Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: dumping gray water in forest
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> dumping gray water in forest

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was just reading about a guy looking for ideas how to link both his grey tanks together and one guy wrote he never dumps galley grey water on the forest floor but shower grey is another story. Well, I never could figure out what the difference is in tent camping and RV camping and the tent people throw all their grey water regardless of where it comes from out on the forest floor. why is it against the law for us to dump our gray water and not tent campers??? Or is it also against the law for tent campers too. I don't see any one carrying a 55 gal tank of grey water to a dump site. Always left me wondering. I am not trying to slam tent campers, as That is how I started out. I just got too old to sleep with a rock or a tree root in the middle of my back.

Jerrybo66

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it has to do with amount. A tent camper has an occasional pan of wash or dish water to dump that doesn't make much of a spot but a RVer may dump 40 gallion at a time. ??? IMO...

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, all dumping is illegal it's just some don't care what they do or when and how they do it. For some of us we follow the rules.

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It probably has something to do with the old adage, "Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile". If dumping grey water on the ground was endorsed, then many campsites would become mud holes. Having to dump grey water at a dump station provides an incentive for people to use the campground's shower facilities.

As far as tent campers go, we do not have showers so there is no shower water to dump. My dishwater goes in the fire pit. If I had to transport every pail of water to a dump station, I would quit tent camping.

Plus, rustic campgrounds often favored by tent campers have no dump station to begin with. So now that I have pumped a pail of water to wash my dishes, what in the heck am I supposed to do with it when I am done? Surely cannot dump it in the outhouse.

Aridon

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amounts are very different. If you are hard up and need to take a #2 in the forest I don't think anyone will say you are evil for doing so. One poop in the forest vs you pooping your pants isn't a big deal. Now dump 40 gallons of black in a spot and just about everyone will think you are a D bag.

See the difference?

Tent campers might have a pan of water they use to clean up. They might pee in the woods or maybe do a #2. Regardless their foot print is very low.

As opposed to me pulling up and dumping 70 gallons of grey water or 40 gallons of black in one spot. Tent campers can do it though so what is the difference? A big one to anyone with half a brain.

Not too mention my grey stinks like all hell since we live full time, use the sink like its a home and I don't think anyone would want to smell it festering in the soil.

2014.5 DRV Atlanta

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will dump true GRAY water (shower) anywhere it's legal to do so but I do NOT dump galley water with all the grease and dish washing residu in it. Galley water stinks as bad as black water and anywhere someone else camps (or me for that matter) it not a place to dump it.

As to the question about the difference, it's a matter of dumping a gallon or two from a dish pan vs dumping a 40 gallon garbage filled tank. Yes it may be the same KIND of stuff but certainly to a far different degree.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at a CG in NY this past weekend where the owner asked us to please let the grey water out on the grass as they have been having a drought.

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

carpetguy2

Rockford IL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a camp ground in Wisconsin that all season campers dump there grey water in the forest.And any one else that camps near the woods also does it.
Never seen it muddy or stink.

2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2010 Sandpiper 345 RET
2011 Harley Ultra limited
20 ft Searay 190 Seville

workhardplayharder

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use grey water at home from washing machine to water fruit trees. No issues and trees are very healthy.

garyhaupt

Back living in Kitimat..northern BC.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one of these topics a person could bet on the hand wringing and righteous indignation, and win, every time.

IF a person in an RV pulled in with FULL tanks and dumped on the ground, that would be a mess until it all was absorbed. And they would be the ones sitting in it. For the most part, people do not drain from the RV onto the ground, simply because we can store it easily and dump at a designated location. There are those that have a garden hose attached to the end-cap and let the water run out onto the ground. If a person is going to be parked there for any length of time, sooner or later...that water has to go somewhere. There's only so much room to store it.

The only time grey water smells if it has been sitting in the tanks for a fair length of time. It doesn't just start smelling the second it goes down the drain.

And yes, in many places it is illegal. So is speeding, over-weight rigs, a beer in the drivers lap, littering, etc, etc, etc. All those who never never ever do any of the etc's? you go to the head of the class. The rest of us, get to use common sense.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> dumping gray water in forest
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS