Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Camping with toddlers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Camping with toddlers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
smr91481

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going to make our first family camping trip soon. We will be in a tent at a state park for 2 nights. We're getting some flash lights and glow sticks that will keep them occupied at night, but what can we do with out 2 & 3 year old girls during the day that will keep them happy? At home they spend their day taking out every single toy they have and wrecking our house... any good activities for small children?

Dreamsbride

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smr91481 wrote:

We are going to make our first family camping trip soon. We will be in a tent at a state park for 2 nights. We're getting some flash lights and glow sticks that will keep them occupied at night, but what can we do with out 2 & 3 year old girls during the day that will keep them happy? At home they spend their day taking out every single toy they have and wrecking our house... any good activities for small children?

Of course take some of their toys with you especially buckets and shovels. I think you will find that exploring with sticks dirt grass and bugs will keep them well busy...don't forget they may meet new friends too depending on how busy the campsite is. Be prepared also that perhaps the first night either they will fall asleep quick or they will be over tired and hard to get down..Its a lot of excitement and great adventure for the little ones. Enjoy your trip.
Let us know how it goes and what you feel you will do different on the next one.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All our kids grew up camping. My youngest is currently two and loves to camp. Let them explore and wander in their envirnment. I have to say every thing went into my daughters mouth for a time. Camping with kids is a different mind set. Let them help as much as possible. Relax, have fun. Our biggest challenge was bed time with loud drunk neighbors the first night was tough. Almost packed up and left. Good luck. Take a camera and make some memories.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

smr91481

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Dreamsbride,

We're hoping that this will be a regular thing. We wanted to go before, but just didn't feel like the girls were old enough. Now that you mention it... they do seem to have more fun playing with sticks and rocks around the house than they do with their toys.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These types of questions amaze me. We all raise our kids differently. Some parents are hands on and want to be involved with each learning experience, and others let them go off on their own to learn life. We spent time with our kids sharing our campin' experience.

I don't type this to be mean, but if you have to ask, ..........

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

smr91481

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah Korbe, I hear you... it's very stupid of me to ask other people who take their small kids camping about activities that their kids enjoy. It would be way better if I just wing it and figure it out on my own. My apoligies to you.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smr91481 wrote:

Yeah Korbe, I hear you... it's very stupid of me to ask other people who take their small kids camping about activities that their kids enjoy. It would be way better if I just wing it and figure it out on my own. My apoligies to you.

Can't quite tell if your being facetious or not, but I agree to wing it and figure it out on your own. Enjoy your camping excursion, I'm sure your kids will.

smr91481

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually was, but I don't want to argue with you. I just joined the forum and I'm not that guy who fights with people on message boards. I just didn't like the way you're giving me a hard time about my question. I'm not looking for advice on how to raise my kids... I simply asked for ideas for things to do.

Moving on though... if anyone else has any ideas my wife and I would love to hear them.

stitchinsue

Central Pa

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always pack some familiar toys but keep them out of sight .. To be used in an emergency only lol. I also have things the kids have never seen, I haven't had to break out that box yet.

It's not stupid to ask!

Dreamsbride

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your going to have a blast. Just remember its all new to them too.
Take the pics and make sure you post a few when you get back.
Happy Camping.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Camping with toddlers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS