Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: portable ac
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> portable ac

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
mcjohnson2001

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

does anyone have any preferances on the portable ac units reading mixed reviews on them at home depot, we have a 10 x 14 tent since our pop up was totaled due to water and mold leaking in and we have not found a tt yet we like to sleep in a cool tent one thats not sticky we wont be in it much during the day, just curious as to anyone that has one and what brand and how many btus

gmajane

United States

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope you get some responses to this. I'd like to use one on my little teardrop camper. It is kind of like a hard sided tent

rv2go

Fulltime (Knoxville, TN).... or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may work for you.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

goodwin297

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rv2go wrote:

This may work for you.

Where we stay at in Odessa, TX, there are several tents with setups like this. Of course, they aren't camping, they are living in them. Lodging is hard to come by in Odessa and Midland because of the drilling. We have to book months in advance when we come here.

www.midessaoilpatchrvpark.com

Full-Time RVers since 6/16/2012

Our home:
'05 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 33RL
(2015 Evergreen Bay Hill 340RK - delivery 2nd week 09/2014)
'14 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Diesel Crew Cab
Doggies - Molli, Indi and Louie

www.mysimplysaiddesigns.com/trudi

mcjohnson2001

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the idea on the window ac unti but i was not wanting to cut a hole in the tent that is why i was asking about the portable ac units that would be able to set inside the tent rather than cutting a hole in the tent, i have seen this idea and its okay but not what i wanted to do because we wont always need the ac, the portable units are on wheels and a vent hose and drain hose can be put out the door and no invasive cutting on the tent but i appreciate the info its just not what i looking for, i was wanting info on the portable ac units and how man btus and brand thanks for any info on these

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

fordsooperdooty wrote:

When you get the Portable A/C unit..make sure it's the type with "DUAL HOSES"!

A few years ago we installed a portable Samsung Air Conditioner in our Pop-Up Jayco...vented it under the dinette seat with 2 dryer vents to the outside and it worked extremely well. The Dual Hose unit is way more efficient and will easily cool down the RV. A single hose unit is only going to struggle with poor results, as it has to work harder to keep up.

Simply put, the single hose unit exhausts the hot air from the A/C unit outside, creating a vaccum effect inside the RV, and "make up air" inside the RV has to come from somewhere....and that somewhere is hot outside air being sucked into your RV from window seams and doors cracks.

A dual hose unit exhausts the hot air from the inside of your RV, and air from the outside gets sucked into the A/C units coils and blown back outside via the 2nd hose. No hot exterior "make up" air comes into the RV living space. This means a cooler interior.

The dual hose unit also usually has no need for a drain pan or drain hose, and moisture is vented to the exterior.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't have a cut a hole in the tent to use the window unit if you have a tent with two doors. Many people around here just sit the unit on a milk crate or blocks, and duct tape the tenting around the unit.

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
4 K9s
Our photos

Shadow Catcher

NW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our experience at home was that the claimed BTU was not what was put out, VERY inefficient. I rigged up a 5,000 BTU window unit with two 4" hoses one for the intake one for the cool air and it works great with our teardrop trailer. I did have to use a 4" bilge blower to help with air movement through the system to prevent icing. Used an adjustable PMW to vary the blower speed. Outlay about $150 to $200.

SkiingSixPack

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an LG 9000 btu model in my man cave. Works great. It draws 9.2 amps and uses a 15 amp plug in. The space is about 14 x 10 with 10 foot ceilings. I would think it would do fine in a tent. It kept a 12 foot pup cool in about 80 degree heat. We only ran it at night.

Good luck!

My better half
DS-15,DD-13,DS-12,DS-12
Summit Red Sunshine-1
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> portable ac
Search:   Advanced Search