Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Don't text and drive
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Don't text and drive

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
zip0

NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/11 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Driver was texting in Missouri traffic pileup

" A day without camping is....WORK"

2003 Bounder 35R
3 Jack Russell's

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/11 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I understand that one should not be texting while driving, I don't see how it would have made any difference here. His texting had no effect on the buses that rammed him from behind.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/11 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are ways of stopping the carnage, but the pantywaist in the state capitals or DC don't have the courage to enact the necessary legislation. A simple device installed in all motorized vehicles would stop it.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/11 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dieharder: The article says the kid was texting when HE ran into the rear of the semitruck THEN the school buses were involved.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

workhardplayharder

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/11 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joy wrote:

Dieharder: The article says the kid was texting when HE ran into the rear of the semitruck THEN the school buses were involved.

Dieharder has a valid question, How did the texting cause the bus and additional vehicles to crash? Texting while is dangerous but had nothing to do with the additional vehicles crashing. If they were driving defensively they would have been able to stop before crashing.

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/11 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking he was texting and never even touched his brakes when he hit the truck. No brake lights may have slowed the reaction time of the school bus drivers, causing the resulting pile up. I don't understand the appeal of texting, let alone doing it while driving.

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/11 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

webecreekin wrote:

The Texan wrote:

There are ways of stopping the carnage, but the pantywaist in the state capitals or DC don't have the courage to enact the necessary legislation. A simple device installed in all motorized vehicles would stop it.

We don't need new laws, or new devices on our vehicles. We need to train our drivers. Learning to focus on the job at hand and not allowing ourselves to be distracted by anything else is part of the training. He could have been poking info into a GPS instead of texting. I don't think we can legislate common sense. Most of us can multi-task, but we have to know which of the tasks is more critical.

An aside: I can't text well sitting at my desk, let alone while trying to do something else.
You must be kidding of course....Our schools can't even teach our kids the basics of life and education, so how are they going to teach them to multi task and drive defensively at the same time.

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/11 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obviously "education" isn't the answer with people--can you think of any social problem that has been "educated" away in America? No, you want to cure a problem, make the penalties so high for violating the "rules" that the minority bends to the necessary will of the people--DUI laws, no smoking regulations, pollution laws, etc.
The call that people are just "uneducated" about a problem is limp--of course drivers know that it is dangerous to text and drive, they just don't care or are just like I used to be when I drove drunk "I'm a much more careful drunk driver than all those people killing other people, so it is ok if I drink and drive!" THAT attitude has to be rooted out and the harder you make it for those that hold it, the quicker it will stop.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/11 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still works to have common sense. This might be an old fashion comment but it works for us.
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

webecreekin

Las Cruces, NM 88005

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/11 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

We don't need new laws, or new devices on our vehicles. We need to train our drivers. Learning to focus on the job at hand and not allowing ourselves to be distracted by anything else is part of the training. He could have been poking info into a GPS instead of texting. I don't think we can legislate common sense. Most of us can multi-task, but we have to know which of the tasks is more critical.

An aside: I can't text well sitting at my desk, let alone while trying to do something else.

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab--Duramax/Allison
2009 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS

www.cedarcreekrvownersclub.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Don't text and drive
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts