilder, damage begins after 15 minutes of being out of level. Remember too that the damage is cumulative in that running it a short time off level here and there will add up as the tubing gets blocked. You may not notice the damage until you try to use it in 104 degree heat and find it wont keep up anymore.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

ng2951

Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/11 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have to say that they are tolerant of quite a bit of slop otherwise the manufacturer would tell you not to run them on the road.

Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe
2012 Unleashed 27SBU
2014 39 days camping
2013 39 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

Starcraft21SSO

Atlanta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/11 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monaco Montclair wrote:

mine is a norcold---the book said,no more than 3 degrese--side to side and 6 degrese-front to back

For comparison, if the refer is installed in the middle of a 20ft camper a 6° tilt would be a vertical difference of 12.6in between the refer and the end of the box. Side to side, 3° amounts to a 4.8in difference between port and starboard sides.

Something tells me you would notice that...

2002 Starcraft TravelStar (21SSO) Hybrid TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic refrigerator and level ground?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS