Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Making threats to get a refund
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Making threats to get a refund

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had a customer call and cancel a reservation for arrival today. They have had the site reserved for a month and a half. I have turned dozens of people away in those six weeks since this is my busy season. The lady told me if I didn't refund her deposit immediately she will be writing bad reviews about the park. I am very clear about my deposit policy on my website and on my email confirmations and my staff and I explain the policy on every reservation we take, no refunds with less than 14 days notice. I feel the deposit I take is more than reasonable, it is actually less than a one night's stay, not 50% of the total stay like some parks in my area take. I was willing to give them the option of applying the deposit on a future visit until they issued their threatening ultimatum. So I guess I will be getting some bad reviews from people who have never seen or stepped foot onto my property.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree in principle but is it really worth 1/2 a nights fee to get bad reviews?

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
720w solar with three Eco-worthy controllers.
345 ah bank.
Champion 3500/4000 w/ remote start.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you did the right thing. Time to move on.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV Reviews has it benefits and it can also be detrimental to your service. A friend of mine has a condo he rents. The website he advertizes through has a place for remarks. He has 1 bad review in 15 yrs. of rentals. It was from a disgruntaled renter and he cannot get it removed. He feels it has caused clients to pass over his site and go to other sites with no bad reviews.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

I just had a customer call and cancel a reservation for arrival today. They have had the site reserved for a month and a half. I have turned dozens of people away in those six weeks since this is my busy season. The lady told me if I didn't refund her deposit immediately she will be writing bad reviews about the park. I am very clear about my deposit policy on my website and on my email confirmations and my staff and I explain the policy on every reservation we take, no refunds with less than 14 days notice. I feel the deposit I take is more than reasonable, it is actually less than a one night's stay, not 50% of the total stay like some parks in my area take. I was willing to give them the option of applying the deposit on a future visit until they issued their threatening ultimatum. So I guess I will be getting some bad reviews from people who have never seen or stepped foot onto my property.

I understand how frustrating it can be to run a business. I do have a question. If this is your busy season and you are turning people away, is it necessary to require a 14 day notification to cancel? That is way too long. I think 48 hours is more reasonable. Is it worth a negative review rather than bend the rules and have a satisfied customer? Lots of people use those RV park reviews,(me included).

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So where do they plan on posting and who will read it and give it credence? Could be just an empty threat.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Helmsey

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stand your ground. I'm not real sure how to word this, but here goes. If I read a negative review, and it is based on the customers action and them not getting what they want, when the policy is clearly stated, I would take it with a grain of salt. If they can't provide any insight into the CG, its facilities, or its staff I don't know that it would be of any use to me anyway.
Of course thats just my opinion.

KK4PFX
2011 Ford F-450 4x4 Lariat
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Days camped in 2012: 34
Days camped in 2013: 30
Days camped in 2014: 29

Mr.Beebo

Illinois

View Profile

Yes, with that attitude, it would be worth the 1/2 days deposit to me.
People who demand to be excused for their behavior always draw my curiosity. What are they thinking? The owner ties up the site and loses potential customers, then faces extortion by the would be camper for not letting them off the hook. I'd inform them I'm placing their names on the office wall so I and my staff will never forget to refuse them any future service.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

I may not fully understand the dynamic here bit if this is during your busy season, won't it be easy to fill the spot again?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

Personally, I take such reviews with more than a "grain of salt". Especially those that can be considered as coming from just plain nasty people.
Now, if she says that you don't enforce the quiet time rules, or the pet rules, or that you show favoritism towards some people, or some such thing, or that your park is between the freeway and the railroad tracks, that might give me cause to stop and think a bit before calling for a site.
But, a complaint about refund refusal when the policy is clearly stated? I would chalk that up to a "customer" that is dumber than a box of rocks (I met many of them in my last job).
It certainly would not cause me to bypass your establishment!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Making threats to get a refund
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues