Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: dehumidifier or space heater for new trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> dehumidifier or space heater for new trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
forrestrv

washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i just purchased a new trailer im keeping it plugged in to power next to my house. I plan to camp all year, although it maybe once a month or longer in winter that it sits next to house. This morning it is extremly cold maybe down to thirties although most of the time it is in the 40"s to 50"s and rains alot. I live in seattle wa and dont know what to buy to keep in rv a space heater or a dehumidifier or both?

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air that is heated will absorb moisture. Air that is cooled precipitates moisture. Ergo air at 40 to 50 degrees will accept more moisture when heated.
My vote would be to place a heater in the rig that will add drying heat when required. A dehumidifier will not take moisture from air that is that cold unless it can take the temperature across its coils to somewhere close to freezing.
Just my O
Ron

masa4u.com

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/11 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given a choice I would opt heater.

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

gktsuda1956

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ForrestRV. I like you use my RV year round. I'm down south of you, Longview, WA. When off the job I park in my driveway plugged into 110v in the garage. I make sure when I leave job site 30 amp supply, I turn off the water heater electric breaker and always have the AC breaker off in the winter. These 2 have the ability to overload your 110v house circuit. I put an electric radiant floor heater in the trailer set to keep the trailer at about 65 as I don't want to run the gas heater if possible. When I see weather report showing freezing temps, I turn on the gas water heater and the TT gas heater is always on in the winter. I have an enclosed underbelly, heated by the gas TT heater. I have electric radiant floor heater setting that will help warm the trailer yet still allow the gas heater to turn on intermittently to keep the underbelly tanks from freezing when extremely cold. I put the radiant electric floor heater in the kitchen, farthest away from the gas heater thermostat so that when it does get 32 or below, my thermostat, hopefully will turn on the gas heater to heat the tanks/underbell. Also by putting the electric heater in the kitchen it is also near the gas heater air intake which will than be drawing in the warmer air produced by the electric heater. If power should fail at any time, the gas heater will turn on.

Attempted to send a private msg but your settings do not accept.

Glenn
Retired Navy Saturation Diver
2011 230RKS Wind River - Outdoors RV
2011 F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel Short Box
Longview, WA

ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a heater. Get one with a thermostat that you can set the temp on. Don't get the simple ones that are just on/off - hi/lo. Picked up a new one this year from Costco for about $40.

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gktsuda1956 wrote:

When I see weather report showing freezing temps, I turn on the gas water heater and the TT gas heater is always on in the winter.
You bet. I lived in Seattle many years and, although it's not common, temps in the 20s can and will bust pipes.

I don't know whether OP means keeping the heater in the living quarters or basement.

forrestrv

washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sorry i was unclear a little ive already winterized my pipes im just wandering about keeping some heat to avoid mold mildew in the unit im not fulltiming in the rig just camping once or twice a month

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never seen ANY RV that doesn't produce condensation when it's heated in cold weather. Most find it necessary to leave windows partly open to prevent too much moisture from moisture condensing on glass surfaces and wetting walls and floors around windows. I'd put a dehumidifier inside before using a heater because I think that will have the opposite effect from what you're looking for.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 12:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both actually. There are alternatives to the traditional dehumidifier:

One choice is to place several big Damp-Rid tubs in 5 gallon buckets (or a clear plastic storage tub), then put one in the kitchen, bedroom, closet, bathroom, and storage. The reason why you put them in a secondary container is a safeguard because the calcium chloride inside is nasty stuff if spilled.

Another choice is to use multiple Eva-Dry Mini Dehumidifers that will absorb water, then will need plugged in so the heater can cook the water out of the beads (obviously not something done in the RV.) I am trying this route and will let people know how good/bad this works.

Of course, Eva-Dry has a couple smaller electric dehumidifiers, but if one goes electric, the best solution might be just sticking a large one in the bathtub and having it drain into the grey water tank, assuming one has a heater running to be safe.

As for heaters, I'd consider two good 1500 watt heaters that have low settings over one heater set to high. This way, if one stops working, the whole RV won't end up freezing. Once my storage site gets a 30A pedestal in, this is something I'm planning to do.

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all purty much live in the same area. Keeping the pipes from freezing is important. With your Fox Creek you MUST have the propane heat on to do that. I have a friend that didn't do that, he has had his pipes freeze and split twice now, and he still doesn't, sigh....

That being said, we aren't going to use ours for a few weeks, so yesterday I winterized it. It took all of about 30 minutes and one gallon of pink-stuff. It will take almost no time (come late Dec) to switch it back to "use". Northwood really makes winterizing easy.

For long-term storage I also use a Marine dehumidifer, which is basically a 100 watt heater and a fan. I checked this AM and the rig was 1 degree warmer then outside.

For winter "use" you might want to consider a dehumifier, a real one, with the drain dumping into the grey tank. Last trip out our rig hit 85% (inside)

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> dehumidifier or space heater for new trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS