Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Which Car is best for towing behind motorhome
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Which Car is best for towing behind motorhome

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO the most widely towed vehicles are the Jeep Liberty and Wrangler, Saturn Vue, Ford Focus, and Honda CR-V. Are they the best? it depends on who you talk to. They all have there pluses and minuses. Remember besides towing it you will have to live with this vehicle on a daily basis, so you want something that works for you for a daily ride.
I had a '08 Liberty which was a good toad. I currently have a Wrangler and a Ford Edge as toads. I really like the Edge for both daily driver and it tows well.
IMO the best thing is to check out the various vehicles and decide which is best for YOU.

Alfred622

Rochester, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a Honda CRV using a ReadyBrute tow bar/brake. It has worked great through the Midwest plains, the Western Mountains, Northern forests, and getting through large cities. All we do is run the CRV Engine in the morning and shift through transmission gears. We repeat that process every 5 hours when we're driving long stretches.

Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow an 1,800 lb smart car. They are very easy to tow. The only modification (other than the tow bar setup) is a $15 battery disconnect switch to turn off the car's computer while towing.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

tsjoshua

Chesapeake, VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a Jeep Wrangler. It was easy to setup. Started with a Reese Towbar and a supplenental braking system. Wiring was fairly simple. If you go this way I can help with some specifics on the setup.

USN Retired - ETC(SS/SW) - AFT VARIETY

Currently working at Norfolk Naval Shipyard
2005 Georgetown, 37'
2003 Jeep Wrangler

rtomson

here

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your help. It is truly appreciated. It looks like there are a lot of options. We'll check the web sites you recommended. We do plan to have a supplemental breaking system. Does anyone have an opinion on the type of breaking system(s) to use? I saw an ad for a wireless one called Invisibrake. Is that thing any good? Or would it be better to use one of those robot things that actually actuate the brake peddle? Or some other approach?

Thanks again. Robert

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two or 3 answers to this quesiton:

1: Depends on what you have "in stock" that is your current car, can it be towed, or modified for towing? If so that is by far the least expensive.

2: There is not best.. However there may be a best FOR YOU, but there is no single best, there is a long list of cars that need little or no modification however.

3: JEEP, that is my personal choice, several models, but when I get to my next towed I will start by shopping for a jeep, or equivlent, and check the curb weight for the lightest one I can afford.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rtomson wrote:

Hello. Wife and I are very new to RV'ing. I'm sure this topic has been covered before with the newbes, but I can't seem to find where in the blogs. We have just purchased a Thor ACE 29ft and would like to know which cars to consider for towing behind the motorhome. I have done some research and now understand that a flat 4 wheels down tow is the top recommended method. But beyond that we are lost and need some guidance. We only need a small car to take day trips and get groceries. Wold like to know which car(s) are recommended for our situation. And I've read that in some states some type of suplemental braking is required. Don't know anything about that and need help there too. Can someone point us in the right direction?Thanks, Robert.

Whatever car you decide to buy please make sure the vehicles 'owners manual' says it can be towed 4 down. I found out real quick that dealerships will tell you that every car you look at is capable of being towed 4 down.

Push the salesman aside and go right for the glovebox and pull out the manual. It's under "Recreational Towing" in the index. There it will show you if it has to be dolly towed or 4 down.

Check out BlueOx.com for the tow bar and base plates.
Check out BrakeBuddy.com for the supplemental braking.

This will give you some information and an idea of how that all works and what is needed, although there are other brands to choose from.

I tow Chevy Tracker 4x4.

Good Luck!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mm047

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend AVOIDING any Ford product that has an automatic tranny. Some of them may be OK, but both read the fine print in the owner's manual and search thru the Dinghy Towing forum here before you buy.

There are too many other good and easy choices out there to mess around with Ford products.

What company was it that used to have the slogan "Ask the man who owns one."?

Mile M.

2008 Winnebago View 24J
2010 Mercury Mariner
Ready Brute Elite and Blue Ox

Kirk

Livingston, Texas.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have towed several different vehicles, but find our two Honda, CR-V's were the best choice. The manufacturer even includes a section in the owner's manual titled "Towing Your CR-V Behind a Motorhome."

Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeep Wrangler or Subaru Outback, manual transmission only. I have it in writing from Subaru that towing 4-down is fine. If you don't mind driving a stick, the Outback is a great, all-purpose vehicle and a great daily driver. It's fantastic in the snow, gets great mileage, holds a good amount of stuff yet isn't overly huge. We also towed my Chevy Tahoe but that's a bit of a behemoth of a vehicle.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Which Car is best for towing behind motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS