Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Universal key...is it yours?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Universal key...is it yours?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Kittykath

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently discovered that most outdoor storage key and lock sets are the same, no matter what brand of camper. We forgot our keys at home and tried my brother's keys in our outdoor storage lock for kicks. Sure enough, it opened ours. And the neighbor's lock. And their neighbor's lock.

I understand this applies to the universal CH751 lock set which are installed to keep the manufacturer's cost down. For $20, we replaced the entire lockset and added a 2nd, so we now have unique keys. Or rekeying is another option. Both are easy mods.

Wonder why you may have items missing? Now you might have the answer.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a scary thought. Thank you for alerting us all. I will want to do something about that before we head out for the weekend.

Kittykath

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure to measure the thickness of the door before ordering.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought I had stuck the lock key in mine and it opened easier than usual. I looked down and I had my mail box key instead. I tried the rest of the keys on my ring and basically anything that will fit in the slot will unlock it.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
490w solar with dual Eco-worthy controllers.
345 ah bank.
Champion 3500/4000 w/ remote start.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can open the storage/basement area on your RV quicker without a key than with one. The only difference is the amount of damage the RV will suffer.

Don't let changing the locks give you a false sense of security. If it makes you feel better, that's fine, but the storage doors are no more secure than they were before.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine are like that but I wouldn't lock them anyway. There's nothing of real value in my compartments and if someone wanted to they could pry one open easily. The damage would far surpass what ever they stole.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been discussed dozens of times on the forums here. But I haven't seen it discussed in months. Thanks for bringing it up. It an important tidbit of info.....

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are other things that the key will open also. Anything you have that takes a key that size will probably work.
And the only thing we have had missing were two wine glasses that I left out on the picnic table in a dry county. Were they confiscated by a ranger or taken by a racoon?

Oakman

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I can open the storage/basement area on your RV quicker without a key than with one. The only difference is the amount of damage the RV will suffer.

Don't let changing the locks give you a false sense of security. If it makes you feel better, that's fine, but the storage doors are no more secure than they were before.

X2! I'd rather have a thief use a key rather than a pry bar.

2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
TomTom 540S XL GPS

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't bother changing my locks even if I had them. Mine only came with thumb latches on the storage doors, and that is fine with me. First off, I already know that key is pretty standard so I have never made a habit of putting anything of value in there and secondly, if someone really wants something those things are very easily broken into.

If someone wants to take my rubber mallot or awning mat it won't put me in the poor house replacing. They are the only two things in there that cost more than a couple of bucks. Oh and my sewer hose. But if someone wants to steal a USED sewer hose with someone else's bacteria all over it, they are indeed a sad situation and they can have it.

I've never had anything taken out of them in all the years I have camped, so I will keep running with my luck.

I do want one of those keys though as I lost the one to my outdoor shower. Anyone know if you can get them without going through the manufacturer? I rarely use it, but it would be nice to have a key in case I ever do.

To the OP, if you are worried about theft, I strongly suggest placing your valuables in the TT where its at least a little bit harder to break into.

* This post was edited 07/23/12 04:24pm by JayWalker2009 *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Universal key...is it yours?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS