Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Scissors jacks to stabilze 23' Jayco
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Scissors jacks to stabilze 23' Jayco

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
pondigger

Wi

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello....have no jacks on a short jayco...does anyone jack their class c?....I'm guessing you'd jack the frame just enough to take some pressure off the springs so the rv doesn't rock when you move around in it....there's some on ebay....5000# and 7500#....what would you get?.....thanks....all responses greatly appreciated

kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what we did with ours...Stabilizing Jacks. Hope this helps!

God Bless,
Kevin & Tracy
1993 Fleetwood Tioga Arrow, 30', Ford 460...Still on the road!
My Blog

Kit Carson

Bossier City, La.

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the same as kcgaz only I had to weld a piece of rectangular tubing from one side of the frame to the other. This was necessary to get the ends of the jacks to come out even with the side of motorhome. I do not use them for leveling just stabilizing and they work great. My unit is a 29' Winnebago Outlook. Hope you are as pleased with yours as I am mine. Happy, safe travels.

KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

pondigger

Wi

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks guys....do you have 4 jacks or just 2 on the back?....thanks

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What make and year is your chassis? I ask because any Ford E350 chassis prior to 2008 has NO rear stabilizer bar, unless added after it left the Ford chassis factory.

If your rig suffers from rocking when parked, what is it doing when driving down the road? Look to see if you have a rear stabilizer bar. If not, I suggest you consider installing a heavy duty rear stabilizer bar. Also assuming your front bar end link bushings are worn, replace it too with a heavy duty version as well.

Our 2007 E350 with heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars, we benefit two-fold. The rig handles much better on the road and it rocks so little when walking around inside, we don't need to deal with jack stands and such once at our destinations.

Heavy duty stabilizer bars by Helwig are affordable and can be installed by a shade-tree mechanic. My brother and I installed a rear Helwig on his E350 motor home. He was very surprised of the results, very impressed. I couldn't get him to consider a front bar though. He still has the weaker stock bar with worn out end link bushings Those bushings don't last.

* This post was edited 06/04/12 04:10pm by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

pondigger

Wi

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a 2000 350 chassis...has a front stabilizer steering shock...not sure what a rear stabilizer looks like...but probably doesn't have one since it's pre'07....I'll google the one you mentioned...I can do a little shade tree wrenching....it's handles well on the road...only has 35k on it....just wanted the jacks so I don't wake the bride getting up in the middle of the night and vice versa

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That front end horizontal shock absorber is something else.

Look under the front end to identify a 1" thick round bar with the ends that pierce through each lower suspension arm called the lower control arm of each front wheel. Note the rubber bushings the ends of the bar passes through. Shine a light from the back side. If you see a gap between the rubber and the bar, those bushings are worn. It is best to replace the front bar with a much thicker, stronger, heavy duty version that mounts differently, a much better method that should not wear out under normal use like the stock bar did.

Once you've identified the front bar, you'll know what to look for in the rear to see if you have something similar there.

Motor homes load the chassis to near capacity by their very nature. Heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars help to address this life long near max load condition. I consider them well worth the investment on any motor home, but "Especially" on a pre-2008 E350. They have no rear bar to begin with which results in an increased load on the front bar, thus more quickly worn end link bushings.

If you do this upgrade, you will note a huge improvement in handling as well as when parked. Your family will enjoy the more stable ride, and it is a safer rig by planting all tires more firmly on the road, ideal for taking on the curved byways. On a curve in the road, the brakes will do their job much better with a more evenly distributed load.

I would first invest in HD bars, then if you are still in need of parking jacks, then go that next step. Either way, you won't regret the HD bars.

* This post was edited 06/04/12 05:13pm by ron.dittmer *

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 22' Ford E-350 chasis, I installed two jacks, on the rear frane, they where not welded, they where bolted to the frames, via drilled holles.

I also have, two more jacks, that I use in the front, to levell and stabilize the rv, We also carry, a small automovil jack, that we place, close to the door, on the frame, this jack stops the rocking, when I enter, my wife gets dizy very easy.

And yes, I level and stabilize, the RV, I would not recomend welding, on the frame rails, they weaken at that point, that is one reason, that we have a small Rv, no welded extentions. I do not know, if this will work, with other frames, the ford frame, is strong enough, that it does not bend, it stays true.

When we where looking for RV's, I had the opportunity, to drive a chevrolet unit, the same size as mine, it twisted when exiting the dealer lot, I wathched the rear window, in the rear mirror, I was surprized, at the amount of twist, the Ford unit, on the same lot, same conditions, no twisting, 10 yers latter, no twisting, even on bigger gradients.

hope it helps

Navegator

pondigger

Wi

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Ron...thanks for the advice...got any idea how much rear and front bars would be....I'm sure the shocks are original too and I see a lot of folks talking about bilstein shocks....are mine toast with 36k on them....you know who might handle these internet or brick and mortar....thanks again....

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used two in the front, bolted to the frame and two in the rear behind the rear wheels bolted to a square steel tube that is bolted to the frame.
We level and stabilize using a battery operated impact wrench to raise and lower the jacks.

"Oath Keeper"
Joe & Deb And A Conure Named Buzz

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Scissors jacks to stabilze 23' Jayco
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: