Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: boondocking in Florida
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Texas Two Steppers

Beaumont, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/11 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thinking about a trip through the state in Jan. or Feb.. We like to boondock as much as possible. Any suggestions?. I checked state park site but could only find info about hookups.

2013 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch

rgraham

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/11 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon docking has been a thing of the passed their for a long time, the police don't like it the RV park owners are dead set against it, and the locals are not crazy about it, their are many ordinance's against it in about all town's, lot's of luck on doing it in Florida

Richard
1987 ford f250 6.9 diesel
1997 Innsbruck by Gulf Stream 28ft fifth wheel with slide
and the wife and co-pilot Trudy

ploiselle

South Shore, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/11 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am assuming you mean real boondocking, not overnighting in a Walmart.

I agree with rgraham. You might be able to pull it off for a night or two in the very northern part of the state (but I doubt it in January or February). The further south you go your chances decrease to zero. Some locals don't want us there at all, even in a campground.

When you see the number of RV's in Florida in January and February, I think you will understand why.

Paul

41' MountainAire (MADP) -Spartan- Cummins 350 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy - CoachNet

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/11 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't think there was enough room in that small state to do any boondocking. If you do find a place it probably is full of alligators.

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/11 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is so funny. I have been boondocking in Florida all my life. There are still lots of places to do so but they are not on the beach or at Disney. Florida is divided into Water Management Districts, almost all have dispersed or "dry" camping areas some on beautiful rivers and streams. The Wildlife Management Areas also have lots of great spots as do the State Forests and National Forests. you may not see alligators but will most probably see snakes, maybe bears, and lots of birds. I am not talking about WalMart here, but real boondocking. lizzie

twodog

arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/11 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if this option will work for ya..
The gov'ment owns a lot of land in flo-dia. Some military installaions will let ya (military types only?) go "down range" and camp. I've taken the required safety courses and paid the fees to do this for some multi-daytime fly fishing on some of the inland waters. I've thought of doing this with my TT, but have not gotten to it yet. May I recommend calling around to some of the installation recreation folks and see what they have to say.
Policies change regularly to keep pace with the times. This may not even be allowed anymore/anywhere. I just don't know.
Happy Trails...........

2dog
17' nash,pv,axleflip,hd sus w/shocks, yamaha gensets
t4r, arb goodies

RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/11 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh and if you decide to boondock in a cow pasture DO NOT open the door at night with the lights on. The carpet of flies on the ceiling will take days to get back outside.

One of many lessons learned riding and racing with the Florida Trail Riders.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/11 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While boondocking opportunities are limited there is plenty of primitive camping areas in the State and National Forest areas. Check out the Osceola and Ocala National Forests web sites. here is a link to the State Forest website for recreation;

http://www.fl-dof.com/forest_recreation/grid1.html

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/11 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks twodog. I forgot about the military reservations. You can get a permit to camp in designated areas on the Elgin AFB Reservation ($8.00, not reserved to military). Not fancy and the roads are terrible, but beautiful country. I will be there next month. lizzie

twodog

arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/11 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lizzie,
that was the res i was refering to. interesting.....
glad it helped.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS