Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Renegade, Show Hauler or Dynamax
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Renegade, Show Hauler or Dynamax

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
granny 6

Hoover, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/11 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if this is the correct place for question. Sorry if it is not right.

We are looking at these 3 and need any opinions of them. Seem to like the Renegade best but we are in uncharted waters since we have only owned 1 regular C class and a few Class A's.

Thank you for your thoughts.

the_armadillo

SE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/11 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Dynamax Dynaquest 36XL. It is not perfect but we thoroughly enjoy it and as we make a few minor mods here and there it suits our needs very well. It is fairly well constructed, has plenty of power, hauls the toad without knowing it is back there and handles fairly well and predictably. We looked at a few Super C's from some manufacturers that you did not list and upon closer inspection, we were not impressed by their construction.

Dynamax is now owned by Forest River so don't know what the future holds.

1971duster340

NE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/11 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those three companies build near identical looking coaches, but ea. company has a different mission. As of my research from the last few years, Dynamax has standard floor plans, but a different class of comfort. They started with a Freightliner M2 or equal chassis and not a class 8 (Cascadia) chassis. Show Hauler and Renegade use a class 8 for lengths up to 45 ft. and up to 40K lbs. towing capacity. Show Hauler will build the coach/floorplan you want...Seems Renegade had standard floorplans. We almost went with Show Hauler. Lonnie was an extraordinary designer...the best I found. Look into other coaches: Haulmark, Chariot, United Specialties. Chariot fit our desires the best mainly because of their fiberglass exterior, build quality and people.

Greg
2007 Chariot

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 04:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In doing your research the name Truck Conversion motorhomes has been used since the 1990s when these type motorhomes were being built. These are usually built on a class 8 truck chassis. The market for the early builders was the racing customers due to the Truck Conversion's high tow ratings.

The term Super C started being used after 2004 when Gulfstream came out with the Chevy Kodiak chassis which was a Class 5 chassis. Most Super C's are Class 5 and 6 chassis.

In 2004 I toured the factories in the Elkhart area. Renegade by Kibbi, Haulmark, Showhauler, United Specialities using the Trendsetter brand, and NRC. Dynamax was not building a Truck conversion at that time. Pony Express and Silver Crown are two other brands. The Pony Express came first and was built by some ex Renegade people.

It would be worth your time to visit the factories. Most are still in the basic Elkhart area. A couple are now located in Michigan so they are not that far away.

Showhauler and NRC are probably still the most "custom" of the builders. They can show you standard layouts but will modify them in about any way you want if can be built that way. All you have to do is bring the money.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 04:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only offer an "observance". At dog shows across the US, 98% of the pro's all have Renegades. Haulmark comes in second for the remaining 2%. Dynamax was a thumbs down all the way around.

Dog show RV's are used, abused, rode hard and put away wet. So they need a tuff 'reliable' RV. All my friends rave about their Renegade.

I almost bought one, but for me it doesn't have enough windows.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

Don McL

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

truck conversions,

built on class 8 chassis,

all 3 you mention are reviewed as "well done" in terms of fit and finish, dynamax with more spit and polish.

in maybe the last 4 or 5 years all of the truck conversion builders seamed to have put more time and detail into the finishing touches than they had in prior years, probably to compete with the camping crowd and not just the racing crowd. step into a 2005 tc and then into a 2008 and you'll see what i mean.

the three you mention above could be built on different chassis. m2, freightliner cl-120 columbia,or the freightliner cascadia (good, better, best)

also different transmision's, the dynamax will use the allison 6 speed, showhauler or renegade use various trannys.

my coach and n51fh's coach are built on the freightliner columbia chassis, mine has mbe 4000 12.8 liter engine, with an eaton fuller 13 speed ultrashift tranny.

when you ask for opinions we need to know opinions of what? the build or the power train?

my last motor home was a 2010 jayco seneca,

when i owned it i thought the build and quality and workmanship was "not bad" but comparing the seneca to our 2008 haulmark, these thing are solid!! theres no comparison.

don

az99

Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What length box on which chassis are you looking at ?

granny 6

Hoover, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/11 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the information.

Very helpful. We will keep you posted on our search and will probably have more questions for you!

JTHarley

Northeast, Michigan, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/11 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you can see from my signature I am a Dynamax owner. I've owned 3 class A coaches and the one thing I didn't want to give up was ceiling height, 4 slides and luxurious comfort. In order to get that I had to move to the Ultra 450 UL.....Great power, high ceilings, stone floors, aqua hot, residential fridge and the list goes on.. We simply love the power and ease of driving compared to class A. When I looked it was Haulmark, Renegade and Dynamax. Hands down the fit and finish and build quality was not even close. Renegade now makes a great coach in the IKON but the MSRP is well over $500K.

I think all 3 make nice coaches but you need to decide how you plan on using it. For us we travel 3 months in the winter and live in it and then in the summer it is short 2-3 day trips. Any of these brands will customize a floor plan if you want to order a coach.

Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2005 Prevost Royale XLII
Jeep Sahara Toad

ktmsmith

Stone Creek

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Dynamax as well, a Grandsport GT on the Columbia chassis. When considering our options we looked at many manufactuers building Super C's and Truck Conversions. Hands down, the Dynamax was superior in build quality.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Renegade, Show Hauler or Dynamax
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS