Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Help choosing raingear
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Help choosing raingear

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
wilfwolf

Atlanta,GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 12:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Guys,

i do a lot of walking in the tropics in Brazil and it gets pretty hot and wet. I''m in desperate need of a good, waterproof, stowable, lightweight jacket. Any suggestions? Got to be resistant to heavy rain showers...but not suffocatingly hot for 90 degrees plus daytime temperatures.

many thanks.

I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

armyeng

Yelm Wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 02:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the company "Frog Toggs" I have a 2-piece suit that I use for riding my motorcycle and have never gotten a drop inside the jacket or pants and it is breathable.
Riding in the Pacific Northwest, I do my fair share of riding in the rain and have not found anything that works better for me.

Hope this helps.

orfsotr

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/12 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked out backpacker.com? Lots of gear reviews and also forums on all things backpacking related! kathy

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gortex. Don't know if they are still in business, but I found it to be the 'best' rain jacket I have ever bought albeit it was expensive at the time.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

armyeng wrote:

Check out the company "Frog Toggs" I have a 2-piece suit that I use for riding my motorcycle and have never gotten a drop inside the jacket or pants and it is breathable.
Riding in the Pacific Northwest, I do my fair share of riding in the rain and have not found anything that works better for me.

Hope this helps.

I've used Frog Toggs for hiking and would NOT recommend them for that purpose. Company claims they're breathable but I always worked up a sweat in them. Actually, I'm not sure that any rain gear is actually breathable. A better place for your question might be Backpacker magazine. I used to read it years ago and they had pretty good gear reviews.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

armyeng

Yelm Wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 06:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never used Frog Toggs for that purpose, I only use it for riding motorcycles in the rain, so no real chance of working up a sweat. I do know they have a few different lines of clothing for different purposes, but sounds like you have tried it and have more experience with it in that capacity than I do.
Gortex material is used by alot of different companies in their clothing and it works pretty well too, but to me it doesnt breathe at all JMHO

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume you are speaking of a poncho. I can't imagine wearing a full rainsuit (pants and jacket)in tropical weather. Government surplus stores sell American Made ponchos for about $50. They are one size fits all, usually.

JJBuck

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2nd Froggs Toggs. Never hiked in them, but have worked thru monsoons and snow storms in them. I sweat in any "breathable" rain gear ... especiaally when working, I do construction/remodeling ... and Toggs are by far the best. By far.

brklyncamper

Brooklyn, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 01:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Invest in a high quality jacket that's designed to be breathable. Gortex is a patented technology not a brand. Although, a poncho can work if you care less about design and simply want to stay dry. Here's a current sale on military surplus. You might find something that works for you there.

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll be a lot happier with a 2-piece breathable rainsuit than a poncho for coverage and comfort. Marmot, Mountain HardWear, EMS, REI, Sierra Designs, all offer quality breathable rain suits.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Help choosing raingear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS