Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Tow Dolly vs trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Tow Dolly vs trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
smikles

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This information is probably on here but I can't find it so I wil ask the question:
What is anyones experience with the tow dolly vs using a trailer with all wheels up?

I have a toyota Prius and it cannot be pulled 4 down.

Any pros and cons would be appreciated, This is my first motorhome and experience with this.
Thanks
Sonny

jk31668

so. new jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have a buick century with fwd and use a mastertow dolly. it is much easier to just unload the car and push it out of the way many times at the rear or front of my campsite. it takes me 7 minutes to hookup or unhook. a trailer is larger and much heavier and more difficult to deal with at a c/g. a dolly is much cheaper too. but whatever you do, make sure you get one with brakes on it. many times they are sold without which makes no sense.

Nomadac

Columbus, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used a tow dolly, enclosed car trailer and now 4 down. We towed our 96 RAV4 on a dolly for 6 years with no problems. I had a hitch on the back of the RAV to move the dolly to my campsite. Never had a problem with parking the dolly at my site. I used to take me approx. 10 min. to load and strap the car down.

The enclosed trailer I use for my 63 Grand Prix to go to car shows. For a Prius you could find a 16' open trailer. The advantage of a car trailer is no wear on the tires, etc. for the Prius vs. towing with rear wheels on the ground. You can also backup a car trailer, vs. you cannot a dolly w/car loaded. You need a pull through site to keep the car trailer attached while en route. I never found a problem parking the trailer at a campground, but best to call ahead to check. Usually if you can't park at your site, they will usually have you park it in a parking lot at the CG.

Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have towed a vehicle in every way possible and we much prefer towing on a trailer. Easy to back up and no wear and tear on the vehicle.

Our trailer is small so it is easy to store under the back of the motorhome. Larger trailers are obviously harder to deal with.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

smikles

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys seems like both have their pros and cons, decisions, decisions.

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smikles wrote:

Thanks guys seems like both have their pros and cons, decisions, decisions.

Indeed so.

We tow 4 down, and towed with a dolly briefly. Would really like to just use a flatbed trailer strictly 'cause of the fact it'd let you back up when on the road. However, big issue I have with a trailer is, just what we'd do with the trailer when we get to our destination.

..I really, really wish, someone would make a trailer like the one 'John and Angela' have, that could handle a larger vehicle like we have (minivan), yet could fold up or 'collapse' enough to be stowed out of the way at your campsite (like maybe under the MH). I'd be first in line to buy such, if anyone ever makes one.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pull a Prius on a Kar Kaddy. No problems at all. I did install electric brakes on mine though. You can backup but not much, unless your real straight. Storage of a dolly in a camp ground is a lot easier than a trailer. In most states( maybe all) you don't have to have a license plate for a dolly. Because of the air dam on the front, you will need to lengthen the ramps on your dolly, as the approach angle will not clear. I use the yellow three step ramps found at any good rv store.

smikles

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok I think I have decided on a tow dolly, next question is do you have to have a set of magnetic lights for the rear of the car or will the tow dolly lights work for legal purposes?

MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understanding is you don't need the extra lights.

But I'm interested in hearing from others. I just bought a Kar Kaddy SS. Towed my PT Crusier with my truck and Kar Kaddy about 50 miles to the original dealer today for the first time.

The surge brakes worked well. The pickup truck handled it with no problem so the rv should handle it easy.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smikles wrote:

Ok I think I have decided on a tow dolly, next question is do you have to have a set of magnetic lights for the rear of the car or will the tow dolly lights work for legal purposes?

Here in Montana, the law requires that if the load extends a certain distance beyond the taillights, a red flag or lights or reflectors is required on the end of the load.
The taillights of the towed vehicle have some reflective qualities, IF the angle of the line of sight is right.
Does that satisfy the law?
I don't know.
Personally, I would prefer to have the towed vehicle lights wired, or have magnetic lights, just as if it was towed four down! Just seems safer to me!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Tow Dolly vs trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing