Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Kid friendly activity or camping ideas 3-4 hrs around DC?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Kid friendly activity or camping ideas 3-4 hrs around DC?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
rajdude

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone,
We are new to RVing and have only one trip to Florida beneath our belt. We have a 27 foot MH with toad.
I'm looking for some kid friendly long weekend getaway around here (Washington, DC). Kids are 4 and 8 year old boys. It would be nice to talk the dog along too.

First I thought Ocean city, but searching on these forums gave me an impression that there is too much partying going on. Not kid friendly.

Any suggestions?

crispyc21

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/12 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For kids I would suggest the two Yogi Bear campgrounds (Natural Bridge and Luray). They are only a couple hours away. Natural Bridge has a couple great zoos down the road and Luray have the caverns. My 4.5 year old loves them both.

Bill & Kate

Stone Harbor, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/12 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cape May County, New Jersey ... lot's of campgrounds, none on the beach, but all are close to beaches ... historic like Cape May .. boardwalk like Wildwood ... quiet family beaches like Stone Harbor, Avalon, Sea Isle, Ocean City. Little known secrete is that Stone Harbor has RV parking adjacent to the beach - meters at 96th Street, free at 122nd Street -- you do have to have beach tags for the adults everywhere except the Wildwoods.

Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Molson (goldendoodle) and Zeke (partipoodle) (recently rescued puppy)
2005 Ford/Quigley 4x4 E-350 Chateau Super Duty Van with 6.0L PSD ("Moby")
2012 Outback Super Light 277RL - 10th Anniversary Edition ("Salty Dog House II")

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/12 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crispyc21 wrote:

For kids I would suggest the two Yogi Bear campgrounds (Natural Bridge and Luray). They are only a couple hours away. Natural Bridge has a couple great zoos down the road and Luray have the caverns. My 4.5 year old loves them both.

Double ditto. Especially Luray Caverns, kids love the whole cave experience.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

jim1632

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kings Dominion near Richmond has RV camping area.

Cape Henlopen CG at Lewes Del - right at ferry to Cape May. You can ride ferry without auto to tour at Cape May. The Lewes/Rehoboth area is very family friendly, both in activities and pricing. Spend the day at the beach in the Delaware SP and then go into Rehoboth about 4-5 PM to do the boardwalk scene for a few hours.

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assateague Island, near Ocean City, is a great place (State Park or National Seashore). There is also Frontiertown, between Ocean City and Assateague. It has a water park and a lot of kid activities. Ocean City itself can get pretty wild at night but, during the day, all the partiers are passed out in their rooms. Most of the problems are within the city, predominantly on the boardwalk. Go five miles away (Frontierland) and it all gets quiet. The draw for Assateague (about 8 miles away) are the quiet empty beaches and the wild ponies.

2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped, 2014: 22

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hershey Park in Hershey, PA. Hershey Highmeadows Campground is really nice with a pool, volleyball, playground, river, swings, etc.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/12 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what you read but Frontier towne in OC is one of the most kid friendly places around.
There is also Jellystone/Yogi Bear: Rehobeth,Lurray,Hagerstown and Natural Bridge.
Kings Dominion,Knoebels,Old Mill Stream(Dutch Wonderland).
First Landing,Kitopeake and Assateague are kid friendly state parks
These place will be busy during the summer. you will need to act soon

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

rajdude

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/12 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow...thanks a lot for the lots of recommendations! We are kinda new to the area and dont know much about what is around here. This really helps!

After spending thousands just a month back...I think we wanna stay away from the theme parks.

Yogi bear sounds good. I think I have a brochure from one of the RV dealerships. Unfortunately it looks like they are already booked. Oh well... we are so inexperienced :-(

Maybe Rehobeth or Frontier towne...searching...

-Raj
rajdude.com
'02 Fleetwood Terra 26Y MH

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with everything above! Ocean City has the boardwalk - which, if your boys are into rides, it can be spendy, but fun.

Beach-wise, the Cape May Courthouse area is my favorite. But, it's a slower pace and quieter.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Kid friendly activity or camping ideas 3-4 hrs around DC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS